My first boondocked weekend - more than i bargained for...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddieb02

2009 Sprit of America 30rls delivered on Sat:

Initial problem was leveling the fker - it's really heavy and my 2 ton jack wouldnt do the job - its still not completely level but pretty close (sitting on dirt, so not a solid base by any means).

My next issue was filling up the water tank, which as far as design goes - sucks. i had to buy a plastic funnel that could bend to the angle to pour in water i brought from offsite into the fresh water tank. (very heavy containers which I had to lift over my head and pour in the fresh tank with a flexible funnel).

Fridge - took 8 hrs to get cool enough (off propane use). i turned it off at the end of the weekend, but after some search i realized that the fridge uses very little propane, so i can probably leave it on 24/7 and not use much propane.

Hot water was not an issue, i took cold showers and i was impressed at how refreshing and easy it was to take a "normal shower"

Toilet use, my GF and i only did number 1, and we had no issues - but i am a little concerned about number 2 and smell issues.
- also the black water tank fills up very quickly, while the gray water tank much be much bigger.

Generator to run the A/C - was very loud but well worth it, it was ice cold inside - so cold that i had to get up in the middle of the night and turn off the generator, which sucked - i would love to have a remote generator.

It poured on monday and there were no noticeable leaks, except for a small drip on exterior door, which was weird but it just ran down the side and back out, so it shouldnt be an issue. i was concerned since it wasnt completely level that the power slide would have some gaps.

Bugs - the camper is not as tight as i would have liked, i think the slide leaves a lot of gaps and crevasse that allow a lot of ants to make their way in. it was parked for 2 days and i had them all over the place - i bought ant killer spray and sprayed the outside - any tips would be appreciated...

Disposal of waste: this was by far the worse part. at the end of the weekend as we are getting ready to leave i had to put on latex gloves and connect the sewer hose to a tote tank and haul off the black and grey water (which did stink, something awful). i lugged the tote tank about 300 feet away and dumped it (on my land). here is where i wish i had a hose to spray down everything, but instead i had to just rinse it the best i could with cups of water from the sink.

all in all the experience was not great because of the execution issues i had: my battery was dead and i had to go buy a new one - the fridge took 8 hours to get cool. the generator needed a special adapter to hook up to the camper that i was not aware of.

i hope my next experience will be better and that i can find away to seal the gaps and keep ants from overtaking the camper.

Sounds like a good first trip.  Here are a couple of suggestions:

1.  Leveling - use blocks under the tires; don't try to use jacks. 

2.  Water tank - fill it with the garden hose before you leave home.

3.  We use our fridge on propane, but always turn it on the day before we need to use it.  It doesn't use hardly any propane so this isn't a problem.

4.  Do you have a hot water heater?

5.  We use our toilet for all normal functions, without negative issues.  Sounds like you have a small black tank. 

6.  Generator/air conditioning - does your a/c have a thermostat?  Or an off-switch? 

7.  Bugs - when we got our m/h it had ants already in it.  We placed about ten of the "ant traps" around the unit.  These are the small ones, about the size of a tin of chewing tabacco, that you can buy in the grocery store.  Took about three or four months to get rid of all the ants.  Have had no problem for about a year now.

8.  Waste disposal/emptying the tanks - you might want to bring it to a dump station for this.  Much easier, cleaner, and better than dumping waste above ground. 

9.  Batteries - does your generator charge the house battery when you have it hooked up?  This could solve your dead battery issue.

Hope you keep camping.  A lot of the hassle will get to be routine, and won't seem so bad after a while.

Classic greenhorn,,you will learn,, how long it takes,,,,,depends.>>>Dan (stick around here,, it will speed up the process)

1.  Levelling a trailer with jacks is not good for the trailer frame.  .  Jacks should be used for stabilizing only and just snubbed up as opposed to bearing significant weight.  Use leveling blocks.  RV supply stores sell plastic blocks just for this purpose.  Leveling only needs to be approximate -- within 3? fore and aft, 6? side to side. 

2.  Buy a potable (white) water hose and fill the fresh water tank before leaving home.

3.  Cool down your fridge before starting out and leave it running for the whole trip.  The use of propane is almost trivial.

4.  Hey, if you are into cold showers, great.  Most of us use the hot water heater.

5.  In my experience, a 40 gallon black water tank can last 2 adults about 5 to 6 days.    A properly vented black tank will not be a source of noxious odors -- without the use of any chemicals.  The system is designed to handle toilet paper and fecal matter.

Disposal of waste: this was by far the worse part. at the end of the weekend as we are getting ready to leave i had to put on latex gloves and connect the sewer hose to a tote tank and haul off the black and grey water (which did stink, something awful). i lugged the tote tank about 300 feet away and dumped it (on my land). here is where i wish i had a hose to spray down everything, but instead i had to just rinse it the best i could with cups of water from the sink.

Do not ever do that again -- your land or not!  :eek:    It is both nasty and against the law.  There are far safer and sanitary procedures for dumping wastewater tanks, gray or black.  One way is to locate a nearby dump station.  You can find those at a number of places -- campgrounds, RV service agencies and stores, Flying J truck stops, state or county sites, etc.  Another way is to use the sewer cleanout on your own property when you get home.  If things are reallly complicated, there are macerator pump systems that allow you to pump the sewage thru a 3/4 inch hose a considerable distance.

I should have been more clear:

The travel trailer is stationed on my land while i am building a home. it is not traveling with me - so i am not able to drive it around.

I did level it under the tires and just ued jacks to stabalize it, the problem is i couldnt get it high enough to be 100% level. i learned my lesson with the stabalizer jacks bc i over did it and one of the doors wouldnt open.

The bother has to do mainly with supplying the camper with water and disposing of the waste. i am able to fill the fresh water tank now that i have the method down.

I do have a hot water heater, but i didnt turn it on bc its not nec right now.

The generator does charge the battery but i guess my battery was beyond dead.

Thanks for the tip on ant control. the camper has a bunch of rodent traps / posion and small ant traps, hopefully these work, but i just sprayed around the camper just in case since i noticed a lot of them coming in.

As far as generator goes i think i need to upgrade to a powerhouse 3100 which has a remote and will hopefully be less noisy

THE WASTE DISPOSAL ISSUE: i dont understand why its a big deal if i dig a hole and dump the grey and black water (which is all liquid) into a hole. i used a special soap, safe for camp grounds and doesnt the wildlife sht in the woods? what is the difference between what i did and taking a piss on a near by tree?

You were on your own land? If this is something you plan on doing a lot Maybe bury a 55 gal drum and make a septic tank. It's not the best but it will work. We did it for a hunting cabin and have used it for years. A plastic drum and 50 foot of drain pipe.  My slide only has gaps when I'm not level.

For the tank I use RID-X its biodegradalbe and will help get good stuff into the tank to break things down.

THE WASTE DISPOSAL ISSUE: i dont understand why its a big deal if i dig a hole and dump the grey and black water (which is all liquid) into a hole. i used a special soap, safe for camp grounds and doesnt the wildlife sht in the woods? what is the difference between what i did and taking a piss on a near by tree?

The original post did not indicate to me that you were on a fixed site and I assumed you were traveling to and from a campsite.  In your case, Mike's suggestion is not a bad idea.  Dig a cesspool, cover it, and route a line to it from a macerator pump on the trailer.  Here is an example of a macerator pump:  http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/flojet-rv-waste-pump-kit/26125

Are you building the home on the same parcel of land?  If so, it would be simple to extend the house sewer and water supply plumbing to the trailer site and kiss the problems goodbye. 

Thanks for the help, yes the building site will be on the same land - however the septic system is far from being built so i need a solution in the mean time. i figure a decent hole will be just fine, as long as it is far enough from the site and where i plan to dig a well.

The camp sites and dumping sites near me want $20 per trip to dispose of the waste - what a total joke, not to mention i find it more disurbing to have the portable bin full of waste in the car - rather find a place on my 5 acres to dump.

Has the location of your well and septic system been established?  If not I would get that done ASAP so that you know the direction of flow of the underground water and can dump appropriately.

Interesting in how some of the wells and septic systems are located in subdivisions near ours.  Basically my well and septic system are on a line where you would think the septic would flow to the well but the subsurface flow is such that that can't happen due to the local river and the slope of the valley.

Old outhouses, a hole was dug and after several uses you would put a good layer of dirt and keep using it. when the hole was full you would dig another hole and slide the out house over the new hole. I guess you could do it like that but without the out house. the layer of dirt would do away with any smell. And if it did start to smell add some lime to the hole

If the ants are the small black variety there is a liquid called Terro that works great.  You just put a few drops around where their trails are and they track it back to the hill and kill it off. 

A crude septic tank as Mike describes is easy to do and work well for light use. I've installed several in remote campsites, where local laws permit septic systems.

Mikes idea would indeed be the way to go.  However, Jim Godward's caution about siting the tank is worth heeding.  If you intend a well on the site, you do not want to contaminate the aquifer with a poor location.

Back
Top Bottom