LJ modifications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zmotorsports

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Too bad about that LJ, looked like a nice one.  Glad no one was hurt.  It looks almost identical to the one our son just purchased.  His is an 04 LJ with 4" lift and 33" tires.  We have been building/modding it for the past two months and the last thing on the list is the axles which we will be commencing in a few weeks as soon as his semester of college ends.  He is wanting to bring it to Moab for the rally in May.

Mike.

Note from John:  I split these posts off the Kingman Thanksgiving trail report

Thanks Mike!  Good deal on the son's LJ, the one that rolled was very nice looking - hopefully it's not a complete write-off.  At the Kingman rally were more LJs than I have ever seen in one place, must have been five or six.

My winter projects are to outboard the rear shocks, move the rear spring perches aft, install a rear AntiRock and new frame body mounts. I would like to 4 link the rear and 3 link the front axle, but that might be too ambitious time and talent wise.

Sounds like some great mods you have in mind.  I love those LJ's though.  When I was looking for JK Unlimited's last year and not finding what I wanted, a clean virgin rig, I almost bought an LJ until I stumbled across the JKU I currently have.  I really like the extra wheelbase/length of the LJ's, they look cool as hell as well as wheel great.

I don't know about where you are at but you don't see too many around here, especially when we get off-road, mostly YJ's and TJ's around here followed closely by JK's.

My son wants to long-arm his once we get the axles re-geared with his Truetracs so I am sure we will be doing that once he saves up from the last go around of parts.  He would really like to have the long-arm upgrade on it by the May rally in Moab.  We are also heading to Moab in the first of March but it is doubtful the long-arm will be on by then.

Mike.

I was thinking about long-arming mine but got talked out of it.  Everybody said I would hate it due to dragging the arms on everything.  The mid-length arms seem to be the ticket - 4-link rear and 3-link front.

Yep, that is the downside to long-arms.  I have a BDS long-arm suspension under my 2011 JKU and love it.  Great on-road manners yets great flexing off-road.  I told my son to drive it for a while and wheel it a few times before he long-arms it.  Currently it rides great for a short arm, due to the design of the Rough Country arms I really don't know if he would gain much in ride quality with a long arm on his, flex might be a different issue so we will see.

I have scraped a few times on my arms but nothing major.  I don't have mine loaded up with armor because I am pretty anal when we go off-road, I don't like scraping on anything.  Some of the guys I wheel with use their armor and sliders as pivot points, but that is just not me. 

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
.. Some of the guys I wheel with use their armor and sliders as pivot points, but that is just not me. 

LOL - that's what we do.  I've beat up the body mounts (the brackets on the side of the frame rails) so badly that I'm replacing them with after-market armored ones.  Lower control arm brackets beat to heck, etc.  If we're not crashing and banging, then the trail is too easy  ;D.

John Canfield said:
LOL - that's what we do.  I've beat up the body mounts (the brackets on the side of the frame rails) so badly that I'm replacing them with after-market armored ones.  Lower control arm brackets beat to heck, etc.  If we're not crashing and banging, then the trail is too easy  ;D.

Then I guess I will stick to the "easy" trails. ;D

Mike.

Here are a few pictures of my LJ. Look at the arm angles. I have spent days working on the design of this . Trying to keep the CG down. I am hoping to be able to spend more time on getting this thing down after the new year.

When I get a chance I will take a few picture of my wife's TJ. I made rear lower control arms that go over the rear axle and mount on the rear. I will never drag them on anything. They are a J shape. It works real well. There is no bump steer and the Jeep does not rise or settle like some Jeeps do.

Attachments

• jeep 017.jpg
    jeep 017.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 30
  • jeep 015.jpg
    jeep 015.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 28
John Canfield said:

John, on the LJ that I am building right now, instead of using a 1" body lift I installed new body mounts from Genrite and I welded them in at 1" higher than stock. Got the body lift and raised the mounts out of danger some. Just a thought?

hes4all said:
John, on the LJ that I am building right now, instead of using a 1" body lift I installed new body mounts from Genrite and I welded them in at 1" higher than stock. Got the body lift and raised the mounts out of danger some. Just a thought?

Wow, what a super neat idea!  Here's the body mounts I ordered from Swag Offroad - I'll wager I can push these up and eliminate the six spacers.  Hmmm.. I wonder if I can find the six OEM body bolts I removed.

You should start a build thread for your long arms - I'm interested!

You might want to look at the Genrite mounts. I forgot that they came set up to weld in at 1" higher. You can leave the rubber in and get the 1" or take it out. Here is a link for you. http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=BMT2001

Making a little more head way on my LJ. Got the front end set, now just have to weld it all up. I have to admit those 42"s look good.

Attachments

• low j2.jpg
    low j2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 33
  • low j.jpg
    low j.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 40
Thank you guys. The front view is with the shocks fulling compressed. I am doing my best to keep the CG as low as possible. That is why we cut the frame in a few spots to raise it to make room in the rear and to narrow the front. I hope to have it driving in two months. Still alot to do like roll bar paint and tons of welding.

John Canfield said:
Nice welds!
John, I have been told that I am a good welder, at best I am decent. These welds are from my buddy who is awesome at it! He is also really good at fabricating.

Here are a few more pictures of my LJ, Starting to get close to having it done.
Here is a picture at full turn and droop
And one is at full turn and full compression.

Attachments

• jeep3.jpg
    jeep3.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 24
  • jeep4.jpg
    jeep4.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 20
Looking great Terry! 

You've got great articulation on the front - I'm envious!  Looks like GenRight fenders?  I'm also salivating over your two post lift - I'm thinking more and more about getting one.  What kind is yours?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom