Looking for Tiffin 32sa leveling advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RvShark

Hey all!

We have a "new to us" 2017 Tiffin Open Road 32SA. Our driveway has a slight slope, and when I try to autolevel (HWH 725 leveling system) I end up with the "Excess Slope" error. The manual suggests moving to a more level spot or to use the manual mode to get it as close to level as possible. However if I do that, I'll end up with the back wheels being lifted right off the ground, and I'd rather not do that. I have a lot of the camco leveling blocks, so I can build some ramps to try to get level. Any suggestions or product recommendations? We used the anderson "crescent style" levers for our travel trailer, but it looks like all of that kind that I saw couldn't handle wheels over 32" (our look to be around 38".) Thanks for any insight or suggestions!

-Mark

Not safe to raise the rear wheels off the ground - nothing to keep the RV from rolling, no park and no park brake. Driving up on ramps would be the best. Use wide enough to get the duals. If you only drive one of the duals onto a block it will overload that tire.

However if I do that, I'll end up with the back wheels being lifted right off the ground, and I'd rather not do that.
By all means DON'T do that. On most rigs those back wheels are where the brakes are (you DID use chocks?) that keep the rig from moving and, among other problems, damaging the levelers. It's also much heavier than the front, and you'd need blocks under both tires on each dual.

If it says "Excess Slope" then you really DO need to find a spot that is more level. The computer is basically saying this location is really beyond what the leveling system is designed to do. I also wouldn't use those blocks, especially on the rear wheels, for fear of poor stability -- you don't want it sliding/falling off of those blocks. Like so many other things, the leveling system has its limitations, so you need a different site.

You only need it level if you are opening the slides or if you have a gas electric RV refrigerator, not a residential one. So first decide if you actually do need it level. Ours isn’t level in storage either, but that’s fine. We just move it in front of the house to load or unload. If you do need it level, can you go in the opposite direction you are now? For example, if you back in, drive in forwards. That would let you potentiall get rid of the rear wheels off the ground. Of course you would still need something on the front, but make a solid wooden ramp for the wheels and put blocks under the jacks.

Thanks all! We really wanted to put the slides out otherwise we'd probably not have bothered leveling. It turned out we had just enough of the Lynx blocks to get it near level, and then the levelers only had to lift one side a smidge, so it seems good and rear wheels are not off the ground at all. Here's what it looks like.. we are definitely planning to get more blocks to make the top footprint 2 squares instead of just one.20221112_160531.jpg

-Mark

Unless your blacktop parking area is not flat(humps and dips) you should not need to use your leveling system, just extend the slides with jacks retracted.
Side note: tires should not be stored long-term on blacktop. Some folks buy cheap plastic cutting boards to place under the tires.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom