LP Quick Connect Hose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CassandraS

Hey guys! We have had out TT for 2 going on 3 years and just now discovered that we have an LP quick connect hose near our back bumper!  ::)

We have a Coleman 2 burner outdoor gas stovetop (the kind you normally use the little 1lb propane bottles for). Are there any hose adapters so I can just use the LP line from my camper for the stovetop? I didn't have any luck finding the "manual for my stovetop. :(

Your Coleman stove that uses the 1 lb bottles has a built in regulator and therefore requires high pressure gas as its inlet. You can get a hose that has a threaded end that screws in where the bottle goes, but if the supply from the trailer is at regulated pressure (about 0.5 psi), the stove won't work because the inlet pressure is too low.  So, if that quick-connect is located after the trailers gas regulator, you can't use it with your stove. If its before the regulator, then you can just plug in and start cooking.

From what I've been able to find online, it appears the snap-in Quick-Connect fitting is designed for low pressure systems, so odds are it won't work with any grill that requires high pressure gas input.

The (male side) Quick Connect I'm talking about looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BNX2H5S/

If your trailer has the type of gas connector used on LP gas bottles (that require the QCC-1 screw-on connector,) then it will work with the grill.

YOu said your coleman uses the :Throw a way bottles

I had (still do) a coleman that is like that.

Back in my TT days and before that the PUP days I installed an EXTEND-A-FLow from Marshall brass Hold on

Here is one overpriced example of it Adventurerv-net

It also comes in a "Right angle"Model

And there is the "Extend-a-stay" or "Stay Longer" adapter (This is for motor homes but it works on Trailers as well

And a 10' "Extension" hose and you are all set I have two 10' hoses

Now that I have a motor home I use the motor home versions they let me use an external tank if I ndeed in addition to the on board.  Very handy.

Unfortunately the short answer is no.

Owned 2 coleman camp stoves, griddle and skillet before I bought my new trailer and couldn't find a way to buy or make an adapter to convert them to the low pressure RV connection.
When I used the coleman stoves, griddle, or skillet I had an extra 20lb propane tank, a distribution tree which had 2 connections for hoses and just swapped hoses to whichever appliance I was using.

Even thought my trailer has an outside kitchen I purchased a coleman roadtrip grill, and a conversion kit for to run it off the RV quick connect. I also bought the burner and griddle attachments for it.
Not the cheapest solution but works the best for me.

medic868 said:
Unfortunately the short answer is no.

Owned 2 coleman camp stoves, griddle and skillet before I bought my new trailer and couldn't find a way to buy or make an adapter to convert them to the low pressure RV connection.
When I used the coleman stoves, griddle, or skillet I had an extra 20lb propane tank, a distribution tree which had 2 connections for hoses and just swapped hoses to whichever appliance I was using.

Even thought my trailer has an outside kitchen I purchased a coleman roadtrip grill, and a conversion kit for to run it off the RV quick connect. I also bought the burner and griddle attachments for it.
Not the cheapest solution but works the best for me.

I was hoping we could somehow get ours to work, but I was exploring the possibility of it not being compatible as well. In my exploring I did find the Coleman Roadtrip grill and saw several reviews where people had adapted them to run off the low pressure LP lines. That was going to be my next bet. I even looked into the options of the cooktop/griddle.

As much as I didn't really want to have to purchase new equipment, I believe we will use it more than enough to cough up the roughly 200 for the grill and extras I will need to purchase in order to use it in the manner we would like.

Do you happen remember where you bought the conversion kit for it to run off your low pressure lp line? One review in particular on Amazon has links to several adapters that one person used to get his to work, but if you can just buy a kit with everything and be done with it I would rather do that than buy 3-4 different parts and piece it together myself.

Thank you for all the help!

Sometimes it is practical to remove the internal regulator from the grill (but them you can't use the little bottles anymore - need a regulator on a tank instead.

Once you find a stove that will work, look for a guy that makes hoses close to you. Hose business are pretty much everywhere there is some type of industry that has construction, logging, farming equipment, most people have no idea about them. It may a be a few bucks more, maybe not,  then amazon, but the components will be much better then from Amazon or a retail outlet, and you'll get a length per you measurements. I just did what your wanting to do, I bought my 2 burner BBQ at Costco, for 99.00. Good quality as most of Costco products are. Had my local hose guy make a LP rated hose with ends for 29.00. The brass ends and crimps are commercial grade, and the hose walls are thicker. I posted the project in the T/C section,,,gregg

kdbgoat said:
This may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQjjCwknAik

Wow that looks pretty easy to do. I have a Weber Q1200 and it is a lot more involved to remove the regulator.

I have a blackstone griddle that was set up to run on those little bottles and it came with an adapter to hook to a larger bottle.  I removed all of that and hooked up a low pressure hose to where the regulator was.  I purchased the hose on E Bay (Camco brand).  Works great!  I also have an old Atlanta propane heater, a two burner stove and a little propane grill I hook to the low pressure RV system.  I also split my line and have two connections so I can run two appliances at the same time.

I finally gave up on the connector and just use the small bottles. They are inexpensive and readily available just about anywhere. Plus they are easier to store than an extra 20# bottle and connector. I can get at least 3 or 4 cookings from the little bottle.

Deb and I just went through the"outside" stuff in our C this week. We carried the 20# bottle in the rear storage, but I never had a warm fuzzy feeling about doing that. We decided to go back to the small bottles too. I may run a line and quick connect for the grill sometime, but in no big hurry.

I ran into a related problem. I workamped for a few months and there was a hookup to a large (250 gallon) propane tank that already had its own regulator, so I couldn?t use the Extend-a-stay T I had installed as that is on the high pressure (left) side of the regulator (see attached - I am currently on an unregulated external bottle using the Extend-a-stay). I went to a local propane supplier for some of the fittings, and Lowe?s for the rest, and installed a T on the low pressure side (the right side) of the regulator. With this setup I can now use high or low pressure LP, or I can supply high or low pressure LP (i.e., for gas grills with or without their own regulator). I currently have a Coleman BBQ with its own regulator.

Attachments

• B004A0C7-E6A3-4EFF-95C9-6FAACC28A4ED.jpeg
    B004A0C7-E6A3-4EFF-95C9-6FAACC28A4ED.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 20
For us, the best solution was to carry a smaller 5 lb LP bottle for the grill. It's light (less than 15 lb when full), doesn't take much room at all, and allows placement of the grill anywhere on the campsite (not limited by hose length).  A 5# tank is equivalent to 5 of the little green bottles, so probably a season's worth of grilling for most people. 

There is also a 10# bottle that weighs in at just over 20 lbs when full.

Back
Top Bottom