Loss of Situational Awareness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There’s a lot of folks here saying what they would have done if they were in the truckers shoes or the RV’ers shoes. But all we have is a few seconds of video to judge both of them by. We have no clue what was in either drivers head leading up to this disaster. In Japan they would both have been at fault. The RVer because he cut the trucker off. The trucker because he was there. The accident would not have happened if the trucker was not there. So probably 90% RVer and 10% trucker. The video is inconclusive. Everybody that is commenting is only speculating as to what happened and nobody can say with any amount of certainty what they would have done as either the trucker or the RV diver.

Watching the video several times and paying attention to the time, I see that that contact occurred right at 15 seconds from the beginning of the video.

Observations:
  1. The Semi was closing in on the truck he was trying to pass at a fast clip.
  2. The Semi on the fast lane would have completed passing the slower trucks in a few minutes.
  3. The RV driver didn't want to wait those few minutes. Big mistake.

Watching the video several times and paying attention to the time, I see that that contact occurred right at 15 seconds from the beginning of the video.

Observations:
  2. The Semi on the fast lane would have completed passing the slower trucks in a few minutes.
Speculation.

I'm not speculating anything. The video doesn't lie, the semi was moving much faster than the vehicle he was trying to pass, he gained a lot of distance in the 15 seconds.

You want an example of speculating?
In Japan they would both have been at fault. The RVer because he cut the trucker off. The trucker because he was there. The accident would not have happened if the trucker was not there. So probably 90% RVer and 10% trucker.

What does Japan have anything to do with this thread anyway?

Last edited:

Observations:
I think the overwhelming majority of accidents occur because someone was in a hurry. I imagine the wife and kids are real proud of their moron husband and dad, he came close to killing the entire family.

I'm not speculating anything. The video doesn't lie, the semi was moving much faster than the vehicle he was trying to pass, he gained a lot of distance in the 15 seconds.

You want an example of speculating?

What does Japan have anything to do with this thread anyway?
Nothing. Everybody else was throwing poop against the wall to see if it stuck so I thought I would too and it did. 😎

I think at this point it's best to give both drivers a "crash participation" trophy and tell them they were both winners.

Because clearly it is impossible to interpret a simple video and assign blame without offending anyone.

I know I am getting way off topic (it's OK we've beat this to death) but what if this ended in road rage all captured on dash cam?

Say the RV didn't get in and had to back off, then he caught up with the truck and shot the truck driver for not letting him cut in. I am sure there are those that would call it a justified shoot - LOL...

Don't say it doesn't happen. It's exactly like what happens.

Observations:
My only comment here, it was seconds, not minutes. If he'd waited about 3 to 5 seconds, and pulled in behind the truck, the RV would have been well down the road before a minute had passed. Instead, his whole life has likely changed, and not for the better.

My only comment here, it was seconds, not minutes. If he'd waited about 3 to 5 seconds, and pulled in behind the truck, the RV would have been well down the road before a minute had passed. Instead, his whole life has likely changed, and not for the better.
I was thinking the same thing. From the time we see the MH to the right in the side-view mirror the semi would have passed the other truck in probably another 30 seconds and if the MH had been behind him he then more than likely would have pulled into the right-hand lane and the MH could have gone on down the road at his preferred break-neck speed. For lack of 30 seconds of patience.

I think at this point it's best to give both drivers a "crash participation" trophy and tell them they were both winners.

Because clearly it is impossible to interpret a simple video and assign blame without offending anyone.

I know I am getting way off topic (it's OK we've beat this to death) but what if this ended in road rage all captured on dash cam?

Say the RV didn't get in and had to back off, then he caught up with the truck and shot the truck driver for not letting him cut in. I am sure there are those that would call it a justified shoot - LOL...

Don't say it doesn't happen. It's exactly like what happens.
You're right, of course.
That's why I am mounting a Twin 30 turret on my RV.
That'll show 'em.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom