Mirrorless cameras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I have the Panasonic flash figured out. Next challenge, figure out the video capability.

Tom said:
I think I have the Panasonic flash figured out. Next challenge, figure out the video capability.

The 'gotcha' with videos on most SLR cameras is that you may want to change the focusing mode because the motors can be quite loud.  Holding an SLR steady enough for video is not easy but they make all kinds of stabilizers.  Or for the old school folks among us a tripod works just fine.

Understood Russ, thanks. I have a tripod  ;D

The Panasonic G7 captures stunning 4K video, but it's a huge storage hog. Alternate formats, such as MP4 can be shot at different resolutions, and produce acceptable results.

I faced the same SLR to mirrorless transition about a year ago. I had a Canon 60D with three lenses and it became a significant burden to haul around while hiking. I looked at the Canon M3 and it just didn't do much for me. Its been awhile, so I forget the detailed issues. At the same time I looked at an Olympus OMD-10, Mark II and found it a whole lot nicer. I decided not to go with OMD-1 as the body was over twice as much and I didn't see enough value to justify the cost. 

I also have an old Olympus E-500 (with a minuscule 2MB sensor) and a couple of lenses and the plan at the time was to buy the adapter and use my exiting lenses. I bought the OM-D with the standard 40-150mm zoom and planned on using the standard Olympus lenses I had for the E-500. That plan lasted through the first trip. 90% of the weight was in the lenses.

I quickly bought the 14-42mm pancake lens and the 75-300 zoom. The M.Zuiko lenses are the same or better quality (I'm not including Pro lenses here) and weigh a fraction of the Zuiko lenses. The only thing missing is a very wide angle lens (Olympus is a 4/3 format so the effective focal lengths are double the nameplate so 14 mm is actually 28). Olympus only makes one in the Pro M.Zuiko line and I'm not ready to drop $2K on a lens. 

I've been very happy with the OMD so far and don't miss the Canon. My daughter ended up with the 60D is happy with it so we won all the way around.

Denver Transplant said:
The only thing missing is a very wide angle lens (Olympus is a 4/3 format so the effective focal lengths are double the nameplate so 14 mm is actually 28). Olympus only makes one in the Pro M.Zuiko line and I'm not ready to drop $2K on a lens. 
I too ended up with an E-M10ii when moving from Canon DSLR.  While not a truly wide lens, maybe take a look at the Oly 9-18.  You can regularly see them for under $500 used.  I'm also keeping my open for when the announced Laowa 7.5/2 rectilinear is available to the masses.  It's a manual lens but looks promising for astrophotography and even real estate photography if you have decent processing skills.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/lenses/m-zuiko-ed-9-18mm-f4-0-5-6-black.html

https://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-7-5mm-f2/

Here are some Flickr shots of the up and coming Laowa:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/137268551@N02/sets/72157679920711224

Gizmo said:
Tom, I have found most camera manuals to be frustrating to glean the information you need to use. A better choice is to do one of two things, or both, go to you tube and type in your camera make and model and look for tutorials and look for a book on your specific camera.  I have found these to be way more useful.

The real problem with camera manuals is that while they do an adequate job of telling you how to do something, they fail to explain why you might want to do it.

Joel

quadna71 said:
While not a truly wide lens, maybe take a look at the Oly 9-18.  You can regularly see them for under $500 used.

LOL! I was a full-time photojournalist for 40 years, just ending up my career a couple of years ago. For most of those 40 years, my widest lens was a 20mm, with the 14 being the widest for the last 5 years. The Olympus 9-18 equates to an 18-36mm lens. In 1976, I would have killed for an 18mm wide lens! I do use the 9-18 with my kit and while I wish I had the money to get the 7-14 PRO lens, I find that the 9-18 does almost everything the pro lens does at much less cost.

I agree - unless weather sealing is a priority, you can typically compensate with the 9-18.  Currently I gravitate more towards primes such as the 12/2, 17/1.8, 25/1.8, 45/1.8, and 75/1.8 and my 14-42ez being my only telephoto at this time.  Having so many economical lens varieties available between Oly & Pana is great!

Thanks. Yesterday was our first test of videos with the G7 and an external mic'. My DW was in the audience while I was on stage, so I couldn't offer any help. I was quite impressed with the results, although the video needs a little work in Corel or Pinnacle.

Back
Top Bottom