Me and JFK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I was 13 years old in 1961 when JFK was sworn into office. He was my hero, I loved the man. I wrote to the White House and asked him for a photo. I received a beautiful 8 x 10 b&w portrait of him that was autographed with an autopen. I was so thrilled I sent a similar request to Jackie and got a beautiful 8 x 10 of her. Then in 1963 JFK was scheduled to make an appearance at Point Mugu. Mugu is a very important air force base located 50 miles north of LA. NIxon, Reagan and Kennedy all flew in and out of there many times. My mother was a secretary at Mugu and took me to work with her that day so I could see the speech. I searched for video of the event many times and was finally successful. Here he is 6/7/63:

The visit was so he could change from a helicopter to Air Force One jet back to Washington. There were thousands of people there and I figured there was no chance of finding me in the crowd. But to my shock and surprise finished his short speech and jumped into the crowd to shake hands. He came right over to where I was standing and I got to shake his hand. I offered him a scrap of paper and asked for an autograph and he complied. I had my Brownie and took one photo. I was in heaven but never expected to see what I found on the video. At 6:12 In the video I can clearly see me standing next to JFK while he signs my autograph. You can see him signing in this shot.

JFK and me (1).pngScreenshot 2024-03-31 5.32.30 PM.png

Naturally I am in complete shock to have found such a treasure. The sad thing is that I took the photo and autograph to school to show them off and they were stolen from me. I was devastated when he was shot a few months later. Then in 1968 I got to shake hands with RFK and Ethyl at the Oxnard Airport three days before he was murdered in LA. I made a vow to never shake Teddy's hand.

Fast forward twenty some years and I am a member of the Ventura County Sheriff's Underwater Search and Rescue Team on a mission to practice jumping in and out of a helicopter at Point Mugu. We put on our gear and board a helicopter for a trip to Anacapa Island. While standing on the runway waiting for my turn when I noticed a small star embedded into the runway. It marked the spot that JFK gave his speech on 6/7/63. Real outer limits stuff there.

Tom 1984-02 (1).jpg

I never was lucky enough to get close to anybody famous. But my brother has. He worked at Cape Kennedy on the shuttle program. He met the Challenger crew and they all signed a dollar bill for him. We all remember how that mission ended.

I saw Richard Simmons one time going through an airport and many of the woman were yelling Richard, Does that count?
Another time I was at huge Good Sam Rally at the Eire PA Fairgrounds on shores of Lake Eire. They had Marie Osmond doing a show. After it was done and people were leaving the concert hall, I went outside and snuck around out back where I found her MH parked. I waited around for several minutes with several other people. She finally came out and shook every one’s hand till she got to her rig.
Then I was in Myrtle Beech during bike week one time. The father on Orange County Choppers, Paul Teutel Sr., was staying in the same campground. I got to meet him one morning as they were taking off for the day. I got a autograph of him someplace. They weren’t allowed to bring their bikes into the CG. They had to leave all of them out in the office parking lot. I’m sure they had a security force there all night

Last edited:
Very cool story.

Point Mugu doesn't exist anymore. It was a Naval Air Station (NAS) until it merged with Naval Construction Battalion Center Port Hueneme in 2000 and it all became Naval Base Ventura County.

My wife's paternal grandmother was JFK's private nurse when he was at the Texas Medical center in Houston having back surgery just before he became president.

Back
Top Bottom