Mattress-Fleetwood Storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gcharte

We purchased a 2006 Fleetwood Stom in May of 2006 everything about it is great except for the mattress. It's the worst mattress we have ever slept on and we need to replace it. One of us has a very bad back any suggestions. We did notify Fleetwood and they offered no help this is a warning to all make sure you check the mattress it needs to be comfortable.  Gary & Eileen

Not aware of your location, but here in Phoenix Area there is R & S Mattress that has just about anything you want,  Many for RVs  all you need is the measurement and they can supply any contour or firmness you desire. 

Gary & Eileen,

We replaced our mattress with a dual-chamber air mattress when I was having severe back problems while on a trip. I was going to buy a Select Number mattress one like we have at home (just a different size), but they were not available in stock in the state we were passing through. So I bought a knock-off brand. A queen size fitted our coach just fine, but you should check the size of your mattress. A queen is actually 1-2" longer than the original mattress in our coach, but there was enough room to accommodate the additional length with the bedroom slideout retracted.

If you go this route, remember that you only need the mattress and don't need the foundation. Because of my time constraint, I bought both and dumped the foundation. Actually, I took the old foam mattress (it was only a few weeks old) and gave it and the new foundation to one of the kids for their guest bedroom.

My back problem went away.

When we purchased our new 2006 Fleetwood Southwind, we traded our travel trailer for it.  But I would NOT trade our select comfort mattress that we had installed a year ago with it.  I told them they could keep there mattress the one that came with the southwind but they were not getting the select comfort.  I'd rather sleep on the ground than sleep on the mattresses that come with a motorhome or travel trailer.  We bought our select comfort from camping world.  I love it.  Wish I had one at home.  It takes a least a week to get used to a regular mattress after coming back from our trips in our motorhome.

Mlyon

We have never seen a comfortable mattress in an RV.  When we bought our 1997 Endeavor, we bought a Select Comfort dual air mattress and had it shipped to the dealer for installation before we picked up the coach.  It's the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on, and we've now had it for nearly 10 years.

Marlene & I consider our mattress to be very comfortable. It is a Travel Supreme labeled pillow top foam mattress. I guess another reason to buy a TS ;D ;D

I'd prefer to sleep on plywood than a foam mattress. Chris OTOH prefers a soft mattress, which is why the dual chamber air mattresses work well for us.

We also found the queen mattress in our Cherokee Lite to be very comfortable.  If it was a king size, it would be perfect.

My wife informed me that she put an egg crate type foam on out TT mattress.  maybe that's why I like it so well.

I installed one of the 2" memory foam mattress toppers in our Pace and it has made a world of difference.

Woody

We purchased a Sleep Comfort dual chamber air mattress for our Wanderlodge. It is great.  Each person has their own control.

Regards,
Liz

We both like firm mattresses so we had to add two inches of medium density foam on top of the mattress in the Dolphin to make it livable. The Tradition, however, has a wonderful mattress. And that's a Fleetwood product too, so it's not a corporate thing.

Another option is to contact Handcraft Mattress Company. They make standard and custom foam mattresses for RVs and boats and offer different densities/firmnesses of foam. The final product looks like a mattress you buy in a store rather than just a piece of foam, but they're not inexpensive. We used them with a prior boat after one of those (expensive) add-on foam toppers proved to be a waste of money.

If you had a custom shape/size, they'd even provide the materials and instructions for making a template, but it's unlikely you'd need a custom for an RV.

Like all things, everyone's needs/preferences will be different.

The mattress is performing as designed.  (G)  The gas coaches at that level are all pretty awful.  Cheapest fix is the foam topper, that is what we did in our truck camper.  The comfort select is a popular option but a bit pricey. 

You would be surprised at all the used campers we have with new mattresses.  Not because we at the dealer put one in, but because the people buying a new coach keep thier mattress and swap the new one to the trade. 

I see it as one of those items, that no matter what the mfg installs will not please all, so they tend to put in cheap ones knowig thet they will be swapped out. 

Due to our various aches and pains, the mattress that came with our 5er was just not satisfactory and we were planning to replace it.  However, we came across a two inch memory foam mattress topper at Sam's Club in Little Rock the week before Thanksgiving. 

After trimming it slightly to fit our "RV" king size mattress, the three nights we used it over Thanksgiving were very restful. Hopefully, we'll have the same results on our January - February trip to south Texas (tentative route).

Back
Top Bottom