loss fire again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tnash542

Ok so we fixed the problem like 2 week ago. It was the pick up coil
Well today went out to start it and all is good.  Let it ran for 10 minutes
Turned it off .Tried  to start it again. And bam no fire. Again
So using an led test. Light tested the pickup coil
And it was fine took the ICM box the part store got it tested.it passed the test.
So the only thing left is the coil. But i replaced. That 2 weeks ago.
Rv is a 1994. E 350 c class dutchmen 7.5 ltr 460.
Could it be key.switch.  some other. Things. It did was it would stall no restart. Wait 2 min an
d it would start. Thats all i can remember.

Got spark. check
Got compression. check
Got fuel?
Runs and stalls, won't restart after stall or shut off.
Probably fuel filter or pump.
How much use has it had?
How old is gas?

Bill

True story: Many moons ago back when J.C. Penny had an auto dept and offered a battery with a lifetime warranty my still under warranty battery in my recently purchased car died..

I went to JCP and had them put in a new one, the lifetime one.  A week later they put in another, it had failed.. Several years later (They no longer offered the lifetime one, but had a 5 year one they would apply the lifetime warranty to if you got it as and "Adjustment") they replaced it again,  That one lasted the life of the car.

Have you changed the fuel filter? That's what worked for us.
-Roni

hey guys thanks for the input, its not a fuel problem. its not getting  any spark. when i test the coil neg side  using a test light putting the gator click on the 
pos  terminal and touching the neg side. and  turning over the motor. and test light doesnt blink (goes on and off) just glows dim like its only getting like 8to 9 volts . very dim. it needs to flash on and off. had icm tested they said it was good.

The air gap between the reluctor and the pickup coil is right? Checked with non-magnetic feeler guage? It sounds like the coil isn't getting the signal to open and close the circuit. Pickup coil wire rubbed thru somewhere and grounding? Wire where it exits the distributor not chaffed and grounded?

Ken

just glows dim like its only getting like 8to 9 volts . very dim
You pretty much solved your problem and you need to check with a VOM, not a test light. (Walmart has a yellow one for about $14). Coil wont fire on 8v or 9v. Next time you get the no-start condition verify you do have low voltage with the VOM. Then move your ground clip around and jump the grd wire to a good ground and see if you can get a good 12+v at the coil. If not, then try running a jumper to the coil +12v from a good hot source and see if it starts ok. On a 94 I could see a bad ign switch but check all your grounds first. A bad ground will do the same thing, is more common and is usually easier to fix but sometimes harder to find. Good luck with it.

I am a retired FORD Tech. On this particular vehicle you have an EEC 4 computer system . The major parts of the ignition system are the module, stator , and coil . There is a computer lead that disconnects the ignition system from the computer , if you have ever checked your timing you have removed it. It is a small grey plug that is plugged in to the wiring harness ( the connector kind of looks like an injector connector). If you find the plug and remove it it will disable the onboard computer being a possible cause of the problem. If you remove the distributor cap and sniff the distributor inside and smell a waxy odor, the stator is bad. There is a tester out there to verify what is going on but I no longer own it otherwise it would be simple to diagnose. The stator is replaceable if you have the tools if not it may be cheaper to buy a rebuilt distributor and install it.

Back
Top Bottom