LP Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1st welcome to the forum from WI. Maybe someone just cranked the heck out of it when the shut it.

Never seen one with a lock but they are metal seats so can get stuck.

Take a good look at the shaft to determine if it is seized closed or seized open.

I was always taught to turn gas valves and water supply valves all the way open and then closed 1/2 turn. That way you can tell instantly in an emergency if the valve is open and know which way to go to close it.

Never seen one with a lock but they are metal seats so can get stuck.

Take a good look at the shaft to determine if it is seized closed or seized open.

I was always taught to turn gas valves and water supply valves all the way open and then closed 1/2 turn. That way you can tell instantly in an emergency if the valve is open and know which way to go to close it.
And I was taught that some propane valves have to be open all the way because there is a back seat. I always open all the way but I don’t reef on it with all my might.

The guy before you probably had better grip and hand strength. I'd grab a pair of channel lock pliers and go at it. Most people shut them off harder than they open them up, IMO.

When the service valve is stuck the only way to know if it is open or closed is attempt to light an LP cooktop with a match, if there is pressure in the line the match flame will show movement away from the burner and/or light the burner.
I would determine that first, then if it is shut you proved it and know which way to turn the valve. It is possible the valve has failed, if so it must be replaced, does it look like this?

When the service valve is stuck the only way to know if it is open or closed is attempt to light an LP cooktop with a match, if there is pressure in the line the match flame will show movement away from the burner and/or light the burner.
I would determine that first, then if it is shut you proved it and know which way to turn the valve. It is possible the valve has failed, if so it must be replaced, does it look like this?
If there is no gas flow, two things would cause this. Either the tank valve is shut or it is empty and the valve could be open.

Back
Top Bottom