Looking!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for being a big help with this! I am not going to buy it. If they want to drop it off to me for free then I might consider it. I am hard headed and frugal, and I have on more than one occasion bitten off more than I can chew!
Well I for one hope you keep posting here. I always like to read about guys with can-do skills getting stuff done.

For any project there are tons of folks around here who'll advise don't do it and another ton who will advise do it.

When everyone says don't do it, take it as a sign no matter how much you don't like the message - LOL...

Well I for one hope you keep posting here. I always like to read about guys with can-do skills getting stuff done.

For any project there are tons of folks around here who'll advise don't do it and another ton who will advise do it.

When everyone says don't do it, take it as a sign no matter how much you don't like the message - LOL...
I have been a member here for 10 years.... I have not been active for a while. It has been a rough couple of years for me. Last year I put 500+ hours into gutting my sister in laws basement. I built a mother in laws suite with handicap bath , full kitchen , cut an egress window in. I did all the work myself. I never even unwinterized my trailer . Next year I would like to have the jeep done and do some traveling dragging it behind me. I was pretty crushed when the tree fell on my trailer. Had 85k in insurance claims last year. Before the TT was smashed I had a 4' diameter oak fall and take out my deck. I poured a huge patio to replace it and a bunch of side walk. I was looking forward to getting away, and another project isn't the answer! I always enjoyed this board, I will become active here as my life calms down a bit.

My brother in law has a 68 firebird... 13 years ago he bought it running and driving. 3 months after he bought it he stripped it down to change the interior and it was started for the first time 2 months ago. Trust me I understand. I currently have a jeep I bought as a bare shell that someone had done all the body work to but never reassembled. I am 5 months into it and I should have it running by Christmas I hope!

In a former life I had a hot rod and restoration shop. I had a customer with a '70 Road Runner who had a budget of $700/month...no more. Took almost 6 years to finish that car. Mopars are darned expensive to restore.

An example of that was in our last class A, there was a coffee maker that mounted under the cabinet in the kitchen. When the coffee maker needed to be replaced, I discovered that it had been mounted during cabinet construction and there was no access to the heads of the mounting screws so I had to partially dismantle the cabinet to remove it for replacement.
Had the same thing in my coach, except it was an inoperable electric can opener. Had to take the floor out of the upper cabinet to get to the freakin' screws.

I have been a member here for 10 years.... I have not been active for a while. It has been a rough couple of years for me. Last year I put 500+ hours into gutting my sister in laws basement. I built a mother in laws suite with handicap bath , full kitchen , cut an egress window in. I did all the work myself. I never even unwinterized my trailer . Next year I would like to have the jeep done and do some traveling dragging it behind me. I was pretty crushed when the tree fell on my trailer. Had 85k in insurance claims last year. Before the TT was smashed I had a 4' diameter oak fall and take out my deck. I poured a huge patio to replace it and a bunch of side walk. I was looking forward to getting away, and another project isn't the answer! I always enjoyed this board, I will become active here as my life calms down a bit.
I take back what I said about living near you; too many trees falling on stuff😎. Good luck finding your dream RV.

Did I say anything about tearing into the structure?

Yes, there is a degree of risk, which needs to be reflected in the selling price. And to a certain extent, the degree of that risk depends on the buyer's comfort level with it. If the buyer feels confident he could cope with a potential problem, the fear is less. Conversely, if the buyer would be gobsmacked if something turned out to be severe, he should probably avoid it altogether.

I'll also note that pro RV inspectors aren't necessarily good at evaluating risk. Identifying conditions that are out-of-the-norm isn't the same as assessing the time/effort/cost of repair.
I suspect that obvious water leaks are or should be a deal killer for most of us (me included) because of the very fact that we cannot "tear into" anything to determine the extent of the damage. And that is the weakness in having to spend hundreds on an inspection that fails to give at least ballpark odds of extent of damage and costs and time required to make things right.

Back
Top Bottom