Loosing weight, can't get past two hundred.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wendy said:
When I finally quit smoking (3rd try), I never touched another cigarette but I can't give up food completely. Well, maybe sweets or chips.
Wendy

Wendy not the chips or sweets... :)

Spudnut81 said:
One thing I might suggest is for you to look at myfitnesspal.com.

I second the use of myfitnesspal.  Once I started logging everything I eat, it was easy to spot those small snacks that add a few hundred calories to your daily diet.

Another app that I like on my Android phone is Endomondo.  It lets me track the distance that I walk.  A small reminder to walk more.

Phil

Great Horned Owl said:
The hard part was learning to differentiate truly hungry from merely not full.

Most of the time when we think we are hungry, we are actually just thirsty.  Very few of us drink enough water.  Soda Pop, either diet, HFCS or sugar, tea, coffee, do not count.  Even the sports drinks don't do the job that water does for our heath. 

Next time you're hungry, try drinking 16 ounces of water, give it a few minutes.  Then eat if you're hungry. 

My doctor told me, until I lost enough weight to get to her desired BMI for me, to drink one once of water for each pound of body weight. 

In addition, after I got down to the BMI she wanted me at, she said I only needed to take in once ounce of water per 2 pounds of body weight.  Water had never been part of my diet before, now it's part of my lifestyle, and I actually desire it.

>>My doctor told me, until I lost enough weight to get to her desired BMI for me, to drink one once of water for each pound of body weight.  <<

Wow!  Don't think I could handle 8.9 gallons of water per day.  Something wrong with that formula ...or with my math!  :-[ :-\

Unless you weigh 1140 lbs, you goofed on the math.

8 oz. per cup, 32 oz. per quart, 128 oz. per gallon.  ;)

This is a great site, still exploring it.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

When I first started loosing weight I drank 64oz of water a day.
And after reading about drinking water above, I realized I don't do that any more.
Ah ha!! So now I know some thing I stopped doing.
The oz per lb water I would need to drink 1.64 gallons.
Well I'm going to start drinking more water, shoot for over 64oz.
I'm know where close to 16oz probably..

Thanks every one, I hope some one else is getting some thing out of this.
Just Don walking on the lighter side.

My wife has tried numerous diets and has not found any that are lasting.  However, she has found one thing that does work if you stick to it.  It's not about dieting.  It's about accounting for everything you eat.  And if you're like most people, you're eating more than you think.  A lot more.  Google or just type sparkpeople in your URL.  Sparking, as they call it, is a pain in the you know where, but if you do it religiously, it will work.  And if it doesn't you will at least know why. 

Basically, it's about recording everything you eat.  Everything.  Even that extra olive you put in your martini, or that tasty morsel you try as you walk the isles of Costco.  The program has a data base with almost every kind of food by brand which includes all the good stuff.  Like the number of fat, carb and protein grams per oz of food consumed.  Every gram of Fat, Protein, Carbs, Fiber and a few other things you eat.  It calculates your ideal daily calorie intake based on how much and how quickly you want to lose weight.  It's quite time consuming which is the reason I stopped doing it.  That was about 25 lbs ago.    :mad:

Gord Nelson said:
>>My doctor told me, until I lost enough weight to get to her desired BMI for me, to drink one once of water for each pound of body weight.  <<

Wow!  Don't think I could handle 8.9 gallons of water per day.  Something wrong with that formula ...or with my math!  :-[ :-\

Yes, according to what my doctor told me, at 1,139 lbs I would need to drink 8.9 gallons of water a day.  Good thing when I started this journey, I was only about 18% of that.  I don't think at 1,139 lbs I'd be able to get in the MH.

How I did it was to set 11 bottles of water in my fridge, and by the end of the day my fridge was empty.  Less than one bottle per waking hour.  When one combines the water with 5 fruits and vegies a day, there's no room for all the trash I used to eat.

But now that I'm down to one ounce per two pounds of body weight, I drink more than the minimum.  The minimum at 160 lbs is only 4 bottles of water a day.  I drink at least twice that.  I'm kind of like a chain smoker, only with water.  As soon as I finish one bottle I'm opening another.  Now it seems to be a habit.  But before I changed to water, I was drinking that much Coke.  And no diet coke either, I never realized how much sugar I was consuming. 

As a side benefit, the dry skin problems I had when I was drinking coke instead of water, are gone.

7 months ago I was 198 I'm now 148. I have 13 more pounds to go. I can't say it has been easy. Each day I hike for 1 hour and count everything that goes in my mouth except once a week
I eat anything I want that day ;D. My numbers were all high. They are now in the normal range. Everyone wants to know my secret. There is no secret as everone that has lost weight knows. I agree
that we all eat to many carbs. What has worked for me is counting carbs and calories. My plate is 1/2 veggies 1/4 protein and 1/4 carbs. I make it good carbs and eat 2 snacks a day. I will eat
a string cheese with a piece of fruit or almonds and a piece of fruit. I hope this helps. I love this topic. It is always nice to hear other stories that could possibly help others or give them encouragement

Great job to all of you!

Hey Lou:
>>Unless you weigh 1140 lbs, you goofed on the math.<<

Yeah, I discovered that mistake as soon as I posted it.  Waited to see what the response was!!  :-[
Boy some days I feel like it is "1140 lbs." 

Actually, it would only be 2.31 gallons per day.  I guess I could handle that if I didn't move too far from the toilet.
Or, I could do that in Canadian (Imperial) Gallons(160 oz.) and it wouldn't seem like so much.  ::)

Heck, I know some people who can even top that in normal beer consumption.  (Wonder why they aren't dead, however.)

Yes, and I am on a weight loss program.

Congrats on the weight loss Don. The place where I used to work tried to get folks slimmed up using a couple of strategies which worked well. First is make up a concoction called H2Orange..which is 3/4 ice water and 1/4 regular old orange juice. Sip on it all day long every day. It balances blood sugar..increases metabolism rates and keeps a person well hydrated while controlling appetite. Noticed other pure juices work well also. Wine works real good wink wink.  They also recommended chewing food very slowly..eat about half of what is normally consumed..walk away and come back in finish in 10-15 mins or so. Most time a person will not be hungry after the pause. We had some folks lose 30-40 lbs just using those two simple steps. Best of fortunes on the future weight loss. Also..have some fresh fruit for breakfast..apple and orange or banana etc. Eaten early it will knock hunger till way past lunch. 

spark people is another good site. Never heard of it till you brought it up..

Brens way to go on the 50lbs and all the other big looser or winners..

Greetings all,

I too would like to loose about 20 lbs or a bit more. I tend to stay where I am at not gaining or loosing but always watching that I don't go upward.

Can we have people sign up? Perhaps Just Don can keep names and we can give him our losses gains from start. No need to give out your total weight in my opinion just if we are able to keep a few pound coming off during the next few months. Lots of good ideas on weight loss and thanks for everyone chim'n in.

What can we call our group here?? RV losers group  ::)

camperAL said:
Greetings all,
What can we call our group here?? RV losers group  ::)

Rv loser group, I do like that!
Wonder if we could get them to set that up or who to ask. Don't know what I'M saying, I guess a folder.
I go to a lot of forums they have a topic area for all type of stuff, but never saw one for weight managment.
They will tell you recipes because us RVER's like eating, I do to.. ::)
Any one else have a suggestion on setting this up?

I just want every one to know I'M a loser.... ;D

I replied a few days ago but somehow messed up on actually posting it. :D

Great topic!

What a challenge it can be to get healthy! I know I am a bit strange with this but here is what is working for me:

My personal combo is to track my food ala sparkpeople (they also have a free iPhone app!) but I do not diet or try to control my calories. I just make sure I log them. When I try to diet my rebellious nature takes over and I sabotage myself. So I just log. It is a gentle reminder that I am

I started using a pedometer with the goal of walking a minimum of 10k steps a day, which is the base recommended for health as I understood things. But I have to be honest- exercise is soooo BORING to me. I prefer to challenge my mind over mindless workouts. Then I stumbled upon the PERFECT way to do both and lose weight at the same time- Geocaching!

Every day I challenge myself to walk and find one cache. It is fun and doesn't feel like exercise at all. I now feel physically better than I have since my twins were born ten years ago. I don't always find a cache but not finding it makes me more determined to figure out where is lies.

For those who do not know what geocaching is head on over to http://www.geocaching.com/ and read up. It is a real life hide-and-seek. World wide people have hidden little caches for others to find. When I am out seeking I bring a bag to pick up trash. Trash pick up is not a requirement, but I like to do it and it makes me look less suspicious if I am covertly seeking a cache and someone suddenly shows up. :D

While geocaching is free, I did purchase the Geocaching.com smartphone app and it guides me right to caches as I listen to music.

Loving the suggestions of flax oil- I am going to try that too as a way to cut sugar cravings.
;D

I can't find the free iPhone app, just one for $3.99. I've been investigating the program and it looks interesting (thanks Maria).

We're also geocachers.  But keep in mind that it can be a pretty lazy hobby, too. Go for the caches that require some walking over the park & grab ones.

Wendy
Anza Borrego Desert State Park

True- it can be lazy. I choose one central parking place for each area to ensure that I walk to all of them. On a side note I was offered an old ammo box and am going to place my first geocache! It is going to be so fun! Have you placed any?

Over the years I have had the most success going the low carb route. I began years ago with the Dr. Stillman's Quick Weight Lose diet - or some times referred to as the water diet. It's probably the basis for the later low carb diet's such as Atkins and Agatston. As opposed to stages such as the 3 stage South Beach diet by Agatston, Stillman wrote that if you keep the carb intact from day one to 64mg - you "will" lose weight. And I found that to be true.

However, neither Stillman nor Atkins stressed the difference between good and bad carbs and good and bad fats. For example, most any fat from an animal is bad whereas olive or peanut oil is good. Agatson is a cardiologist and initially designed his diet for his patients to better their blood chemistry - and that led to the SB diet. So my diet is the SB modified to leave out the 3 stage thing and use Stillman's 64mg rule. And to occasionally add the Stillman Binge day.

That was another feature of Stillman that I liked - to periodically do a binge day. He suggested picking the most favorite carb thing you liked the best (such as a banana split), and have nothing but that all day. One for breakfast, one for lunch, and one for dinner. I found that he was correct when he wrote that by the end of the day and the next day, a banana split would not seem very tempting - versus an order of ham and eggs.  :)

Back
Top Bottom