Moped/Motorcycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wsthomas1

I have a 24 foot Class C. I'm looking to set it up with a motorcycle/moped rack on the class II receiver so I don't have to tow my car.  I have no idea what I need, the moped/motorcycle will need to handle two people and go up to 60 miles per hour.  Can anybody give me ideas on what I need, or maybe a website to look at.  Thank You.

We started carrying a Vespa 150 this summer on our 24 foot class C. Harbor Freight sells a carrier that slides into the hitch, includes a ramp, about $150, rated for 400 lbs.. I added two eye bolts through the back of the RV for tie downs and it is very stable. I also had to move my spare tire closer to the RV. It now sits on the bumper with a carriage bolt also drilled through.

You are well beyond moped range, but a scooter like the Vespas or Suzuki Bergman should do the job. However, you have to watch the weight, cause the bike hanging off the back adds a lot of weight on the coach rear axle (its actual weight, multiplied by the distance to the axle) and lifts a similar amount off the front. Even a couple hundred lbs back there can make a huge difference in axle loads and handling.

I concur with Gary, that's why I moved my spare tire up flush to the back so the bike is also tucked up in close too. My 150cc carries two adults satisfactorily and will do 65mph but feels much safer at 45. As far as front end lift or handling, the RV drives the very same with or without. I can?t see pulling a toad with a 24 foot C. The bike is easy on easy off, it gives us mobility once camp is set up and it?s a blast having on back roads and in tourist traps.

Back
Top Bottom