Looking to buy a new Class A and need help deciding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Torchbearer

I live in a family of 5.  We currently have a Keystone Cougar bunkhouse travel trailer.  I am interested in buying a Class A motorhome.  I have visted about every site on the web and talked to numerous dealers trying to decide which rv to go with.  I like the new Newmar  Allstar model 3950.  It has a loft in the back with 2 twin beds.  i don't have any local dealers around here that carry this unit.  My wife and I were going to travel out of state to see it and if we liked it have the local dealer order it.  He told me he would do it, but he wanted nothing to do with the coach.  He said he would never be able to sale a loft model to anyone and thought the mid engine diesel was a bad idea.  Any thoughts?  I have also looked at the Fleetwood Expedition model 38s.  I would put to sleeper sofas in it.  I need sleeping for at least 5 sometimes 6.  Any other suggestions or thoughts on what I have discovered so far.  Thanks.

Torchbearer said:
i don't have any local dealers around here that carry this unit.  My wife and I were going to travel out of state to see it and if we liked it have the local dealer order it.  He told me he would do it, but he wanted nothing to do with the coach.  He said he would never be able to sale a loft model to anyone and thought the mid engine diesel was a bad idea.  Any thoughts?

The Spartan mid-engine chassis has been around for a number of years now and I have not seen or heard of any unusual mechanical or resale problems. As a matter of fact, more mid-engine models are being offered today than 3 years ago.

Jim Godward has posted a couple of messages regarding where he bought his personally speced Newmar and a few other locations. There are 2 or 3 dealerships in Montana that are always advertising. Try the Forum's search to find Jim's posts or check the RVing magazines for Newmar dealers. You should be able to negotiate a 25% or more discount from the sticker price.

We looked at the Newmar model you are considering. It sure was nice and if we still had kids at home would definately consider it.  You do give up some storage space, but if everyone is comfortable, what the heck? The mid engine chasssis has been around a few years. You should try to find an owner and talk to them.

Chet18013

I appreciate the advice.  You guys don't think resale would be a problem down the road?  Also, I think the engine has to be accessed through the floor in the kitchen.  Is this accurate and do you see this as a problem. Thanks

Never buy an Rv worring about Resale value  You Lose no matter what.  It's a luxury and pleasure expense.  No one  has devised a way to control used prices  It's buyer find a  seller and when the two decide it's right  Maybe you have a deal but not always.l

Torchbearer said:
I appreciate the advice.  You guys don't think resale would be a problem down the road? 

Don't see why

Also, I think the engine has to be accessed through the floor in the kitchen.  Is this accurate and do you see this as a problem. Thanks

It is accurate and only a problem if the hatch is open while cooking dinner ;D ;D

Torchbearer, how about this... you buy that Newmar now, and if you're ready to sell it in 10-15 years (when I can afford it) then I'll buy it from ya.  ;)

I may take you up on that offer.  I am going to be in Phoenix next week to test drive the Allstar.  I will report back to you guys my findings. Thanks

Torchbearer said:
I live in a family of 5.  We currently have a Keystone Cougar bunkhouse travel trailer.  I am interested in buying a Class A motorhome.  I have visted about every site on the web and talked to numerous dealers trying to decide which rv to go with.  I like the new Newmar  Allstar model 3950.  It has a loft in the back with 2 twin beds.  i don't have any local dealers around here that carry this unit.  My wife and I were going to travel out of state to see it and if we liked it have the local dealer order it.  He told me he would do it, but he wanted nothing to do with the coach.  He said he would never be able to sale a loft model to anyone and thought the mid engine diesel was a bad idea.  Any thoughts?  I have also looked at the Fleetwood Expedition model 38s.  I would put to sleeper sofas in it.  I need sleeping for at least 5 sometimes 6.  Any other suggestions or thoughts on what I have discovered so far.  Thanks.

I see that no ladies have answered your message so I will.  :) 
I live fulltime in my motorhome and the diesel engine is in the rear of the coach. I think that the heat and the noise from that mid-coach engine will be a negative. Also having that engine any where near the kitchen plumbing makes me nervous. Try and find some people that own that Allstar coach and talk to them about their experiences with this coach.

I think that two sleeper sofas in your other choice, Expedition, would work. 

Regards,
Liz Pearce

Liz

Travel Supreme has been building a coach on the mid-engine chassis (ME model)  for about 4 years now. I haven't heard of any of the problems that you described. The engine and it's heat are pretty far away from the cockpit and shouldn't be an issue. Most of the plumbing is routed near the sidewalls, far away from the engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom