Moab Utah to Santa Fe New Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whirlwind

Hi folks.  I'm currently in Moab Utah, and tomorrow will be heading to Santa Fe NM. 

I'm looking for route suggestions.

The easiest way seems to be to continue down 191 South, but according to the Mountain Directory West just south of Blanding Utah there is an 11% downhill grade.  It is only about 1/2 mile in length, but just the thought of that scares me a bit.

Has anyone done that descent?  Any thoughts?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Whirlwind

We went the opposite direction from Taos to Moab on our way to the Moab Rally this spring.  I don't recall any really white knuckle sections but we would have been climbing as opposed to descending.  We took, 191 to 491, via Cortez, waive to Wendy & Mike, and we spent a few days visiting Mesa Verde, then down to 64 at Durango, and while there are some good sized hill, the roads are good and  we had no difficulty.

Ed

Whirlwind,

We just got home from Moab, and on our way from Moab to Escalante via Utah 12, we encountered this.  When the 4 miles ended, the next sign said 12% for 8 miles. Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!  ;D

Stan

Attachments

• 2012 Vacation 298.jpg
    2012 Vacation 298.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 20
That hill south of Blanding is nothing to worry about....unless you plan on turning east at the bottom of the hill headed toward Hovenweep. But Ed's route is a better one, thru Cortez. And you can wave to me when you pass the Walmart (wave north, not south toward the Walmart). The drive from Cortez to Durango to Pagosa Springs is quite nice right now with the aspens approaching peak colors.

Enjoy the scenery.
Wendy
Cortez CO

We have photographed some amazing scenery in that area in the last two years, but some of the best was the aspens changing in the Pagosa Springs-Durango-Chama area. Absolutely breathtaking! And an early dusting of snow in Wolf Creek Pass got me my favorite snowscape of all time.

Climbing the hills is the payment - the scenery is the reward!

Whirlwind,

We went south on 191 after the Moab rally last May and I don't even remember that grade you mentioned, so it isn't memorable enough to worry about!  We've done that same route in both directions over the last several years.  What I DO remember is the day we left Moab was awful with wind, smoke from the AZ fire, and blowing sands.  You couldn't even see the south end of the Moab valley!  We cut across the northeastern corner of AZ and finally decided to "hole up" in Farmington NM for the long Memorial weekend.  On that easterly leg our awnings tried their darndest to open and our propane underbay door DID open!  Luckily there was no oncoming traffic and we got it closed.  Like I said, the tiny grade on 191 is nothing to worry about.  ;)

ArdraF

Ardra - You took the long way to Farmington, didn't you? Cut down at Monticello to Cortez then Shiprock and it shaves off 30 miles.

There are 3 good hills between Moab and Hwy 160. Lots of little ups and downs, too. First you hit a short uphill before you get to Monticello. Between Monticello and Blanding, there's Devil's Canyon which used to be a steep down and a steep up but the truckers didn't like it so it was redone a few years ago to make it a much smaller dip. There's a nice forest service campground there. Then south of Blanding, after you pass thru White Mesa Ute Reservation, there's a short steep downhill section which isn't bad unless you plan on turning left onto the road to Hovenweep National Monument which is at the bottom of the hill.

Ardra, you were probably too busy trying to drive in the wind or watching the awning trying to blow away to even notice the hills :)

Wendy

Ardra, you were probably too busy trying to drive in the wind or watching the awning trying to blow away to even notice the hills

No joke, Wendy!  Actually Jerry started driving from Moab and it was headwinds, then I took over in time for the side winds which were coming from the south and blowing drifts of sand across the road.  Not one of our more fun days of driving!  It's a miracle I even saw the bay door was open because the sun created a huge shadow on the driver side.  Needless to say I couldn't believe my eyes when it was what I thought.  We hadn't heard it open probably because there were so many other creaks and groans going on!

ArdraF

Ardra, we went through a day like that the day we left West Yellowstone.  It started with what we would call a smelt storm at home, that is a big spring snow storm, which would bring the spring run of smelt into the rivers to spawn, then as we were crossing Montana going to Alberta, our slide awning started unrolling.  It wasn't a lot of fun climbing onto the roof to tape it together while the semis were blowing by us on the interstate.  It would have been around the same time as you were having your fun with the wind.

Ed

We had one of those going north out of Moab. Headed straight into a big wind. Got to I-70 and headed west which made the wind smack into the passenger side. In the rearview mirror, I saw the awning pole starting to pop in and out and the awning starting to unroll. Mike pulled over to the side and was going to climb on the roof and tie it all down but about that time, there was some huge lightning and he decided that the roof probably wasn't a good place to be. Got one pole tied down by reaching out the window then when the lightning died off, he went outside and tied down the other side. We limped into Green River where we found a building and parked on the downwind side. Untied things, started to pull out the awning and the whole thing snapped back into place. We decided we'd driven far enough and overnighted in the parking lot at the Green River Conoco.....not recommended as it's very, very noisy.

Wendy

We have driven US-191 South from Moab several times in recent years. There are ups and downs, but no switchbacks or low speed curves with steep dropoffs that I can recall. We just drove from Cortez to Durango through Pagosa Springs to Taos and on to Santa Fe last week. Good two lane road all the way. Which route you choose in my opinion depends on where you want to stop and what you want to see along the way.

Thanks for all of the replies! 

I ended up going down 191 then cutting over to Cortez.  Then through Shiprock and on to Gallup.  Tonight I'm in Santa Fe.  BF arrives tomorrow to spend ten days with me (YAY). 

My only problem with Hwy. 191 South was the damn trucks.  The speed limit was 65, and I was rolling around 63.  It was like a race track.  At one point, an 18-wheeler came blowing by me doing at least 80.  He passed me on a double yellow line, at the crest of a hill.  God was watching over us, nobody was coming from the opposite direction.  If I'd had my wits about me I'd have gotten the numbers from his truck and reported his reckless driving. 

OK, back to the trip at hand...

We want to see things around the Santa Fe area, then go up to Durango for awhile.  I have GOT to see the changing leaves and such up that way, I know they are beautiful.

Any recommendations re: Santa Fe and Durango, as far as things to see and do?  We are nature/outdoors folks, and don't care too much for the gift shops.  I'd like to do the Durango/Silverton Railroad, but at this point in my trip it seems pricey (I've been on the road for 4+ months now).

Also, any tidbits re: the drive and trip to Durango?  I'm hoping to stay at the Durango Riverside Resort. 

Thanks again!!!

Whirlwind

The aspens in the San Juan Mountains above Durango are at peak right now so don't wait too long to visit ! The Durango-Silverton train ride is spectacular but it is pricey. You can see some of the same scenery by driving the San Juan Loop, Durango to Silverton to Ridgway to Telluride to Cortez and back to Durango. Or just do Durango to Silverton and back. There are lots of bike rides and hikes around Durango. If you haven't been to Mesa Verde, it's 45 miles west of Durango and should be on everyone's bucket list.

Enjoy the trip
Wendy
Cortez, Colorado

Wendy, your mention of Telluride reminds that I recently saw on HGTV's "Extreme Homes" the renovated home at the top of the Telluride valley that once was the power house for Telluride's electricity.  Very interesting segment!  I don't know how describe it's location other than up the one-way road (which I think might be the wrong direction) and at the top of Bridal Veil Falls.  They showed it first from down at Telluride and I recognized it immediately.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Wendy, your mention of Telluride reminds that I recently saw on HGTV's "Extreme Homes" the renovated home at the top of the Telluride valley that once was the power house for Telluride's electricity.  Very interesting segment!  I don't know how describe it's location other than up the one-way road (which I think might be the wrong direction) and at the top of Bridal Veil Falls.  They showed it first from down at Telluride and I recognized it immediately.

ArdraF

Ardra -  Wish I'd seen that episode. Will have to look for it running again. The place is at the top of the waterfall. The road is 2-way until you get to the top. It's a very scenic spot with awesome views back down the valley. Wonder what they paid for the place AND for the remodel to turn it into a place to live. Oh well, if they can afford to live in Telluride, they don't have to worry about the cost :)

Wendy

Any recommendations re: Santa Fe and Durango, as far as things to see and do?  We are nature/outdoors folks, and don't care too much for the gift shops.  I'd like to do the Durango/Silverton Railroad, but at this point in my trip it seems pricey (I've been on the road for 4+ months now).

Mega museums (at least 12) in SF; mt biking at the SF Ski Basin + the road up to the Ski Basin; there are "gift" shops in SF but there are many more high end fine art galleries where you can see some incredible paintings/sculptures; of course there are golf courses, soccer fields, and many parks; Pecos Wilderness is nearby; scenic drives in any direction but especially north; Shedoni sculpture garden with bronze castings plus on some days you can see them doing castings; state capitol is in SF and worth a few minutes just to see the architecture and art; loads of traffic/visitors in SF this time of the year so take extra time.

Whirlwind said:
...We want to see things around the Santa Fe area, then go up to Durango for awhile.  I have GOT to see the changing leaves and such up that way, I know they are beautiful.

Any recommendations re: Santa Fe and Durango, as far as things to see and do?  We are nature/outdoors folks, and don't care too much for the gift shops.  I'd like to do the Durango/Silverton Railroad, but at this point in my trip it seems pricey (I've been on the road for 4+ months now)...

In the Santa Fe area are: Bandelier National Monument http://www.nps.gov/band/index.htm, Pecos Historic Park http://www.nps.gov/peco/index.htm and Tent Rocks National Monument http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/recreation/rio_puerco/kasha_katuwe_tent_rocks.html. If you want to see foliage, drive Hyde Park Road to the Santa Fe National Forest Ski Basin.

We drove US-160 East from Durango to Pagosa Springs, US-84 East/South to Chama, US-64 East to Taos, and NM-68 South to Santa Fe. Between Chama and Taos you will go through the Carson National Forest http://www.fs.usda.gov/carson/. In the Taos area, there are trails into the Rio Grande Gorge in BLM's Scenic Rivers Recreation Area.

When we were in Durango, the train was only running twice a day so unless you want to spend all day in Silverton, it is better to drive. Chama also has a scenic railroad, but not sure if it is running this time of year.

They've been building a new visitor center at the entrance but it hasn't affected the park at all. And they're always doing road construction in the park. But I don't know of anything that should you from visiting. Plus there's always Hovenweep and Aztec in the area if you want ancestral dwellings.

Back
Top Bottom