Low air pressure indicator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleandKarla

During our last couple of trips with our 2008 Itasca Latitude Class A diesel pusher, the low air pressure warning light and alarm went off very briefly - about 1 second and then shut off. This happened 2 or 3 times. It seemed to go off when we went over a bump.
The approach to our last stop was a bumpy road and the alarm came on and stayed on for about 1 minute and then finally stopped.
At no time during any of these incidents did either of the two gauges that show the actual pressure indicate less than normal pressure (about 120 PSI).
I'm thinking this is likely a short in the low-pressure indicator switch? Any thoughts on where to start chasing this down before I take it into the shop?
Thank you so much!
Dale

Sounds likely. I'm not familiar with how the gauges & warning are implemented on your Workhorse UFO chassis, so can't help much. I would guess a pressure-sensitive gadget as part of the gauge cluster. In a Freightliner chassis, they actually run air lines to the back of the gauges.

The pressure sensor in my daughter's car has been showing that a tire is low when everything checks out. I googled it and found that when the battery in the sensor is low, strange things happen

Sounds likely. I'm not familiar with how the gauges & warning are implemented on your Workhorse UFO chassis, so can't help much. I would guess a pressure-sensitive gadget as part of the gauge cluster. In a Freightliner chassis, they actually run air lines to the back of the gauges.
Thanks Gary - Actually I do have the Freightliner chassis, not the Workhorse. So I expect I have airlines that run to the gauges. Seems strange that the alarm sensor would be on a separate system, but maybe? Gauges look fine, but alarm/red light indicates a problem.

Ah, not one of the rare UFO diesels then. Perhaps a phone call to FCCC Helpline (1-800-FTL-HELP) would get some advice on where to look. Have the last 6 digits of the VIN handy if you call.

When did you last replace the compressor air dryer? Or check the air tanks for water (open the drain valves)? Many RVers neglect these (or nobody ever told them its important). I'm wondering is water is getting into the system and disrupting it somehow?

Ah, not one of the rare UFO diesels then. Perhaps a phone call to FCCC Helpline (1-800-FTL-HELP) would get some advice on where to look. Have the last 6 digits of the VIN handy if you call.

When did you last replace the compressor air dryer? Or check the air tanks for water (open the drain valves)? Many RVers neglect these (or nobody ever told them its important). I'm wondering is water is getting into the system and disrupting it somehow?
Thanks again, Gary. I'm one of those folks who was never told these were important - or if I was, I've long since forgotten! I've never replaced the compressor air dryer or drained the air tanks. We've been on the road for almost a year now, so that's probably way overdue. I'm going to investigate further this afternoon and will post again if I get a breakthrough.
Take care,
Dale

Do you have the Freightliner chassis owner manual for your rig (not the coach manual)? And recommended maintenance procedures? You can get them from the Freightliner Custom Chassis website at File Library for RV Owners | Freightliner Custom Chassis
Yes, I do have that. I was reviewing the other day after this came up. I need to get the maintenance schedule on my calendar and get diligent about sticking to it. So easy to let stuff slide.
Thanks again,
Dale

Back
Top Bottom