Maine in August

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heavyhauler

Planning a trip to Maine the first 2 weeks of August. There will be a 38' fifth wheel camper, a 39' fifth wheel toy hauler, and a 40' motorhome towing a 24' motorcycle trailer with 3 couples all early 60's.  Looking for a central location where we can access a little of everything and see some of it all via our motorcycles once we get to Maine.  Any suggestions for big rig friendly camping would be appreciated.

Central to the shore areas, seafood restaurants and touristy stuff, or central to back country Maine? What do you expect to do there?

Pumpkin Patch & Bangor is an excellent choice for trips to Moosehead Lake and there are good restaurants and pubs in Bangor. It's about 1-1 1/2 hours to the coast around Bar Harbor, though.

For coastal attractions, great seafood, Acadia NP, etc, I would stay closer to the coast, e.g. near Elsworth or Bar Harbor. Or further south, down around Old Orchard Beach. But they will be hugely congested in August - everybody goes to Maine then, and seafood festivals and such are in full swing. Frankly, we avoid Maine in August. Now is the time to be there!  US 1 from Portland to the Canadian border is both scenic and loaded with small towns that have restaurant, museums, ice cream stands, etc.  Camden & Rockport are a really nice visit, so are Searsport, Wiscasset & Booth Bay Harbor, and other coastal areas. But again, August is crowded, so make reservations in rv parks and plan on waits at restaurants.

Heavyhauler said:
Planning a trip to Maine the first 2 weeks of August. There will be a 38' fifth wheel camper, a 39' fifth wheel toy hauler, and a 40' motorhome towing a 24' motorcycle trailer with 3 couples all early 60's.  Looking for a central location where we can access a little of everything and see some of it all via our motorcycles once we get to Maine.  Any suggestions for big rig friendly camping would be appreciated.

We stayed at the Camden Hills RV Resort in Rockport the 1st week of August for the Lobster Festival.  There are a number of day trips that you can take along the coast.  The 2nd week of August we stayed at Main Stay RV in Winter Harbor.  There is a ferry next to Main Stay that will take you to Bar Harbor or drive 1-1/2 hours into Bar Harbor.  There is a new campground that just opened in Acadia National Park which is closer to Bar Harbor.  North from Winter Harbor about 1-1/2 hours is this Canadian border to New Brunswick.  It's a scenic ride and FDR's summer home, Campobello, is located there.  Again you can take many day trips from here and Bangor is about 1-1/2 hours to the interior.

August is definitely a busy time but a great time to visit Maine! I agree with some others that somewhere along the coast is nice and maybe try a few different locations..... one closer to the south and then one close to Acadia National Park. Sorry I can't help with suggestions on big rig friendly campgrounds but there are plenty of them so I'm sure you'll find something!

We stayed in a very nice RV park a couple of weeks ago. Called the "Lobster Buoy" in South Thomaston, Me.
It's a few miles off route 1. It's right on the ocean. Great back road motorcycle riding too. Check out the campground reviews, I posted some remarks about the place.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Our trip went great.  First night was spent on the road in a rest area near Fredricksburg, VA as we got a late start that day and were trying to cover enough ground to make a meet up with another couple the following day who were coning from another state and accompanying us with their 5th wheel rig.  Second night we spent in a campground near Sturbridge, MA and it was adequate for a place to stop for a night.  Third night in Old Orchard Beach Campground, ME  a top notch facility with all sorts of amenities, and of course priced as such, but very nice.
4th-7th nights at Shore Hills Campground in Boothbay, ME, again another very nice facility with all amenities reasonably priced, quiet and close to what that area has to offer.  Then on to Calais, ME for 3 nights at Keenes Lake Campground which was ok, but no sewer hookups and very small spots, however the price made up for any shortcomings.  After that we travelled down to Shelburne, NH and spent 2 nights at White Birches Campground.  Hard getting in there with a big rig, but once you got on your site it was ok.  Left there to head back home and spent a night in Carlisle, PA at Western Village which was probably the nicest place we stayed on the entire trip.  Overall the trip went just fine, got to get out of our sweltering southern heat for 2 weeks and enjoyed the cooler weather, relaxing, sight seeing, whale watching, riding motorcycles, eating fattening foods and lots of lobsters.  It was my 5th trip to Maine, but only the second time we've camped and the last time was 10 or more years ago.  I had a couple of very minor issues with my 15 year old American Eagle, but fortunately I have enough shade tree mechanical ability and general working knowledge to correct them on the road and move on.

Back
Top Bottom