locking reverse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumford

I am in the uk and have just purchased a 1995 southwind rv on a p30 chassis to be shipped from us to uk

it is stuck at the port  at the moment as  when they put it in reverse it locks up the rear wheels

any obvious or common fault you can advise with

many thanks

tony mumford

Tony,

Adding to Karl's comment, many vehicles require you to press on the brake pedal before the transmission will shift out of park. Could this be the case?

thanks for the replies, I am not at the port so not sure of the extent of the problem, but the email the freight forwarders got from the shipping company was:

"Please note that subject unit did not load the Franconia v.141a. The port advises that the wheels lock up when put into reverse. Please make arrangements to have this cargo repaired and advise when complete.  Booking has been rolled to the Pamplo v.49A.  A revised booking confirmation has been sent to you in a separate email."

I assume that the parking brake is a propshaft brake, so maybe the problem is related to the propshaft, but I guess that might be the same in forward?

I have emailed the dealer on North Carolina who has been really good so far, and see what he comes up with

thanks again

Just as I posted the last message an email came through form the dealer in North Carolina - said he was good

Also looks like the ?replies ?you posted are in the ball park

the email says:

"Hello Tony, ?I know what the problem is and it is a very minor adjustment. ?I have talked with man at dock and told him what to do and I think that this will take care of problem. He is going to check it out and get back to me. ?If this does not do it I will get someone up there to get it taken care of. ?This unit being Chevrolet powered has an automatic parking brake that comes on when you put it in park. ?The switch that actuates it is out of adjustment and is not releasing till it gets past reverse. Common problem on this brand of unit. Very easy fix. ?I will let you know when he gets back with me. ?Am very sorry for the problem but had no problem on trip up to port. ? Seaton "

thanks again

Thanks for the feedback Tony. Didn't realize the switch was adjustable. Glad to hear it's an easy fix.

Thanks for the update Tony.? Glad your dealer is giving you support and that it is not a serious problem.? Might be worthwhile to get the details on where that switch is and how to adjust it just in case it happens again.

You know... I don't have that model, (Mine is a W series, not a P series) but guess what.... That problem is explained in my owners manuals.

Now, before you start feeling bad, let me explain that I read for pleasure, And on a slow night at the dispatch desk I'll read anything I can lay my eyes on, this includes instruction manuals and owner's manuals,  And guess what, my motor home came with a LOT of owner's manuals... I mean A LOT of them, about 20 pounds of them, its' a big zipper bag and as I add things like inverters and Satallite TV and Internet antennas and DVR's and such... it's getting bigger.

The manual you want to look at is the one for the Allison Transmission

Back
Top Bottom