Mobile Mechanic/Inspector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXwannabe

I have seen several posts regarding having a motorhome I might choose to purchase from a private party inspected. How do you find someone qualified to do that? If I search 'mobile mechanic' I find some services that repair 18 wheelers on the road. Are they the service I want? My searches have managed to get me the local Orkin phone #  :), and numerous home inspectors, or I get some local RV Service/Repair facilities who do the State of Texas Inspections so you can get your windshield sticker. Struggling to find what I think I want?

Thoughts/Suggestions? I have been impressed with everyone's willingness to share experiences & opinions on this forum. It all helps us newbies!

TXwannabe

Check on Craigslist.  We have a few that advertise in this area. 
You can also check with Campgrounds in your area.  Some of them know of qualified repair people/inspectors.
Also check with independent RV repair facilities in your area, to see if they do inspections, or know of anyone who does.
Don't forget to check with other RVers in your area.  Possibly some of them have used, or know of a qualified inspector, who they were happy with.

Just some ideas of places to start.

A search for "mobile RV service" will often get you an RV house mechanic. They generally don't do chassis inspections, though, so those "mobile mechanic" guys might do for that. Be prepared to give them a list of what you want inspected (we have checklists in the forum Library).

A few metro areas will have some professional RV inspectors - it's a small but growing business. Whether the people hanging out an "RV Inspector" sign are qualified and reliable remains to be seen. So far there is no professional association to set standards or give accreditation.

I would start by looking up campgrounds near you.. USUALLY the management will have one or more mobile RV technicians on their "Who to call when you need to call someone" list.  Some of them may be willing to do an inspection and others can suggest who can.

You can also do a lot yourself..  Here is now to learn..> Read the forum, epically all message threads discussing water damage.  This is is one of the more common issues that you find "HIDDEN" in a motor home,  another thread topic to search is "MOLD"  If you learn how to identify these two problems.. MOST other HOUSE issues are fairly minor by comparison.

Engine, Drive Train, Suspension and Chassis issues are another matter..  Those you should have professionally inspected.

Watching start of TV show: Blue Bloods, from 8/29.... Regan just named my favorite fictional law firm (From the 3 Stooges) Dewy, Cheatem & Howe.

As I am quickly learning, you get solid suggestions and recommendations on this forum! Thanks, everyone!

you can check and see if the mechanic you chose is reviewed on http://rvservicereviews.com/Index.asp

Great Question!  You will be happy to know there is now a national service now providing certified RV inspections.  You may visit usedrvinspection.com to learn about RVIC and the NRVIA.  Drop me a comment if I can be of assistance!

Back
Top Bottom