Minor steering wheel issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

My steering wheel in my new RV is a few degrees to the right, driving straight in either direction on the same day while on the freeway.

Could have it come form the factory that way?

Is it a possible indicator of the wheel alignment being off, or is it more likely only the steering wheel that is not centered?

-Don- Kingman, AZ

Yes, it is an indicator the thrust angle is incorrect. A total alignment for a MH runs around $300, which includes thrust angle.(4-wheel alignment for cars) at a HDT repair shop. I suspect RV shops are higher.

Yes, it is an indicator the thrust angle is incorrect. A total alignment for a MH runs around $300, which includes thrust angle.(4-wheel alignment for cars) at a HDT repair shop. I suspect RV shops are higher.
Well, this RV was like that since new, I should have mentioned it the first day I noticed it.

I assume after i come back from this trip it will be too late for a warranty repair.

But $300.00 isn't a big deal. Not much more than filling up this 80 gallon gas tank.

-Don- Kingman, AZ

Any large truck repair shop that has an alignment machine can align a MH. My thrust angle(rear axle) was off by 3/4". After the alignment the MH drives so much easier and actually gets a tad bit more mileage.
I suspect Winnebago never had it re-aligned after the coach was built.

Any large truck repair shop that has an alignment machine can align a MH. My thrust angle(rear axle) was off by 3/4". After the alignment the MH drives so much easier and actually gets a tad bit more mileage.
I suspect Winnebago never had it re-aligned after the coach was built.SO it changes after the house is put omn
Are you saying that wheel alignment normally changes with the weight of the house section? So then this will be a common issue with new RVs.

I hope it can wait until after this trip of several thousand miles. I know of a truck/RV shop near my Auburn house that I have used for my Y2K RV a few times, including wheel alignment.

-Don- Kingman, AZ

It's probably not that the road wheels are out of alignment as you drive. It's more likely the adjustment of the steering mechanism, i.e. when the road wheels are straight, the steering wheel is off center. Most likely the coach was aligned after it was built but they failed to correct the steering wheel to match. In any case, you need a front end shop to correct it and it may involve tinkering with the alignment as well. So yes, you will pay for a "front end alignment".

It's probably not that the road wheels are out of alignment as you drive. It's more likely the adjustment of the steering mechanism, i.e. when the road wheels are straight, the steering wheel is off center. Most likely the coach was aligned after it was built but they failed to correct the steering wheel to match. In any case, you need a front end shop to correct it and it may involve tinkering with the alignment as well. So yes, you will pay for a "front end alignment".
If that's the case, it can wait a few years until when I should have the wheel alignment done.

-Don- Kingman, AZ

I would guess these alignments are done as "presets" down an assembly line, hard to picture built rigs being loaded in an alignment bay for a 4 wheel alignment. If it tracks OK otherwise I would have no qualms about tweaking the tie rod adjustment to center the wheel. Do the same quarter or half turn on each side until you dial it in.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

If it tracks OK otherwise I would have no qualms about tweaking the tie rod adjustment to center the wheel. Do the same quarter or half turn on each side until you dial it in.
I tried that on my first RV (MY 1979) and screwed it all up. Perhaps I turned one the wrong way or whatever. Anyway, since then, I decided to let the pros do such jobs.

There are some automotive jobs I just will not do myself. Steering stuff is one of them. Fixing fuel tank issues is another.

Besides, I don't want the steering wheel adjusted without the wheel alignment checked. And only shops have the stuff to do the job right and leave no doubts.

This RV steering is off center just enough to notice, it's now way out or anything.

-Don- Kingman, AZ

The post linked below on the Jayco forum may be helpful. It's for a 2014 F53, but as far as I know the same procedure is used on current F53's. At least my 2019 shop manual shows the same procedure. Prior to 2011, it was as simple as popping off the steering wheel and recentering it on the splines. After that, Ford added a keyway that fixes the steering wheel position on the shaft.

Crooked Steering Wheel, Alignment Woes - Jayco RV Owners Forum

Last edited:
The post linked below on the Jayco forum may be helpful.
Thanks, but I am not going to do the job myself. When I think it's time for a wheel alignment, I will have it all done then. Sooner if I notice other issues, such as uneven front tire wear.

-Don- Kingman, AZ

If it tracks OK otherwise I would have no qualms about tweaking the tie rod adjustment to center the wheel. Do the same quarter or half turn on each side until you dial it in.
The F53 tie rod just connects the right and left spindles, setting the toe-in. Some vehicles have an adjustable drag link that can be used to center the steering wheel, but the F53 has a solid non-adjustable drag link.

The F53 tie rod just connects the right and left spindles, setting the toe-in. Some vehicles have an adjustable drag link that can be used to center the steering wheel, but the F53 has a solid non-adjustable drag link.
So does that mean my wheels are out of alignment for sure?

-Don- Albuquerque, NM

I think you will be ok for the trip. Most likely they just didn't center the wheel after they did the rough alignment on the base chassis. Nearly all RV's have tucked away in the paperwork (some ware) instructions to get it aliened after it is loaded for the road. So for now if it isn't pulling and the steering wheel is just a little off I would wait till you get back.
Bill

FWIW - My steering wheel alignment ('14 F53 Chassis) changes a bit depending on the road crown. Not a big deal, the coach steers straight ahead and handles well.

As the others have noted, the steering wheel position being off does not mean your wheel alignment is off. All we're saying is the common methods of centering a steering wheel on other vehicles using an adjustable drag link, a split tie rod, or the steering wheel splines, don't apply to your F53. Slipping the splines at the steering shaft universal joint is recommended fix. One note: The battery should be disconnected for the adjustment, since there's a risk of raising the loosened universal joint too high and shorting the "clock spring" that carries the wiring connections for the horn and other electrical devices mounted on the steering wheel, including the air bag if equipped...

Back
Top Bottom