MOVING TO CA / RV LIVING / HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomberlin

Hello! My name is Jon Tomberlin and my family and I are moving to San Jose, CA next month to work with a church plant (a very young church). Because paying for rent is so expensive we decided to live in a RV full time. We did a lot of research and after going to many dealers, YOUTUBE, and shows for the past 6 months we believe that a Fifth Wheel is the best option for our family. To be more specific we really like the Grand Design 28BH. Now here is the question.

We came down to 3 different offers but I need help because all three options look very good but I'm not sure if it's better going with something new or used. PLEASE HELP!! And please forgive me for the long post:

1st option USED 2017 GD 28BH - Private Seller - 1 hours from home
-Comes with 2 a/c units
-12 Cu refrigerator
-Transferable 7-year extended warranty through Cornerstone RV
-Transferable extended warranty for tire and wheel
-The RV received a roof laceration across the entrance side roof when he was backing up. He took the camper to a Grand Design dealer and they replaced the entire roof professionally with a rubber roof.
-They are selling for 35,000.00 (they are willing to go a little lower if we ask)

2nd option USED 2018 GD 28BH - Private Seller - 12 hours from home
-Comes with 2 a/c units
-12 Cu refrigerator
-Transferable 5-year extended warranty through USA Travel Care
-Transferable 5-year extended warranty EcoRVPro
-Transferable 5-year extended warranty multi-seal
-Underglo Lighting
-Backup Lights
-2 MaxxAir II vent covers
-Fantastic Fan Vent Cover
-Vortex Fan in bathroom
-Bug shields on appliance vents
-TPMS
-2 extra sewer tubes
-Rearview observation camera
-They said the total cost for all the extras was 4,400 including the warranties
-I did not see the camper in person but it seems like the owner took really good care of the camper
-They are selling for 38,000.00

3rd option NEW 2018 GD 28BH - GD Dealer - 3 hours from home
-Comes with 1 a/c unit
-12 Cu refrigerator
-They are selling for 37,500.00 (they might bring the price down if I ask)

I suggest looking at all three of them seriously and picking the one with the floorplan you like the best. Nothing is more important than floorplan with an RV. Basically there is nothing you can do to change a floorplan so you better get it right right off the bat. Everything else can be changed but not the floorplan.

The three campers have the same floorplan. The difference is the 1st is a 2017 used, 2nd is a 2018 used and 3rd is a 2018 new. I don't have the truck yet but I'm thinking about getting a F-250 or GMC 2500.

I didn't even notice they were all the same unit. In that case I would get used 2017. It should have all the issues worked out and be ready to camp.

Have you researched RV parks in the San Jose area? The Santa Clara County Fairground has an RV park, but I don't know if they allow long term stays. It's been a while since I looked, but I believe there are a couple of private RV parks south of San Jose (one is in Gilroy). If you go north, the Alameda County fairground (in Pleasanton) also has an RV park.

X2 what Tom said.  Unless you are able to live on your new church's property, research availability of RV parks very carefully.  You cannot park on the street in most parts of San Jose. 

According to city code, you are only allowed to park on the street for 3 days. There are several campgrounds in Morgan Hill south of San Jose. If you are an Elk member, there is an Elks Lodge in San Jose. Not sure if any of these allow long term camping.

Thank you everyone for all the replies! We?re living at a full time rv park paying monthly rent. By the law in CA we have to be at a place that is licensed by the state to have full time rv living to be able to enroll our son at a public school in CA.

I'm usually the first to say, take the slightly used one, the bugs will be worked out.  However, you might get the best financing option with the new unit.

You did not say but are you going to tow this unit to the new location?? If so, what vehicle are you going to use? Remember, when talking 5th wheel trailers NOT all trucks are up to that.

I'm going to reiterate what others have already said here.... please research towing in that thread and the library! 

Towing is seriously hard on your tow vehicle and can be dangerous if you don't have the right one for the load you are towing... "match your tow vehicle to your travel trailer"
There is no "one size fits all" answer to this combo, so do your research before you buy either!!

Sounds like a great adventure for you and your family.
I would personally go with the 2017, but that's me... I like others to work the "bugs" out of NEW and absorb the "drive off the lot depreciation" .... lol

How is it possible for a new/2018 to cost less than a used 2018??  Btw; other than (possibly) the rear camera, none the 'adds' to the used 2018 are significant.  Either the new is massively discounted or the private seller is very optimistic.

The 2nd A/C on both of the used units is worth having - depending on where you plan to be.

I'm planning on getting a F-250 or GMC 2500. I also have a friend that is helping me with all of the towing numbers to make sure I get the right truck with the right towing capabilities to tow the trailer we're purchasing.

Thank you for all the thoughts and ideas everyone is giving. Today my wife and I are going to another RV show and I'm hoping to be our last until we make our final decision on our first trailer purchase.

tomberlin said:
I'm planning on getting a F-250 or GMC 2500. I also have a friend that is helping me with all of the towing numbers to make sure I get the right truck with the right towing capabilities to tow the trailer we're purchasing.

This capability can vary greatly within either the 2500 or F250 families, so it would be very wise to do all the necessary calculations before making any a final decision on what you need or will purchase.

Just left the San Francisco Bay area.  We were there for 4 of the last 5 months.  If you haven't already done so, you need to check the availability and rates for RV parks in the area.  The park we were at is  30 miles North or San Jose.  The monthly rates are $1400 to $2000 plus electric.  We were parked in the newer area and paid $1800 plus electric.  The park also will not allow anyone to stay for more than 7 months.  Keep that in mind when checking any of the parks.  It might have been a local issue, but at least check.   

We looked for a park in the San Jose area and nothing was available.  At least not where we would consider staying.  If you find a place South of San Jose, keep in mind, traffic on the 101 will be heavy for both morning and evening commutes. 

You state you ARE now living in a Fulltime RV Park.  "..... We?re living at a full time rv park paying monthly rent. By the law in CA we have to be at a place that is licensed by the state to have full time rv living to be able to enroll our son at a public school in CA. ....". You need to move from there??

Before you commit to an RV or a tow vehicle, it is really, really important that you know for sure where you will be able to stay in the San Jose area.  This could very well be your toughest problem to solve as Tom, Gary and I have tried to warn.
Margi

We have a spot that will be available for us by next month. We already sent our application and got approved and giving a time to move in and bring our trailer and be set for as long as we want. Some people have been there for over 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom