LP or Gasoline Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SORTAFAST

I am going to buy a stationary generator for my newly purchased fifth wheel and don't know which is better.  Should I choose LP or gasoline powered?  I am mainly interested in running a 13.5 air conditioner and the usual appliances.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SORTAFAST,

SORTADEPENDS on  many things.
Do you have propane in your rig now? I'm guessing you do. How big is(are) the tank(s)? Are they removeable for easy filling? Is propane available where you'll be travelling or will it require long journeys? How often would you have to refill your genset with gasoline based on your usage? Same question about propane. Are you willing to do it that (whatever 'that' is) often?

Both propane and gasoline units are IMHO equal to the task; the propane ones probably requiring a little less maintenance. It's really a matter of choice and convenience. 

The major advantage of Propane engines is that they are supposed to "Burn Cleaner"    Most fork lifts used inside food warehouses, for example,a nd other places where the building is closed to fresh air (and animals, and insects, and other contaminates) burn propane for this reason, put a gas engine in such a building and the humans there will quickly succumb to the exhaust fumes.

Just how much difference this makes..... I do not know.  But I kjnow that the other night while I was running on generator power I got a exhaust fume alarm in the Motor Home (THankfully I was only using the MH for it's plumbing, we have no other plubming where I work)

Another consideration comes up if you camp in the C*O*L*D!!! parts of the world.... Propane stops working at a higher temperture than gas (The liquid in the tanks will no longer evaporate) I'm thikning the temperture where this happens is a nippy forty below zero, your choice of F or C on that temp, but it might be warmer

SORTAFAST said:
I am going to buy a stationary generator for my newly purchased fifth wheel and don't know which is better.? Should I choose LP or gasoline powered?? I am mainly interested in running a 13.5 air conditioner and the usual appliances.? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would recommend gas versus propane.  I wouldn't think you would want to use your propane up on running the generator.  I think you woud be happier with a gas generator.

Most propane generators seem to really gulp fuel, so if you are considering more than short periods of use I would recommend gasoline.  Definitely go with gas if your rig has only one or two 20 lb LP tanks - you should have at least twin 30's if you expect to run a genset off the LPG supply. Twin 40's would be better.

The only drawback to a gas genset in a trailer is the need to carry a gas can. Both safety and bulk are a concern.  Probably the best solution is to install one of the tool/storage boxes that has a built-in fuel tank, so that you can pump fuel into a small gas can (1 gallon) as needed or even direct to the genset.

Thanks for the insight.  I think I have decided to go with a gas generator.  It would probably be more convienant for us.  Gasoline is more readily available for me. 

Back
Top Bottom