Looking for info on a towing vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firesq5

Im new to the forum and not sure where to post this ?.  I have a 27 ft. TT thats #6000 dry and approx. #7500 fully stocked. Im thinking of getting a Tundra with a tow capacity of #10400 but I dont know the fuel cunsumption while towing. Does anyone have a similar setup or can anyone offer any suggestions. Thanks :)

Typical gas motor will see 8-10 towing MPG.  If you get 11 get really excited.  If your worried about fuel economy then maybe your in the wrong place.

I'm getting 9-10 with my Yukon XL now, but it's only rated for #7400 and it has about 160k miles. I'm retiring at the end of July and want to get a new/newer vehicle. I dont want to get into a diesel because it will be used around town more than for towing. I just don't want to get a truck that gets 5 mpg while towing.

Look at one of the 07 or earlier diesels.  While they do not have the latest greatest gadgeta, pulling a medium size trailer you can do better than a comparable gas motor truck.  Pulling my 13,500 pound fiver last summer I saw as high as 12.5 and 18.5 non towing.  This at high elevations from a truck that is a later model diesel with 4.10 rear end dually.  Pulling lighter with better gearing you could easily get 13 and 20 non towing.  E earlier diesels dare hindered with all the emission junk so fuel economy is better and they are not the problems in town as the mid (07-11) trucks have experienced.

We averaged 13 mpg while towing a 11,000 lb trailer with a Ford diesel, but that was a dozen years ago, before the EPA fixed the diesel pollution problem.

Gary RV Roamer said:
We averaged 13 mpg while towing a 11,000 lb trailer with a Ford diesel, but that was a dozen years ago, before the EPA fixed the diesel pollution problem.

One of the few reason I don't upgrade to newer truck...  ;)

I know that there seems to be some who are not in favor of diesels. As a ranch owner I have owned numrous piclup trucks over the years We use light Dodge RAM 1500 trucks for local ranch work. For hauling and towing ranch and RV trailers, we have used RAM 3500 Duallies for years, with Cummins Diesels as long as Dodge has offered them.

With our experience, I would never own a 2500 or 3500 or larger truck to be used for hauling or towing that was not diesel. The original slightly larger cost over gas engines is more than made up with better fuel ecomomy, more power, longer useable life, and equally, if not easier, driving ability loaded or empty, towing or not towing. Furhermore, for hauling and towing we have learned to get the Diesel with dual rear wheels.

firesq5 said:
I'm getting 9-10 with my Yukon XL now, but it's only rated for #7400 and it has about 160k miles. I'm retiring at the end of July and want to get a new/newer vehicle. I dont want to get into a diesel because it will be used around town more than for towing. I just don't want to get a truck that gets 5 mpg while towing.

You shouldn't get 5 mpg on any modern EFI gas pickup.  Even my 24 year old 460 Ford F250 gets 8-9 pulling a 7700 lbs trailer.  The key is keeping your speed down.  Gas mileage plummets above 55 mph in my experience.  And I agree with the guys above....my next truck will be a diesel.  I tow in elevations up to 9700', and the gasser really starts to wheeze in the thin air.

If you get a 6.0 Chevy 2500 gasser with the 4.10 gears, you should still get 8-9 mpg towing. 

I pulled an 8K lb TT with 2011 Tundra. They are a great tow vehicle. I just recently switch to a 2012 Chevy Deramax only because I want to upgrade to a large 5th/w and the Tundra wasn't rated to carry the pin weight. If you are planning to stay with a TT that is around 8K lbs the Tundra will easily do everything you need and you can buy a lot of gas for the difference in price between a Diesel and Gas powered truck. I got between 10 and 11 mpg with the Tundra if I kept the speeds down around 60 mph and I get between 12 and 13 with the diesel pulling the same trailer. Diesel is about $1.00 more a gal so the gas motor was a little cheaper to run.

If your future might include a larger trailer, as mine did, then a diesel might be the way to go. It is with the larger trailers the diesels really start to strut their stuff.

Back
Top Bottom