Looking for MH Super C or A Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pastor Paul

Folks, First of all thank you for this forum and your efforts and contributions. I am looking for a motorhome that will serve a dual purpose. My mom is 85 and was going to build a MIL Apt on my property using the money from the sale of her home. Well due to construction issues where we live, she has decided to go with an RV. The RV will be parked on my property and I am going to install a power post for it. We will be traveling around the state of FL where we live and 3 to 4 times a year to Michigan. We will need to tow a Toyota Sienna(not purchased yet) to haul my wife kids and grandma around. I have been looking at used Tiffin Class As, Dynamax Super Cs, Jayco Senecas and Winnebago Diesel Pushers. Budget tops at 70K max. Need recommendations on the following:

1. Lift for mom to get in RV. Is there such a thing? I've seen a seated one, but that won't work due to frequency.
2. Towing recommendations/equipment for Sienna and or other vehicle suggestions 7 passenger capability.
3. Mobility Scooter for me due to ME/CFS and recommendations on hauling
4. Motorhome Recommendations/Caveats Engines, RV Manufactures
5. Insurance
I know I am asking a lot, but looking for real world practical advice. I managed Fleet Operations for a fortune 100 company for a while, so I know a little about med/heavy duty chassis and regulatory. This is from a management perspective, but did spend time with my guys in the garages to understand issues and big dollar maintenance items. Thanks again.

I have seen lifts on the back of toy haulers. Since you need to take a mobility scooter a toy hauler with a lift would be an easy way to transport it. They come in a variety of floorplans. The empty area can be used for extra furniture when unloaded. Since you live in FL make sure you get enough A/C to keep the whole thing comfortable. As far as towing,

Flat towing is way easier than trailering. Since you have not bought the toad yet you might consider buying a vehicle that can be flat towed instead of a Sienna.

To get the things that you want, even use your budget is very low. There are only 3 class A motorhomes that I am aware of that are built with a wheelchair lift and wheelchair access. Two are from Winnebago (Inspire diesel, & Adventurer gas) and one from Newmar (Canyon Star, gas). There are not a lot of them around and the special build causes all of them to cost more. I was able to locate several on RV Property that are used and one for sale by owner on National Vehicle.

Some points to consider:

• A Toyota Sienna is not 4-down towable, so it would have to go on a tow dolly or car trailer.
  • Used coaches with lifts are like hen's teeth and probably not bargain-priced either. But you can add a handicappped lift for around $3000 + installation, though they may not fit well with all floor plans and entry doors. Burr Handy Lift HD
  • Your budget is light for what you want but not out of the question. You would be looking at 15-20 year old diesels or 10 yo gas chassis coaches.
  • Not sure where a mobility scooter would go unless you add a scooter lift to the back end or can manage one of the collapsible models in a storage bay. Would you or someone be able to get it out and ready to move?
  • Coach chassis/engine/tranny are the least of the considerations if buying a diesel coach. There are some considerations that may make one a bit better than the another, but none of them are bad. A motorhome is a very light duty application for a Class A or Super-C chassis.
  • Besides a power post on your lot, you will need fresh water and sewage. The latter can make it really expensive. And all of those can put you afoul of local building & residential codes. No local code will approve it as an actual residence either - it has to be for recreational use only. Since you plan to drive it away at least a few times a year that gives you a legal out, but don't be surprised if you get grief from inspectors and code enforcers.
  • Since its a drivable vehicle, vehicle insurance has to include liability as well as whatever collision and comprehensive you want. That adds substantially to the annual cost. So does diesel vehicle maintenance needs, which aren't cheap. Think in terms of $1500/year to have routine maintenance done in a shop.

Last edited:
Paul, welcome to the forum. Help us understand what you're looking for. Are you saying you want to get a motorhome for your mom to live in and your whole family would also use it for vacations. So in your travelling you need accomodation for 3 adults plus how many children?
Wheel chair lifts are available to add on to most class a motorhomes. For mobility scooters, there are racks that can be added to a towed vehicle.

Some points to consider:

• A Toyota Sienna is not 4-down towable, so it would have to go on a tow dolly or car trailer.
  • Used coaches with lifts are like hen's teeth and probably not bargain-priced either. But you can add a handicappped lift for around $3000 + installation, though they may not fit well with all floor plans and entry doors. Burr Handy Lift HD
  • Your budget is light for what you want but not out of the question. You would be looking at 15-20 year old diesels or 10 yo gas chassis coaches.
  • Not sure where a mobility scooter would go unless you add a scooter lift to the back end or can manage one of the collapsible models in a storage bay. Would you or someone be able to get it out and ready to move?
  • Coach chassis/engine/tranny are the least of the considerations if buying a diesel coach. There are some considerations that may make one a bit better than the another, but none of them are bad. A motorhome is a very light duty application for a Class A or Super-C chassis.
  • Besides a power post on your lot, you will need fresh water and sewage. The latter can make it really expensive. And all of those can put you afoul of local building & residential codes. No local code will approve it as an actual residence either - it has to be for recreational use only. Since you plan to drive it away at least a few times a year that gives you a legal out, but don't be surprised if you get grief from inspectors and code enforcers.
  • Since its a drivable vehicle, vehicle insurance has to include liability as well as whatever collision and comprehensive you want. That adds substantially to the annual cost. So does diesel vehicle maintenance needs, which aren't cheap. Think in terms of $1500/year to have routine maintenance done in a shop.
Thanks for all the info. I think we are good with the mobility scooter issue.
Where I live is unincorporated AG-Res Tier, so I have a lot of leeway with water(we are on well), septic and electric. We are also allowed unpermitted structures, however we are going to do it the right way.
Any suggestions on road service and insurance programs?
I have actually found several units with pre-2010 Cat C7 and Cummins with Allison Tranny in our price range. Some of the coaches are unfamiliar to me such as Newmar, National and some others. I have discovered I am looking for a side entry and Tiffin has a few. I have been in a few mh and many of the diesels have the entry in the cab area. I understand the floorplan issue, but even in good shape those are a hefty step. I was going to build a platform for mom and I to enter, but the door would need room to open below that level, so an entry in the body of the unit would probably be better. I am looking for any suggestions and guidance. I found a Dynamax and Jayco Seneca in budget. They are about 10 to 12 years old.

I just happened to see this one for sale. Not mine and not sure if it fits all your criteria. Just remembered this thread when I saw the ad since you wanted a lift.

Newmar makes a series of handicap accessible motorhomes complete with wheel chair lifts, handicap accessible floor level showers, wider hallways, etc. A few other companies have also built handicap accessible coaches over the years, though many of them are more one off than production design like the Newmars.

As to towing the Sienna, they are not generally flat towable, Remco did make a transmission pump for them to allow flat towing, but unfortunately Remco went out of the RV towing business a year or two ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom