Lug nut size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helmdog

I have a 2019 cougar 366 RDS my lug nut is too tight up against the rim I believe the size is 13/16 is there a special socket to fit over that lug and what what are the torque specifications...thanks

I have a 2019 cougar 366 RDS my lug nut is too tight up against the rim I believe the size is 13/16 is there a special socket to fit over that lug and what what are the torque specifications...thanks
Is that the flat to flat dimension or the thread size-diameter?

I'm not sure what you're asking for there I'm just looking to find a socket that is thin enough to go between the lug nut and the wheel that will attach to my torque wrench and I believe the cougar specifications for the lug nut is 13/16 socket

I'm just looking to find a socket that is thin enough to go between the lug nut and the wheel that will attach to my torque wrench
Thin wall deep sockets are available most anywhere tools are sold, especially in auto parts stores. You didn't say what size drive your torque wrench uses, but 13/16" sockets are readily available in 3/8 and 1/2 drive and 3/4 can be found as well at professional tool sources. There are also drive adapters available.

If you have lug nuts that the hex does not extend very nearly to the top of the nut, search around and get some others. My trailer had the same issue. It took a spark plug socket to have a thin enough wall to slide all the way down the nut. The nuts all had marks where fat sockets had been used and only gripped the top quarter inch of the hex.

I bought new wheels and lugs from RecStuff and the nuts I got had the hex extending nearly the full height of the nut, plus the new SenDel wheels have a lot more room around the nuts.

Also, you can find extra tall lug nuts.

These.......

Vs this style

Charles

Last edited:
My Internet is back up, I can post a pic.

Almost for certain the hex or as the Brits call it, AF or Across Flats is the 13/16 in. The stud would be ½-20. There are 3/4 hex lugnuts with that thread but not as common in decorative type, though you could use plain lugnuts and chrome plastic covers on them possibly.

6 point thin wall sockets are difficult to find nowdays. Everything is 12 pt. I just kept digging in my tool box and stumbled into a 13/16 6 pt spark plug socket in ½ in drive, which I have no real use for, as most plugs are smaller and the cars I do have with 13/16 plugs, well I just use the 3/8 drive version of the same socket. 12 pt messes up the chrome on the nuts.

Click on the pics to read all of my text I included. I actually was working on a wheels and lugnuts 101 for the Bigfoot forum when I saw this.

Charles

Attachments

• Wheel lugnut differences.jpg
    Wheel lugnut differences.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Wheel original wheel and lugnut needing thin socket.jpg
    Wheel original wheel and lugnut needing thin socket.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 6
  • Wheel new showing lugnut accessability.jpg
    Wheel new showing lugnut accessability.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
To the OP I understand your pain. When my dad bought his camper we brought it up to the cabin where it stays when not in use and blew a tire on the rocky road in. When we tried to change the tire we discovered that the lug nut was recessed into a hole in the rim, and no socket or deep socket we owned could fit in there. The walls of the socket were too thick to be able to go in. I don't understand who would design a tire rim assembly this way. We ended up having to call and badger the rv dealer about finding a proper tool for the job and eventually they sent us a socket that had thin walls. Wish I could tell you a brand name or where to find one, but maybe call some rv dealers to see if they have experienced this and can pinpoint one for you?

Back
Top Bottom