Motorhome set 10 yrs+ what do I need to do? Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amargosa sherry

I bought a motorhome. I was lied to. I was told everything was in good condition and well taken care of. After we bought it we were told to run premium gas in it. We filled it with premium and couldnt go over 40 mph on the freeway. We ended up having to be towed 200+ miles home. We used the bathroom and there is water leaking from the edge. So I’m guessing the seals are all dried out. It now won’t start and has bent / broken rods… I have a mechanic looking at the engine. I need Help with everything else. What all should we check to get it road ready.

I'm sorry, this is not what you want to hear but this sounds really bad. A motorhome that sat that long can be a real money pit and the engine itself is only the tip of the iceberg. Transmission, brakes, steering, tires, etc. have likely all deteriorated to the same extent while it sat and these have to be taken into account. Rubber hoses, seals and fan belts are probably stiff and rotten. All of the tires will definitely have to be replaced after sitting for 10 years even if they have plenty of tread left.

I hate to say this, but you'll have to decide if this motorhome is worth fixing or whether you should cut your losses and look for one in better shape now that you have a better idea of what to look for. One advantage a truck and trailer has over a motorhome is if drivetrain repairs get too expensive you can replace the truck without losing your investment in the trailer. And vice-versa, you can replace the trailer without losing your investment in the truck.

I've owned several old motorhomes over the years and the first thing I do before I even consider buying one is to make sure it runs OK, or can be made to run well for relatively little money. There's no use fixing the house part of a motorhome that doesn't run properly, unless you plan to park it and use it like a cabin. I can do most of my own work, if you have to pay someone else to fix things it can get really expensive in a hurry.

On the good side, the toilet leak sounds relatively minor. If it's fresh water it's likely coming from the shaft of the flush valve when water flows through it. In fact, mine is doing that now and I just put a towel under the leak to absorb the water until I can get a new valve.

I am sorry about your situation, but this exactly why we so strongly suggest inexperienced RV buyers hire a certified RV inspector before making a purchase.

I also second the idea of spending some time evaluating the overall condition of the RV before you spend anymore money, if it has been sitting for 10 years at a minimum it will need new rubber brake hoses, possibly new brake calipers, full flush of the brake system, in fact full replacement of all fluids (oil, coolant, power steering, diff), replacement of fuel filter, and that is just the drive train stuff, the roof will need inspection, and likely resealing if not replacement (roof replacement is a $10,000+ job), plumbing needs to be checked out, there may be freeze damage if it was not properly winterized, ...

Welcome to rvforum.net!
Your mechanic will repair the engine, so focus on the obvious things defective. The commode leaking at the base might be stopped by tightening the hold-down bolts/nuts on the commode base. All the appliances in your MH have service manuals, which may be found and downloaded from: https://myrvworks.com/manuals/
The item requiring the most attention right now is the roof. Closely inspect for water stains inside, and soft spots on the roof, which is a sure sign of a roof leak.
It it too late now, but a gas engine un-started for 10 years will have rusted cylinders. That might be the cause of bent piston rods and broken piston rings. Standard procedure is to remove spark plugs and put a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder before starting.

Last edited:
Did you buy it sight unseen?
It was obviously NOT taken care of and now you' ve got what will most likely be a money pit.
Perhaps it might be better to cut your losses now.

Back
Top Bottom