Motion Sickness During Storms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKing

Does anyone else get motion sickness in their RV during a strong storm?
I moved into a 33' 5th wheel for long-term and have been living in it for a week. I kept getting nauseous and today put two and two together. We've had really strong storms come through, and that's when I was getting so nauseous. The rig is as stable as we can get it, so I'm not sure what else to do.
Am I weird or do other people get motion sickness in their rig during strong storms??

Keep a bottle of the quick acting Dramamine in the medicine cabinet. When flying or taking a cruise DW uses the long-acting patches.

Does anyone else get motion sickness in their RV during a strong storm?
I moved into a 33' 5th wheel for long-term and have been living in it for a week. I kept getting nauseous and today put two and two together. We've had really strong storms come through, and that's when I was getting so nauseous. The rig is as stable as we can get it, so I'm not sure what else to do.
Am I weird or do other people get motion sickness in their rig during strong storms??
The Mrs has very sensitive sense of balance and motion. Even when sitting, with struts down, she can feel the slightest motion.
So, yeah, you may get used to it, but you might want to try that Dramamine.
I can feel it, too, but it doesn't usually bother me that much.

Sounds like that little bit of side to side motion is affecting you. You can eliminate most of that with four 30" single helix anchors and galvanized straps run crossway from frame to anchor ( in an X) . One set on the front, one on the rear.

There are things that can be done to improve the stability of your parked RV, but nothing will make it as solid as a house. Since part of the weight is probably still sitting on the axles, I would start with a good set of wheel chocks that lock the two wheels together on each side. I would also put at least 4 of the screw type jack stands on each corner and possibly in the middle as well. Adding a hitch stabilizer to the front will also help some. The other thing sometimes done is to put stands under the slides to keep that weight from moving.

Sailed and piloted a bunch and dealt with this a lot.

Dramamine works for almost everyone. Ginger snaps work for a lot of people.

Another big help is if you can get the shades up with a pretty clear view. On boats and planes focus on the horizon helps as does "far looking."

My wife has never been sick flying or sailing but she cannot read a book underway in any vessel including cars. Even when moored up/docked up she can only read on a boat if she is on decks and can see the horizon out her periphery.

That does not sound pleasant. I know Dramamine works for a lot of people but I only took it once as a precautionary measure while deep sea fishing and it made me feel like I had not slept in a week. Fortunately I don't have issues with it but if I did I would try natural treatments like ginger.

The rig is as stable as we can get it, so I'm not sure what else to do.
You aren't weird - just a member of that segment of people who are highly sensitive to motion. My wife was like that too.

Perhaps if you described what you have done to make it stable, we could suggest some improvements. It will never be like a house built on a concrete slab, but there are methods to make an RV trailer more firm/stable that you may not be aware of. For example, the tandem wheel chocks that Kirk mentioned. Some others are a kingpin jack and a set of actual jacks under the frame at the axle and rear. Some combination of those might be enough to get you comfortable.

I get motion sickness when I get up from my desk. Then I remember to take my computer glasses off.:oops:

My wife gets motion sickness almost any time we take a long drive on a road that's got a lot of curves. But if she's driving, she's fine. Not sure what's going on but suspect it's partly mental. Most RVs will move a bit, sometimes a lot, in high wind situations. If you have any concerns about whether or not your RV will remain standing, that might amplify your senses.

I echo what the others have said, but don't suffer from it myself--lucky, I guess. Also make sure your rig is level. Carry a level with you, and check level on broad sections of the floor.

The grounding exercises others mentioned are huge. Make sure you can see outside, horizon, tree line, hills, etc. Crack a window for fresh air, etc. All else, dramamine.

if a person doesn't want to take meds there are wrist bands with a small ball that puts a pressure point on the inside of wrist and is very effective at relieving motion sickness. I got a set at Walmart ( right by the Dramamine) & very cheap. Plus they actually work on most folks. My Wife used them a few times when I was flying & actually " cured " her motion sickness.

I would put the rv up on concrete blocks. One set on each corner and a set in the middle of the rv on each side. Be very careful about putting blocks under the slide outs. If you are on very hard ground, you can do it but if the ground is soft, you could have issues with settling and it could damage your slide.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom