MH Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smoky

I have no idea if they offer specific fulltimer insurance. I doubt it, given my agent's comment about how they calculate the premium, but I have no need for it anyway. I also have no idea if they offer replacement coverage. We're currently afloat, but you could pick up a phone book and call any State Farm agent if you need to find out.

ncluley said:
Are there insurance companies that provide stand-alone motor home insurance?  My current auto insurer does not.  We will be taking delivery of our new (and first) DP in a few weeks and I want to have insurance all set before delivery.  As always, all info and recommendations will be greatly received.

Try contacting Explorer RV Insurance Agency at 888-774-6778. I have talked to Bob Isbell at that agency.

Regards,
Liz
6 weeks to go!!

Tom said:
Bernie, IIRC the GMAC/CW offer I recently received in the mail guarantees a new replacement RV if it's totalled, not current value. That's quite an incentive to switch. Is your coverage the same?

Tom

GMAC's replacement coverage (new coach of current model of your destroyed coach) is good for the 1st 5 model years of the coach. After that it reverts to current value.

The subtlety of vehicle  liability insurance is that it covers damage done by the vehicle, not the owner or operator.  It does not provide liability for you as the owner of the vehicle, nor for the area surrouding the vehicle, e.g. a campsite.    The example about liability when someone trips on an RV's step is a good one for the lawyers - it's squarely in the gray area between vehicle liability and the owner's personal liability.

If the person tripped because the step broke, it's probably covered by vehicle liability.  If the person tripped over the wine bottle you left on the step, it your personal liability and probably not covered under the vehicle insurance.  An easier example is if someone trips over a lawn chair on your site - the vehicle is not involved in any way and a standard vehicle policy provides no liability coverage at all.  In that scenario, you (the renter of the campsite) are persoanally liable. If you have home owner's or renters insurance, it will have a personal  liability umbrella that covers you away from home and you are covered at yoru campsite.  Fulltimers don't have that, so they usually purchase a rider on their RV insurance that provides personal liability coverage while using the RV.  This rider is typically called "vacation liablility" coverage and isn't very expensive.

I don't purport to know how boat insurance is written, so it would be wise to check with the agent about it. Suppose someone trips on your dock line?  The boat didn't damage anything, so did the injury result from operation of the boat or is it related to the dock? Or to the person who tied the dock lines?  If the dokl is at your home, you are covered either way, but away from home?  Good questions for the agent (and make a note of the answer, date & time, in case the underwriter says different at a later time).

Good explanation/examples of the liability issues Gary, thanks. I see how true fulltimers might need additional coverage. I will be checking all our policies when we get home to see what really is covered.

An interesting practice in the boating world; When we took a 3-month trip harbor-hopping down the CA coast every commercial marina and private yacht club in southern CA asked to see, and made a copy of, our insurance and Coast Guard documentation. This was, in most cases, after we'd docked, so it couldn't have been protection in the event we ram their dock. Of course, a visiting boat could have a fire, which could have catastrophic results for other boats and the marina or yacht club. In 20 years of boating, I've never once been asked for this information in northern CA, nor have I been asked for my RV insurance at any campground.

Our fulltimer insurance has a section called Full-Timers Personal Liability with $250,000/$500,000 limits.  This is in additon to the $1,000,000 bodily injury/property damage coverage in the policy.  Any fulltimer insurance should include the personal liability coverage, or you're not covered completely.

Aye Ned, my policy with Progressive also covers personal liability.  It is the main pitch they gave me for why I needed fulltimers insurance.  Until Gary gave his information I was not aware that there were fulltimer policies that did not cover personal liability.  Guess it pays to be careful about that.  I learn something new here all the time.

We have Progressive, and think very highly of them, at the time we went with them they were the most reasonable, had our first claim after Hurricane Charley,they were here pronto, and did a great job for us, more than we expected actually, nice people to deal with.

Thanks, everyone.

I have gotten a quote from a NJ agent (The American Modern Insurance Group) and a quote from the Thum Insurance Agency, L.L.C. (their e-mail reply did not identify the insurance company).

It is difficult to get quotes for a NJ resident since many insurance companies will not write policies in NJ.  In the past I have applied for insurance thru Good Sam and Camping World (for our 5th-Wheel that we are now trading for a MH) and neither would quote for NJ.  I also believe Progressive will not write for NJ (I had a motorcycle insured with Progressive when a moved to NJ some 15 years ago and Progressive would not renew the policy).   

So, I'll check with GMAC -- that will give me at least three quotes from which to choose..

Again, thanks!

ncluley,

Try calling the Ed Tobin Agency 800-759-6321 in Collingswood, NJ.

They placed us with National Interstate Insurance Company.

Since we are brand new we can't give you any feedback on either the agency or the insurance company, but the father of a friend of mine who fulltimes also uses them and I respect his judgement.

There are a few other differences with a policy for an RV that was written by an "RV specific" company when compared to those from an automobile underwriter. We had State Farm for years and they are a great company, but like all auto underwriters, there are the usual auto type exclusions. Most of them will not pay for "attached items." Very often that will mean you awning, TV antenna, tow bar and what ever else may be added to the chassis, out side of the RV. Even more, nearly all RV specific policies now have what is called a "disappearing deductible." That means that each accident free year, the amount of your deductible is lowered by 25%. After four accident free years, there is no deductible. Yet another feature of most such policies is that they offer "full replacement" policies. That means that for the first five years the insurance company will buy a new RV that is as near as possible to the same as the new one you first insure. After the five years has passed, if the RV is destroyed they will pay you the original purchase price that you paid for the RV. No auto company offers such coverages.

You do not have to buy a full-time clause in order to insure with the RV specific policies. The full-time part is an addition of the extra liability coverage as well as an increase in the personal property coverage and several other changes.

I am wondering what happens after the RV is ten years old.  In boating insurance a survey is usually required after the boat is ten years old.

Smoky

The boat survey is probably a seaworthiness issue. Now if someone bought a 10-year old one of those amphibious motorhomes that looks like a houseboat when it's floating on water, I wonder if they'd need a survey to get insurance.

Bernie,

>> GMAC's replacement coverage (new coach of current model of your destroyed coach) is good for the 1st 5 model years of the coach. After that it reverts to current value.<<

I think you'll find that GMAC offers replacement with the same model new RV for the first five years. AFTER 5 year they will pay the original purchase price, not current value..

I just got the quote from GMAC (through "Monaco" insurance, but I believe camping World's is the same)

GMAC was also $300 less than Progressive for my two cars and the MH. I plan to call and make the switch to GMAC  when I get back from China.

Ken

Ken & Sheila said:
I think you'll find that GMAC offers replacement with the same model new RV for the first five years. AFTER 5 year they will pay the original purchase price, not current value..

I just got the quote from GMAC (through "Monaco" insurance, but I believe camping World's is the same)

Ken

You are right, the auto coverage is actual cash value/replacement with like kind.

I've been very happy with GMAC except for this policy renewal. They changed computer systems and haven't gotten my policy straight yet. They are getting there slowly but we are making progress.

Tom:

The ten year rule on boat insurance is for seaworthiness and but also also general insurability.  The requirement is more common with commercial boats, but is spreading for non commercial use.  The insurance companies want to be certain minimum safety standards are met. 

Not a bad idea, actually,  for autos and motorhomes.  They might not sink but they can sure cause deaths. 

Likely not enough motorhomes and cars make it to the ten year point for insurance companies to sit up and really take notice.  Lots of boats make it well past ten years, since the advent of fiberglass. 

I don't know about California, but a growing serious problem in boating is the difficulty in disposing of fiberglass hulls.  In Maryland very stiff fines are issued for anyone abandoning a boat hull.  It costs quite a few bucks for an owner to hire someone to chop up and dispose of fiberglass.  So they are setting fines at $10,000 to make proper disposal more attractive.  :D

The Chesapeake has some serious problems of hull "littering" in the back rivers.  The old wood hulls slowly rot back into the biosphere, leaving behind engines and wiring and the like.  But the fiberglass hulls don't do anything but just sit there forever.

My pocketbook is glad to hear my motorhome won't need a survey after ten years.  :D  But I would not be opposed to insurance companies deciding to require it if older motorhome rates begin to rise.

Smoky said:
The requirement is more common with commercial boats, but is spreading for non commercial use.

Thanks Smoky. I first ran into it when I bought a 12 year old runabout back in the 80's.

Not a bad idea, actually, for autos and motorhomes. They might not sink but they can sure cause deaths.

I agree. The UK has had a "MOT" (Ministry Of Transport) mandated annual saftey inspection of vehicles for something like the last 45 years. You  take the vehicle to a place similar to where we go for smog inspections. The mechanic checks out stuff like brakes, brake lines, lights and a bunch of other things. He even looks for signs of rust on the chassis and body, and will fail a car that has too much rust and is likely to fall apart. The UK uses, or at least used to use, a lot of salt on the roads during the winter and this used to really rust the cars. You don't see rust on California cars.

When I had old cars and no money, I used to fabricate galvanized steel sills for my car from scrap I found at the steel plant where I worked. A few pop rivets and I had rust-free sills that would get by the MOT. Heck, I even fabricated lower door panels and riveted them on so I could pass the MOT.

Likely not enough motorhomes and cars make it to the ten year point for insurance companies to sit up and really take notice.

Maybe we should adopt the law they have in Singapore - no vehicles over 10 years old allowed on the island. When they get too old, they ship them to Indonesia. There are lots of junkers in Indonesia.

The Chesapeake has some serious problems of hull "littering" in the back rivers.

Not a big problem here yet, but it's starting to get that way. We have a wreck just outside our community that has been there for a number of weeks. One of our residents has called the Sheriff's department and the Coast Guard. Right now there are several other agencies involved, including EPA, and the Department of Boating and Waterways, and they're all either waiting for each other or pointing fingers at  one of the other agencies.

"no vehicles over 10 years old allowed on the island."

Ouch!  Wonder if they make exceptions for someone who has restored a classic or keeps their old one in creampuff condition?

They have that same rule here at the El Mirage RV Park.  But they do allow exceptions when the park manager inspects, especially for those already long time residents of the park.  Fortunately I have 9 and a half years to go.  :D

Another rule in Singapore Smoky - after you buy the expensive government permit that allows you to buy a car, there's a 300% import duty on the vehicle. Only the rich and famous drive cars there.

Remember the hullaboo some years ago about the American kid who thought it would be fun to spray paint a Mercedes in Singapore and was sentenced to several lashes? Take the price of a high end Mercedes, multiply by 4. something and then see if it's funny to have a kid with a spray paint use it as a canvas.

Back
Top Bottom