Location of Fuse for Automatic Steps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JudyJB

Hard keeping up with things breaking, but now my steps are not working, and my son and I tried to find the fuse for them. Chassis is Ford e450 SuperDuty, and I suspect the fuse is on the panel under the dashboard, but we cannot get it out. (It has been about four years, but I swear I remember being able to pull that fuse box out to see it better and more easily check the fuses to see if any are bad, but could not do it this time.)

Part of my problem is that I occasionally have vertigo and get dizzy when i bend over and try to stick my ancient head under my dash. Any suggestions where fuse might be, and if it is under dash, how you remove the fuse box to see it more clearly???

Good thing my rig is a C so I can enter and exit through the driver's door!!!

I would think the fuse or circuit breaker would be near the coach power relays. The fuse panel under the dash is a Ford fuse box for the chassis. Steps are usually chassis powered but the fuse is an add on, could be an inline fuse at the battery under the hood.

Is it stuck out, or in? Have you checked the magnet and magnetic switch on the bottom of the screen door? Wiring is usually exposed and gets bumped and damaged or comes loose.

Charles

The Kwikee Product Service Training Manual has a great trouble-shooting section. Without a 12V voltage/amp tester, you're on a Easter egg hunt.
As Charles said, the magnetic reed switch on the screen door, near the bottom is a likely culprit. The actual reed switch is the stationary half, it has 2 wire connection on it that can work loose or become so corroded continuity is lost.
The next suspect are the 2 ground wires from the step wiring to chassis ground, both should be clean and tight with solid continuity.
The motor controller works by sensing a rise in amp-draw. The motor is actually an auto window motor. The steps should be cleaned and lubricated monthly to prevent high resistance from fooling the controller into thinking the steps are either completely closed or open..

I suspect the fuse is on the panel under the dashboard, but we cannot get it out.
If you visit the Ford website, they have owner's manuals for the various chassis to download and they have charts that show was each fuse is for. The fuse block on my Ford chassis were not removeable to work with.

If you visit the Ford website, they have owner's manuals for the various chassis to download and they have charts that show was each fuse is for. The fuse block on my Ford chassis were not removeable to work with.
Thanks, but the Ford owner's manual has only the items that came with the cutaway chassis, and steps were added by Fleetwood, so there is nothing about steps listed there.

Any possibility it's the motor itself. Replaced ours a few years ago. Tested the old one and after removing It. Oddly it still worked. Then I read the step motor can have a dead spot and fail if it lands on that area when shutting down. In my case, and others that I read about, a gentle tap on the motor with a hammer will some times make it work. The motor is not expensive and replacing it quite easy if you can access the nuts that hold it in place. Good luck.

I agree with garyb1st, odds are the motor just conked out and as he says they're relatively inexpensive and easily installed.

Have you checked things out with a multimeter to know if it is getting electricity? Did you locate the fuse if it isn't? While you might get lucky if you just start changing parts, you could also spend a lot of money and not get it to work. We used the same electric step on our last class A for 14 years and while I did occasionally have to do some maintenance on it, I never once replaced a part. It was a Kwikee step.

I did find one fuse on the 12 volt fuse panel, but it was fine. Fleetwood sent me the electric schematic for my vehicle and told me there is another in-line fuse, but it is too hard for me to access. And, I agree it is probably the motor, but I like to eliminate the easy things first. Unfortunately, I cannot bend over far enough to see the motor without getting dizzy from vertigo.

I have a mobile RV technician coming tomorrow. I am pretty sure mine is a Kwickee step, also, but I painted over the name.

Also, does anyone want a copy of the electric schematic Fleetwood sent me for my 2012 30N Tioga Ranger? Probably similar for other models around that time.

Back
Top Bottom