Midwyf? Love to read?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Happy Yogi!

Have you read this one?  An easy read. I like to read an easy read novel after a heavier novel like Ken Follet's World Without End so that I can savor it a bit longer.  Midwyf; by Valarie Levy.  The year is around 1200 in England.  A  medium size novel that is fun and fairly quick to read; I do recommend it !  I received a Kindle Fire and love the optional reading lights it emits, very cool.  Does any one have one of these?  I like to read novels which takes place in the middle ages.  Can you recommend a really good novel for me?  I Like action and suspense.  I don't read Stephen King or gory stuff.  Try this read: Midwyf!  Who and What did the midwifes do back then?  Funny, exciting, romantic, weird, strange, sad and inspiring!

You might like The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour (nowhere near a western), an excellent novel about the 12th century, roaming from Britain and Spain to the mid-east.

You'll find lots of stuff to read at www.hundredzeros.com.  It is a daily compilation of what's free on Amazon sorted by genre.  I've discovered some great new writers via this list.  And some pretty bad ones too.

Some of the free books are only free to Amazon Prime members though.  When you link over to Amazon be sure to check out the price before you click on buy.

There are many other sites that do the same thing.  If you google 'free ebooks' you'll see what I mean.

Another good source is your local library.  You'll probably need to install the 'Overdrive' app or something like it.  It's just like checking out a real book except it just disappears when your time is up.  No fines!

I use the Kindle app on my iPad.  I also installed the Kindle App on a Nook Tablet, just 'cause they said I couldn't.  (Insert maniacal laughter here)    ;D

A really good book is "The Invisible Bridge" by Julie Orringer.  Deals with WWII.  Great read !!

I am currently on Book 18 of the Alan Lewrie Novels by Dewey Lambdin an exceptional series of books in the Tradition of Aubrey & Maturin by O'Brien and Hornblower Chronicles by Forester. 

Free books for Kindle can be had at Ereader, Pixel of Ink, and BookBub  all are a daily email that has a daily selection of Free and reduced price books.  I currently have about 3000 on my kindle, but have been paying full price for the Lewrie Novels,  I think there are 21 or so of them.

Tom...

Thanks to all! 

I'm well  aware of Amazon's selections; been there, done it.  For two yrs I've had a Kindle Touch and used it overseas.  Thanks all the same.

The Walking Drum?  Sounds like a good story!  Thanks, I'll have to put that in my library!

The Invisible Bridge;  A fantastic book!  I've read that one.  I do appreciate it anyway.

Both my husband and I love to read.  We both read the Ken Follett books; The trilogy first book - The Fall of the Giants (WWI)  second book  World without End (time line is WWII) and now the third book is out called Edge of Eternity.  My husband says he downloaded that book from a library and it will be available in two weeks.  Perfect timing.  I should be done with my current book by then.

Here's one for all who love medical thrillers!  The Marker by Robin Cook.  This one will have you on the edge of your seat!  Enjoy!

Liz

"The Good Thief" by Hannah Tinti is so well written. I can't recall the time period, but well worth the read.

Alisa

I havent read the books, nor do I watch the show on television, but my son swears that the Game of Throne books are very good, even better than the TV series. My husband downloaded a series called "Jet" by Russell Blake, about a former female assassin who is trying to get out of the business.

I recently caught up on a series of books called Darkwater Bay novels, by LS Sygnet. The first one is called Daddy's Little Killer. Very good psychological thrillers with the heroine being a former FBI profiler who's father is a serial killer. The plots are good, but sometimes get caught up in the drama of the love story between the two main characters.

This one was not free, but only 1.99.  The Wreck of the Titan ....  Written in about 1880 it is about the wreck of a huge steamship, the largest ever, with watertight doors and unsinkable, which goes on to hit an iceberg.  Fairly short, has 2 other short stories in there. 

Makes you wonder of the naming of Titanic, were they cognizant of the book?  Just wierd twist of history?

Love my Kindle, have the Fire HDX.  eBook and Book Blurb give me options everyday, only issue is the wide lasso of genre.  I like historical, but get historacl romance in my offers every day.  I just ignore, have tried fine tuning, but romance is everywhere in these descriptions.

Jack Whyte, a Canadian I recently discovered, has done an excellent series of books dramatizing the first king of Britain. Also a series on the Knights Templar; their rise and demise.
I don't know if he is digital - I found him on the shelf in the local library.

The Wreck of the Titan?  It sounds great!  I just found another source "library" all of you!  Ha, ha, I'm so glad I've discovered another fantastic group of Readers!  Those are the perfect stories I like; battles, struggles, intrigue and a tiny bit of romance!

My husband says the book series " Game of Thrones"  which he is currently reading (he can read two books at one time) is exactly like the movies!    Amazing! 
Thanks again!

When I was a young boy, many summers ago, I was returning a handful of books that I had picked solely because I had heard they were great books. The Librarian sized me up pretty quick I'm sure. She asked me which I liked the best? I told her a bit meekly that I didn't get very far with any of them. Perhaps they were just to old for me. She smiled and led me to the card index. Do they still have these? She introduced me to the early books of Robert A Heinlein. God bless her where ever she is. These early stories opened up my world and taught me many of the things every young boy needs to know. Needless to say this began a life long fascination with his work. As I grew older and more mature I found him again with his more adult 'Speculative Fiction'. Without a doubt, the one book that made the biggest impression on me was Starship Troopers. Yes, of the same title as those movies but miles above in quality. this is not the only book of his that stirred up controversy but it's my favorite.
I hope that some of you will Grok this :)

...was Starship Troopers. Yes, of the same title as those movies but miles above in quality.

Almost not the same story, and I agree, the book is great, as is most of Heinlein's stuff. I, too, encountered his teenager's series as a young teen, and it served as a springboard for a lifelong love of reading and science (and science fiction, too). He also set a standard of writing for me that sometimes made it difficult to enjoy reading lesser talents.

I don't have anything to contribute to the thread at this time but I want to follow it.  Hopefully I will have time to do some casual reading after I graduate in May.  :-\ ::) :)

I'm currently reading War and Peace.  Who has read this book?  I'm only on chapter two but it sure seems like it's all about war strategies and certain officer's goals.  Does it get more interesting later?  I'm trying hard to keep track of these Russian names.  I don't know why I have such a hard time with these names!  Am I the only one who has a difficult time with these names?  I know it's suppose to be one of the best ever written novels.  What do you think about this book?  Do you think men like war stories more than women?  Without giving much away, is this a war story?

I tried reading  War and Peace back in high school. It didn't go well, mainly because of the names. When I was in college, a friend who was a philosophy major with a minor in Russian history, gave me a cheater book that helped me get the names straight. I was able to read more than half of it, but never finished.  I don't remember the name or publisher or anything, but looking through the internet, I found this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_and_Peace

On this page, there is a list of the names in the story and their relationships to each other and their parts in the story. It may help you get them straight.

War and Peace is not so much a war story as it is a look a the Russian society back in the days of the tzars. I would not say its the best book ever, though it was significant. My favorite Russian novel was the Brothers Karamozov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

I never made it through War and Peace  However I did like Anna Karenina another lengthy novel by Leo Tolstoy.

Another book I enjoyed involving social/political issues in China during the 1920s was The Good Earth by Pearl Buck.  I had a rather sheltered childhood so when I read the book in my early 20's it made a big impact on me. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coffeegal
Back
Top Bottom