Mice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barnibus

Was out de-winterizing the Rig yesterday. All was well, until I got into the last storage bin. I found a mice nest. No mice, just a nest, made in a old folded blanket that I had used as a ground pad.
So, no sign of the little buggers anywhere in the cabin or vehicle, just the one storage area.

The thing I can figure is they came up the power cord into the power/sewer section, which is across from the bin where I found the nest.

Believe it or not, I've not had mice in a residence in decades. Freddy and his predecessors have apparently seen to that.
So, looking for the handy dandy, preferably non-lethal methods of getting rid of them, and keeping them away from our storage bins.

SpencerPJ said:
Seal the bins so they can not get in.

Now, why didn't I think of that?

Thanks

Actually, the doors all have very fine seals, and the only way I can see that the little buggers are getting in is squeezing through the very tight opening where the Shore power cord comes in. I've heard that mice can squeeze through some pretty tight spaces, but this seems to be stretching it, a bit.

I can barely even move the power cord without releasing the clamps on the plate.
But the fact that the only signs of mice are in the storage area adjacent to the section with power and tank drainage suggests that it is the power cord they are climbing to get in.
Of course, now that they have apparently gained access, the first step is to get rid of those that are inside. Then, see that none of their buddies find their way in.

Barnibus said:
Now, why didn't I think of that?
Thanks

That's why you paid big $ to join the forum.  ;) ;D ;D ;D

If you think you have it narrowed down to squeezing besides the power cord, stuff a bit of steel wool around it.  Word is, they are not fans of that.  Be warned, they will only look for another place.  The only way to stop them, well, is to A.) relocate them  (good luck) B.) move  C.) ... we know that solution.  Bucket traps are good, one of the mods has great success with them.  Good luck.  On the upside, they are not eating your wires ... yet  ;)

The best mousetrap is an outside cat. Freddy must be inside only or he is getting too old to hunt.

For those that DO make it in (and some probably will), putting a bucket trap inside the rig is one of the best methods to trap, contain, and kill the invaders. See this thread: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,24083.0.html

Another member had previously recommended "Predator Pee" (widely available online in a variety of formulas) to steer rodents away from the get-go. It sounds like a good principle, although I don't have any personal experience with it for RV use.

Yes, Freddy is an indoor cat. He does not ever care for the wide open spaces. Every time the door opens, he tucks himself in the overhead, and refuses to come out until the door is closed.

Since we have been staying at daughter's stick and brick home for the last couple of months, he has been very happy under her couch.

The mice, have never made it into the cabin. A complement to Winnebago/Itasca on the quality of their workmanship, I think.
And the power cord is the only path that I can imagine. Until I know they have moved on, I will hold off on the steel wool. May try that Predator pee, idea, though. We're not going anywhere for a while, anyway. Going to empty out all the storage bins and do a search and destroy. 

The bucket trap is by far the best mouse trap I have ever used.  It can be live capture or not.  It is cheap to build.  You need one metal coat hanger, one empty water bottle, a tablespoon of peanut butter and a kitchen trash can.  It can catch multiple mice and no need to "reset".

You may wish to crawl into the compartment, have someone you TRUST  ;D  lock you in for a few minutes and look for light leak locations.

I wish you luck.  I watched a mouse run through a hole that my pinky would not go into. 
I tried dryer sheets only to find one shreded and used as nesting material.
We tried slivers of Irish Spring soap only to find it has been gnawed when opened up in the spring.
Sitting with a shotgun and waiting is boring and the repairs can be extensive.

Matt

Matt_C said:
Sitting with a shotgun and waiting is boring and the repairs can be extensive.

Matt

ROFL  not to mention the neighbors might complain about the BOOM.

I installed one each altered tom and queen cats (no kittens that way).. No mice or evidence of mice IN the house part of the RV but even with moving every 2 weeks they chewed the primary ignition wiring once. took out two cylinders till we got the wires fixed..  (Wife could not hear the misfire.  Old time mechanic me heard it clearly).

Actually, the shotgun method CAN work!  Check this out.  Keep your eye on the mouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvXPtpzpKlI

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom