Motorhome Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geodrake

Moderator Emeritus
I have searched the forum for MH Insurance, but most of the topics talk about premium cost and ignore claims.  I'm trying to find out how various Main Stream companies do with claims.  Liability is not the issue, I think we all have that covered or at least have made decisions relative to the coverage we feel comfortable with.  But what about repairing our motorhome?  Does anyone have experience here, good or bad, to share?  How do State Farm, All State, Geico, etc. compare with that available from FMAC, Good Sams, Etc.?

I've only had a couple claims on mine and those were glass damage. Never had any problems at all - just a phone call and everything was handled promptly.  That includes a $1200+ windshield replacement for a small stone chip. I have RV claim experience with National Interstate and The Hartford (AARP) and would readily recommend either one for both price and service.

It's been many years, but State Farm paid $1,300 for glass replacement (windshield and side window) on our prior coach. No hassle, just a phone call, and State Farm even gave me phone numbers for companies to do the work.

^^ You left out Progressive in that list above (maybe it falls under "etc." ;)) which many of us have, because of their extremely low RV rates compared to other many other big name companies.

I've had two instances to make claims with Progressive now, one for roadside assistance and one for comprehensive coverages repairs (actually replacements) on my awning and driver-half of the windshield.  Their customer service is very friendly, and the local adjusters that were assigned to me contacted me promptly and were quite accommodating in getting my services initiated.  There were some delays in my repairs.  I was first given a couple different answers on the type/amount of glass coverage on my policy by Progressive phone reps, which delayed payment and ordering of the glass.  There was also a disagreement (between Progressive and the RV dealership where I took my MH) in # of labor hours for the awning replacement, so that didn't get going too quickly also.  Luckily neither of those problems kept me from camping, so I still had use of my rig while all that was being worked out.  I did make a couple calls to management about the issues, and for my troubles they waived my $250 deductible on the glass (making it a free replacement) and once I expressed my inconvenience they got the awning repair dispute ironed out quickly.  Glass and awning together were $2400, and I only paid $250 deductible for awning.  I have since upgraded my comprehensive coverage so I always have a $0 deductible on glass replacement.  All in all, I was happy with the outcome, my rates, and recommend them to anyone shopping motorhome insurance.

FWIW their other rates are not the best in my area, and I have Allstate for home & auto.

I've had a couple of RV quotes from Progressive over the years and they always came in higher than the the lowest quotes by some 15-20%. That just shows that "your mileage may vary" is the rule in  insurance premium costs.  Each company has their own rating scheme and cost structure, plus these rates vary by state as well, so each of us has to shop on their own.

I switched to GMAC when family moved from  Montana to NM. I had a better rate from another Co. in MT but didnt care for insuring my coach when I now am registered in FL.,25 miles from the gulf. I did not have have to pay sales tax to retitle in FL. because of the six month clause in Fl. tax code, this was mentioned by several in previous forum articles. As Gary stated, quotes vary from area to area so it's tough for all of us to get the same value.

harley man said:
I switched to GMAC when family moved from  Montana to NM. I had a better rate from another Co. in MT but didnt care for insuring my coach when I now am registered in FL.,25 miles from the gulf.

What was the company you used in MT?  Was just asked this morning for recommendations.

RV Roamer said:
I've had a couple of RV quotes from Progressive over the years and they always came in higher than the the lowest quotes by some 15-20%. That just shows that "your mileage may vary" is the rule in  insurance premium costs.

Very true.  I didn't mention but my MH is registered in Illinois.  No other companies even came close to matching the Progressive rates here.

Back
Top Bottom