moab headed south to Grand Canyon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The route North will be weather dependent as the road up past Jacob Lake may be snow bound so you'd need to check. We really like that one and the area around Kanab is fabulous.

South Rim is probably best at this time of year, and lovely too.

The route North will be weather dependent as the road up past Jacob Lake may be snow bound so you'd need to check. We really like that one and the area around Kanab is fabulous.

South Rim is probably best at this time of year, and lovely too.
The road to the North Rim closes at Jacob's lake somewhere between Oct 15th and Nov 30th every year.
Here's a quote from the NPS site:

Between October 15 and October 31, the North Rim is open for Day Use Only - unless you have a reservation to camp overnight in the North Rim Campground. Reservations can be made through Recreation.gov. > Between November 1 and November 30, the North Rim is open for Day Use only. During winter months, the North Rim closes because of snow.

Headed eventually over to Overton, nevada. Trying to decide whether to go the grand canyon south way or Page North way... first couple of weeks of November. Your thoughts?
Have you got a spot for the winter in Overton?

Donna and Mark, if you're going over to Overton, there are several really good boondocking spots. We prefer Stewart point which is right beside Lake Mead. The road in is a little bumpy but we did it last year with our 34 ft and I'm just as precious with the rig. If you don't want to enter lake mead NP, there's another big free camping area just south of Overton called Poverty flats. Nearest dump and water is in the valley of fire.
If you go the Page route, thoroughly recommend Kaibab Paiute campground for full hookup and the cleanest facilities we have ever found. Super friendly people and $25 a night. Half price with PA card, bargain 👍
Thanks Tony, what is PA card??

I answered that without moving my fingers :):) Of course, Jackie is right. Cost around $39 for a year, gives 50% discount, saved over $1000 last year!
I checked into the PA.. might just do that! Is it effective the moment you buy it?

I checked into the PA.. might just do that! Is it effective the moment you buy it?
Yes, in fact the first we knew of it was the first night after leaving the dealers. Stopped at an RV park and I saw the leaflet, asked if I could join there. Unfortunately, participating parks can't sign you up but they kindly gave me the discount anyway!
I phoned the number next day, paid by card and was sent email with membership number and cover letter valid for 30 days until the card arrived.
This year, they offered 2 years for the price of one, and we've only been members since January 2019. At the price, I doubt anything touches it, you can see all the participating parks online and what restrictions they have before even signing up. The big savings made last year was thanks to an RV park that let us stay 9 weeks just as Covid was getting spread. That park will always be in our thoughts.

I see PA are offering free additional 6 months membership this month, so 18 months for the price of 12.

Perhaps I should look at whether I get a bonus for recommendations 😁😁
If you could get a bonus for recommendations then Gary would be a rich man. He has made many fantastic recommendations, not for PA but for many other items. I had a PA many years ago and I bought it to drive across the country. It paid for itself in one trip. Most PA campgrounds only give the discount for one or two nights, it is not for long term.

Seilerbird is correct, a lot of sites only offer the discount for 1 or 2 nights, and restrict when you can use the discount, either by months or which weekdays you can use it. However, even though we can only normally use it for the 6 months during our visa stay, we have never failed to get at least 10 times our investment back. We also had a good Sam card, but didn't get back what it cost. Just how it was, not necessarily the cards fault.

For the benefits we get already from the card, we're already quids in. Just happy to spread something useful. Our membership is valid for two years and who knows where we will be then, but, if we are in a position to want to renew, we are happy to take the discount and make equivalent donation to a Veterans charity.

Remember, there are two different and totally separate Passport America's. It was a family deal that split up. They both seem to have the same offers and the campgrounds do not differentiate between them. Unusual situation similar to the Aldi grocery is split in two by the family.

Passport America - The Original 50% Discount Camping Club (this is Passport-America dot com)

The "original" Passport America so they claim, notice the hyphen in the name above (you have to look at the actual web address, and not here) Passport America, The Original 50% Off Discount Camping Club (this is PassportAmerica dot com)

Charles

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom