Mechanics that make house calls to your motorhome??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deltam

We are pretty much persuaded to get a motorhome next year vs another 5th wheel.  Since we have owned two 5th wheels in the past a motorhome is currently out of our comfort zone.  Purpose is to travel a bit, then live out of the RV until our new, much smaller house is built, then either sell or keep the RV depending on what happens 3 years from now.

We live in a rural area now and frankly do not like the city lifestyle.  The area where we plan to move has a few larger towns, by our standards of 20 thousand, within a 30 minute drive.

We could use the same well and septic system that would eventually supply our new house on the 30 acre tract.  Power is available.  Zoning would not be a problem.

Our major concern is repairs to the running gear on a motorhome away from bigger cities while building our permanent house, especially since we would be living out of it.  I suppose this would not be unlike those who live full-time in a rural campground.  I've seen mechanics who work on construction equipment and big rigs that make "house calls" and have just about everything except specialized parts on their trucks.  Are mobile repair people available that make "house calls" on motorhomes?  I don't believe I would trust just a big-rig mechanic to work on our motorhome.    How would a person go about locating this type of service?  I'm handy enough that I can make most routine repairs.

You are looking for a mobile mechanic. Usually you can find a few in Craigslist. If not then visit a large RV dealership and go to the service area and speak to a mechanic. Most mechanics moonlight or know someone who does.

You can probably find a mobile RV mechanic just about anywhere in the US.  Travel distance will determine the trip charge.  Big rig mechanics are good for chassis and engine work, but may or may not be able to service appliances.  Just call and find out.  If you can't find them in your area, call the nearest RV dealer and ask  They will be happy to give you the numbers of the mobile mechanics, because the dealers often get backlogged.  We were in Bozeman, MT over the summer and lost a suspension air bag.  The local dealer said, "We can get you in ... next month!".  I asked what people do in emergencies and they gave us the numbers of three mobile mechanics, one of whom was able to get us in same day.

It sounds like you are in a semi-rural area so there may be a Freightliner or farm vehicle shop as we had in Montana.  They can fix most anything as far as the chassis is concerned but not the RV coach itself.  There probably is a mobile home repair person(s) in the area who can and will work on RVs.  There are probably RV or mobile home parks around so ask them about repair persons for the coach.

Once I was stuck in the morning after being parked in a WM on our way down to FL; one of the slideouts would not retract.
After ? 2 hours searching and wasting my time to find the problem, I dialed 511, gave my position and the service gave me a phone number that I called and within 3 hours my problem was fixed by a mobil rv service !
The next day, we continued our journey.

Just curious...is there any specific reason to trust a mobile mechanic over a big rick mechanic?

cgmartin said:
Just curious...is there any specific reason to trust a mobile mechanic over a big rick mechanic?
Yes, if a mobile mechanic needs a part ordered the RV stays in your yard. If you go to a mechanics shop and they need a part your RV sits at the shop and sometimes that is a long time.

Back
Top Bottom