Looking forward to traveling again, nice to meet you all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

campkitty

Hello all, I'm in the process of retiring and running off into the blue. I look forward to meeting other RVers out there on the road in my adventures. I'm shopping for a used 2017 or newer tow-behind travel trailer and able to travel across country for the right one. I need a bunkhouse floor plan and I love the outdoor kitchens on today's rigs. I've RVd in the past but never with a tow-behind so looking into the Blue Ox WD hitches currently. My truck can tow 11k lbs but I'm shopping for a rig less than 8k lbs to keep it safe. Send me a DM if any of you are selling a WD hitch or rig with a bunkhouse that is newer/mint condition. Cheers! --Campkitty

You can't go wrong with a Blue Ox hitch, although there are other good WDHs. Good luck finding a travel trailer that works well for you. Please keep us updated.

You can't go wrong with a Blue Ox hitch, although there are other good WDHs. Good luck finding a travel trailer that works well for you. Please keep us updated.
I just posted in a thread that was touching on a similar situation to mine--looking for advice on the whole WDH/hitch weight/GVWR etc. This tow behind business is quite technical. I am having a feeling I should have bought a 3/4 ton and gone with a fifth wheel LOL but no, can't do that with a teenager in tow who needs their own space. I am realizing I will need to travel clear across the country to pay $10k less for the RV that will work for us.

I just posted in a thread that was touching on a similar situation to mine--looking for advice on the whole WDH/hitch weight/GVWR etc. This tow behind business is quite technical. I am having a feeling I should have bought a 3/4 ton and gone with a fifth wheel LOL but no, can't do that with a teenager in tow who needs their own space. I am realizing I will need to travel clear across the country to pay $10k less for the RV that will work for us.
If you have a 1/2 ton truck I doubt it's tow capacity is 11k pouuds.

Pretty soon the "towing" police are gonna show up and ask you anyway so ya might as well fess up now.

Post a picture of the weight tag from the door pillar if you can do one.

There are a lot of bunkhouses that fits your weight criteria and works behind most of the newer 1/2 ton trucks as long as you stay no longer than 28 in some units.. Of course this does come with some ifs, ands and butts. The body style and engine, matted up with the rear end does change slightly your towing capacity in certain regions of the country. My last truck was rated at 9800 lbs towing capacity but would have never wanted that behind me when traveling the middle part of the country and the Rockies . We did do 12,000 ft, but the truck was not happy going up at a 10 percent grade. Going down tow haul and some common sense is doable.

When getting a unit with an outdoor kitchen you normally give up bunks in the rear in the larger units. There are some with a mini stove and sink under one bunk. Jayco probably builds the lighter campers for their length. The 26 foot BH and the 28 reaches your max wishes of 8k in weight when loaded. If you post your truck model, its possible that others here can give you their experiences with simular trucks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjbodjb
Back
Top Bottom