Motorhome / Semi truck Ban

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizard46

Well Macon Georgia has banned any vehicle over 10K Lbs to be parked in front of or beside any location not specifically designated for such parking. Lots of Motorhome and Semi truck owners very upset

There’s a lot of businesses that do this on their own. The Lowe’s in Wytheville, VA has signs indicating no semi or RV parking. They erected structures at all entrances preventing vehicles of a certain height from entering the parking lot.

Hopefully they wrote the rules so that they didn't encompass the entire property. A number of cities have similar rules to prevent the unsightly appearance of an RV (or truck, trailer, or virtually anything else) sitting in view. Now they will run into the corner lot issue of someone having it behind their out of view from the front, yet in plain view from the side.

Knowing Macon and Bibb county is a consolidated government, I hope the rules don't apply to every single property in the county.

Charles

There’s a lot of businesses that do this on their own. The Lowe’s in Wytheville, VA has signs indicating no semi or RV parking. They erected structures at all entrances preventing vehicles of a certain height from entering the parking lot.
I think this is referring to keeping or storing ones own RV on their own (or rented) property. Its an attempt to "clean up" the look of the city, and probably stems from the large number of new RV owners who bought without any thought to where they would keep it, and cannot afford a storage yard, so they just park it wherever they can.

The problem is Macon is a consolidated government and Bibb county and the city of Macon are one and the same, meaning large areas of very rural land, 255 sq/mi.

Charles

I think this is referring to keeping or storing ones own RV on their own (or rented) property. Its an attempt to "clean up" the look of the city, and probably stems from the large number of new RV owners who bought without any thought to where they would keep it, and cannot afford a storage yard, so they just park it wherever they can.

The problem is Macon is a consolidated government and Bibb county and the city of Macon are one and the same, meaning large areas of very rural land, 255 sq/mi.

Charles
Okay. Our HOA went from saying no RV’s can be parked at your residence to you can park them there during the season. When winter hit and our little TT was still in the driveway I was asked why. I said our RV season is all year long. Nobody has complained since.

Okay. Our HOA went from saying no RV’s can be parked at your residence to you can park them there during the season. When winter hit and our little TT was still in the driveway I was asked why. I said our RV season is all year long. Nobody has complained since.
Be ready for a rule change. It’s coming.

Without researching it, it sounds like a measure to keep homeless RV'ers out of the city.

"This one went into effect on January 1st, which will not allow commercial vehicles and trailers to be parked at your home."

Does not apply to RVs or non-commercial. Personally, I re-rout to avoid that county, along with most of the Atlanta counties. I feel sorry for the people who live there but they are the ones that elected the politicians who are making the rules.

Last edited:
I keep sayng HOAs need to erase the top of the O turning into a "U".

Now to the NO vehicle over 10K law.

There are many well intentioned, poorly written, laws. These laws do a whole lot more than they were intended. most of it bad.

Well Macon Georgia has banned any vehicle over 10K Lbs to be parked in front of or beside any location not specifically designated for such parking. Lots of Motorhome and Semi truck owners very upset
Well, not exactly. The news report linked to on a different forum specifically stated "commercial" trucks and MH's.
I can understand OTR semi-trucks being banned from parking in residential neighborhood streets since Macon is hard-pressed for parking anyway.
I'd like to read that city ordnance.

Does this mean you cannot shop at Lowes or Walmarts if you are driving a motorhome?? Or by "parking," do they mean leaving your vehicle someplace for several hours or days unattended? The article also used the phrase "left" in an area not designated for such vehicles. I would assume that would mean left there for days or weeks.

I agree that I would like to see the ordinance language.

"This one went into effect on January 1st, which will not allow commercial vehicles and trailers to be parked at your home."
The link provided for "on January 1st" says nothing about any new law about parking commercial vehicles at one's home going into effect on January 1. In fact, the link lists state laws that went into effect, which wouldn't even include a local ordinance about parking. I'm guessing some bot inserted the link into the story; it certainly doesn't support the statement that this is a new law.

And it appears this isn't a new law. I can't look in the archives of the Comprehensive Land Development Resolution it's part of, but the Comprehensive Land Development Resolution was enacted in 1981, and the web articles say the particular law at issue was enacted in 1998. What I do know is that the law at issue is in the August 16, 2022, version of the Comprehensive Land Development Resolution, published by Municode on September 23, 2022. So it was in effect before January 1 of this year.

Municode Library

Plus an article says, "Planning and Zoning are no longer giving warnings and are now giving out citations," which doesn't make sense if this is a new law.

And to the OP: Where did you get the language "in front of or beside any location not specifically designated for such parking"? I don't see it anywhere, either in the code itself or any of the stories about it.

The article that LMHS linked to says, "Macon-Bibb's Planning and Zoning says this includes 18-wheeler trailers left in public parking lots. That means the ones taking up space at shopping centers and– of course– in neighborhoods too." But I don't see anything in the Code that says, or even addresses, parking 18-wheeler trailers in public parking lots.

The ordinance they're going to start enforcing regulates parking of certain vehicles "on any lot occupied by a dwelling or any lot in any residential district." Maybe there's another ordinance or regulation that addresses leaving (or even parking) 18-wheeler trailers in public parking lots, and maybe it went into effect on January 1, but I don't see any evidence of it.

In fact, this is a good lesson. Any time someone says, "It's a law," don't believe it unless they can give a citation to the law. Even if they give you a link, check it yourself; that link for "on January 1st" had nothing to do with this law, and more and more web content is computer generated and suffering similar "quality" issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom