Marta Becket, Ballerina Extraordinare, R.I.P.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArdraF

Marta Becket, who founded the Amargosa Opera House, died in Death Valley Junction CA on January 30, 2017 at the age of 92 years.  Marta was well-known to many RVers and others who stopped in Death Valley Junction on their way to/from Death Valley.  In 1967, the classically-trained dancer stopped in Death Valley Junction because of a flat tire.  While there she found the old borax company's community hall, bought it, and never left.  She converted the hall to the Amargosa Opera House where she put on one-woman productions until 2012.  The very talented Marta painted the entire opera house interior which included murals of audiences so she would never have to perform to an empty house.

ArdraF

Wow, that's too bad. But, 92 is a pretty good run. Especially if you love where you are and what you are doing. Thanks for the heads up.

Sad news for sure.  I took a tour of her theater and she hand painted all the walls to appear that she had a full house all the time.  I live a little over an hour from Death Valley Junction.  The whole hotel,theater, and they are restoring (slowly) all the buildings on the grounds. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom