Looking for advice on TT.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hamilton Tom

New here,

Just started looking over this weekend. Have a 2008 tundra crew max 5.7L with tow package. Wanting a lightweight trailer around 7-8000 lbs. with tongue around 1,000 or less. Would like to get around 30' or so. Also want to sleep 6-10. will be just DW and myself with possible family members on occasion. Would like to stay around $25k. Would love to hear from some who own and are happy( or even ones to stay away from). Also like to stay away from used, since I'm not to sure of what to look for.

Kinda liking the keystone and rockwood brands.

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. Will be doing some winter camping as well, I live in cincinnati area.

I had a 2011 Tundra 4x4 with the tow package. I was towing a 30' ?Winnebago One? that weighed 7900 lbs loaded.

The only things I did to the truck to help make it a better tow truck was install E-rated tires, added air bags (which I didn't need or use) and installed a rear sway bar. The truck did a pretty good job.

I ended up selling the truck because I wanted to move to a 5th/W and the Tundra wasn't rated to carry the weight.

After I got the new 3/4 ton Chevy I towed the TT around for about 3 months before I bought the 5th/W. It surprised me how much better the Chevy handled the weight of the TT. Even though the Tundra had a tow rating of 10,200 lbs I think the truck was at its limit towing 8000 lbs.

Before I bought the Winnebago I had a 30' R-Vision that weighed about 5600 lbs going down the road. The Tundra liked towing it much better.

Hello,

We have a Shadow Cruiser 280QBS (Quad bunks),  28' (about 30' with tongue) - sleeps 10.  Dry it's about 4900.  I tow it at about 6000.  I'm pulling with a 2006, F150 5.4L, 3.73 axle. 

We love it so far. Admittedly, we are new to the RV game.. we bought it last fall and didn't get to use it until this summer.  We've taken 2 'official' trips with it.  We have two children, 5 and 7, and they love having their own room in back - though they don't actually want to sleep that far from us (haha and also :( for the misses and me).  Quad bunks (one that folds up, and one that turns into a table in the back room).  The dinette turns into a bed, of course, and so does the sofa.  Then the bedroom has a queen.  At a little over 6' tall, my feet will hang off, unless I want to try cramming my head right up against the bulkhead - so that's the most spacious bed, and a bit on the cramped side for me.. but not that big of a deal. I wouldn't get rid of it for that.

The Shadow Cruiser is of good enough quality for the price point (I think), but we definitely walked through nicer when we were looking that were also a bit more $$$.  Brand new I believe it's under your budget that you listed.  We got a used 2012 in 2012, so we got quite a bit off.

Hope that's of at least some use to you.

We started out last August buying a 1988  32' Yellowstone TT  it was just for me and SWAMBO to take with us to her first 3 month job assignment in VA from Iowa.  I knew nothing about trailer camping and had been against it most of my life.  The TT cost $3400 and needed new hubs bearings, brakes and tires. 

We used it until June 1st and hauled it back to Iowa after her 2nd assignment was done in Columbia, SC,  sold it for $4500 and moved up to a 2008 Sunny Brook Brook Side we bought from an old couple in their 80's and are now living in it in Neb for 3 months.  we learned a lot in the first 6 months and our New Trailer.  It was just like brand new with the lite use of the old couple,  it was their baby, they want us to call them from time to time and let them know where we are and send pictures.

Sunny Brook is an all Aluminum frame with a smooth exterior skin.  Very nicely built and New it would have been $36K+++  we bought it for  $15900 which I have recently seen is still $3K under a dealer.

Here is a brochure to look at.

http://www.sunnybrookrv.com/pdf/previous/2008/2008%20Brookside%20Brochure.pdf

Tom...

Thanks for the inputs. We are going looking tomorrow . Lots of options out there. Hopefully looking at them live will help narrow it down for us. Righ now we are leaning to the forest river, kodiaks and keystones.

Hamilton Tom said:
Thanks for the inputs. We are going looking tomorrow . Lots of options out there. Hopefully looking at them live will help narrow it down for us. Righ now we are leaning to the forest river, kodiaks and keystones.
My kids just bought a Dutchman Kodiak 291RESL. They pull it with a 1/2 ton SUV. It is a super nice TT and they seem to be pretty happy with the way there truck handles the trailer. Their truck is a Chevy with the 6.2 which has about the same power as your Tundra.

warsw said:
My kids just bought a Dutchman Kodiak 291RESL. They pull it with a 1/2 ton SUV. It is a super nice TT and they seem to be pretty happy with the way there truck handles the trailer.
Thanks for the tip. Just looked and the place we are going to has two in stock. Will definitely ck it out.

Waiting till Monday and going with....2013 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS. Very very spacious. Got it used, went out one time and sold for 24,790. Hope to take out this next weekend.

You might consider used units as well. It seem more people have better luck with used units than new units.  Do a bit of reading I'm sure you'll see few threads of upset new owners.

Like my previous Dodge Jamboree motorhome I bought from Dad back in 94. He bought it brand new in 76. Well when I got it he handed over all the paperwork and I seen several work orders for warranty repairs for all kinds of things on that motorhome. By the time I bought it all issues have been fixed and it served me well till 2010 when I purchased the 2000 Jayco Eagle I got now and only had a few minor maintenance issues (replace brake pads and new tires).

As for your new RV I would always use the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the trailer and never look at any dry weights. Make sure your weight is below your Trailer Towing Capacity of the Vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FmStars
Back
Top Bottom