Locked out of the coach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most license plate screws are slotted and can be screwed out with a coin.

Bruce

We got locked in our coach also...but it was the "antitheft" rods that had grabbed the metal door facing!  The lock was good ...until I ripped the handle off trying to get the ...think opened.  Having an inside screen door also prevented any access to the door latch....3 hours later we finally got the door facing ripped off enough to force the door open.
When replacing the lock with a new Bauer lock assembly I almost locked myself out again....THAT is when I found out that the rods above and below the latch were grabbing the door facing!  A little metal filing cured that.
CHECK your door facing to see if the anti-theft bars are dragging on the door frame!  IT WILL LOCK YOU OUT!

Deja vu all over again, almost.

Yesterday I headed over to the storage lot to re-attach the remaining hardware (e.g. door handle, screen door catch, and trim bits).  Visited the coach a few times to run the generator, charge batteries, and cool down the fridge. This morning I loaded up the Burb and headed to the coach. Couldn't open the door! Headed back to the house, picked up Chris and a stepladder, and attempted opening from the inside (after entering via a window). Turns out that the screen door latch was sufficiently out of adjustment to get hung up.

The last item I reattached yesterday was the fixed part of the screen door latch, the bit that's screwed to the entry door. With that in place, the two doors 'lock' to each other and, when the screen door got hung up, the entry door wouldn't move. Decided to just disable the screen door latch and get to it when we get home. Too much other stuff going on today.

No doubt about it Tom, it's out to get ya. Just to be on the safe side, you might want to take the bathroom door off the hinges too. Could be dangerous to get locked out of that one!

Kev

Aye Kevin, and maybe I should leave a roof vent open, just in case  :(

Aye John. I'm glad Chris didn't have a hammer today; Thanks to a hip issue, she opted for me to go up the ladder and in the window, but neither of us are as agile as we used to be, and I've put on a few lbs (and inches). So Chris gave me a "helping shove" through the window.

Tom said:
she opted for me to go up the ladder and in the window, but neither of us are as agile as we used to be, and I've put on a few lbs (and inches). So Chris gave me a "helping shove" through the window.

Video, we want video! :D

Kevin Means said:
No doubt about it Tom, it's out to get ya. Just to be on the safe side, you might want to take the bathroom door off the hinges too. Could be dangerous to get locked out of that one!

Kev

Back about 5 years ago, we were at a state fair in Maine. We go every year and camp right there on the grounds. A couple of sites down from us was a single elderly lady in a Class C with 3 small dogs. To keep the dogs in the bedroom, she put up a baby gate. She went to the bathroom and closed the door. The dogs jumped up on the gate it fell in the hallway and trapped her in the bathroom. I remember walking by her rig and all I could hear was HELP!  HELP!  Luckily her outside door wasn't locked. I went in and found what had happened and rescued her. We see her every year and we just laugh about it now but it wasn't too funny for her back then. She was so embarrassed.  :mad:

I broke in the front door with a claw hammer, broke the latch but handrail latch kept door closed while traveling so no problem. got home had a keyless/ keyed entry lock installed, key on mine & wife's ring, spare in truck which has a keyless entry too. Will head advice from others and leave a window looking closed but not latched and if need be i'll bust in again, that simple.

This is why I love my remote entry key pad on our new tow vehicle.  ;D

I also hide a spare key to every vehicle on the outside that does not have the key pad to open it.

A keypad and/orhidden key wouldn't have helped in either of my coach lockouts.

A little off topic, but my wife and I  ride ATVs. Each one of us has a key for the others' machine on our machine's keyring, plus a house key and a key to the RV's coach door (Class C).  Figure the chances of losing both sets of keys on the trail at the same time is pretty slim. We also have 2 key/ FOBs for our KIA Sorento tow vehicle so we each carry one with us on our machines, when we're using that vehicle.

I have a habit of locking my door/ignition key in the car.. For many years I carried 2 sets (one on each side) NO with the motor home keys being so heavy I just keep the ignition keys on the little ring (3 keys total Car/Motorhome/Bicycle lock) and the rest on the big ring (all the comparmtment keys, duplicate bicicye keys, Trunk KEY engine compartment key.

If I lock myself out of the car... I have a spare ring (original keys no less) in the trunk

If I lock myself out of the motor home (possible) A: I can open door w/o keys  B: spare keys in combination safe (Realtor's key safe) Hidden where I can get at it and punch in numbers.

Used that once when I did not want to give away the secret entry method.

I locked my keys in my motorhome in Joshua National Park, at the south end with no cell service and an almost two-hour drive at 35-45 MPH through the park speeds for the guys who came to unlock my vehicle.  I got to be very good friends with the rangers who had to radio my predicament to their main office and then have them call CoachNet to come rescue me.  I spent about three hours with them in the visitor center so I am sure they were very happy to see me drive off.

Since then I keep an extra single key in my purse and one hidden where no one will every find it without taking the rig apart.  Am also avoiding this national park in case they recognize me next time! 

Back
Top Bottom