My First Diesel Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan Walters

Last year I sold my Motorhome and bought a 32 foot travel trailer.  We used it several times and enjoyed it, but we just didn't like it as well as a motorhome.  Well, as fate would have it, my son, who is a survey crew chief working for a pipeline construction company, needed a travel trailer to live in while out working on the pipeline.  I let him take mine to use for a couple of months.  That turned into 6 months and left us not having an RV to use through the summer, not that we could have used it anyway due to my wife's accident and surgery (another story).  But now we have been missing going in the RV so much we decided to make my son an offer to buy the travel trailer, which he was thrilled to do (maybe that's why he kept it so long :eek:).  Anyway, my wife and I started looking at motorhomes again because we just liked the motorhomes we've owned better than the travel trailer.

We started out looking at Class A Gasser's since that is what we owned in the past (1984 Allegro and 1998 Allegro).  We were shopping at PPL Motorhomes in Houston, a consignment dealer, who sells lots of motorhomes.  We had looked at about 15 Gasser's and just couldn't seem to find one that suited us when we spotted this American Dream diesel coach.  My wife said "Let's just go in and look at this one before we go".  Well, she fell in love with it which surprised and thrilled me and as we were sitting in it talking about it a couple came up to the door and looked in.  My wife told them we were almost through and about to go back up to the office when he said that they were the owners of the coach and saw us looking at it and wanted to tell us about it.  It seems that they bought the coach new and were looking to get a newer used coach.  That was the first day it was out on the lot for sale and they wanted to see it one last time.  He said he had always kept the coach inside and kept the maintenance up to date since it was new.  He told us a lot about the coach and we enjoyed visiting with them and hearing about the coach first hand from the original owner.

Well, we ended up making the deal on the coach and will pick it up later this week, so we are the proud owners of our first diesel pusher.  My wife and I are both like kids waiting for Christmas to get here.  I'll probably need a lot of help since this my first time owning a diesel and a coach this large, but I know you guys and gals are always willing to lend a helping hand, so thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG-20110916-00038.jpg
    IMG-20110916-00038.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 304
Welcome back, Dan
I don't think you could have made a better choice.

Congratulations Dan. The American Dream is a beautiful coach.

Contratulations on the new to you coach.  If you were going to get into a DP then you picked a good one to get into.  Those are nice coaches.

Mike.

Congratulations - you will live the Dream!  We have another 2000 American Dream owner on this forum (Jim Dick), so some expert help ought to be readily available.

Congrats.  I to just bought my first diesel pusher.  First thing I learned was that since the radiator is behind the engine, and the rear tires, the inside of the radiator clogs up, and you have to wash it off.  Mine is not easy to get to by any means and a power washer can damage the fins on the radiator. 

I spent 1/2 a day cleaning it up, and wondering how long it will be before I have to do that again. 

Previous motor home was a gas job, and I find that I have so much more power now, as well as stopping ability (air brakes), as well as more room inside, that I just love the thing, having to wash the radiator and all. 

Enjoy. 

Welcome to the diesel side. You'll enjoy the power, ride, and quietness.

Dan,
Your 2000 dream has a side radiator with a Cummins engine (vs a radiator behind the engine). You should not have much of an issue with the radiator. I had a 2000 Monaco Windsor with the same setup and only cleaned the radiator after going through really bad and construction area. Maybe I cleaned it 4 times in 10 years and it is fairly easy. I ran a 94 side radiator diesel for 86,000 miles and only cleaned the radiator once - after coming back from Alaska.

That said you should crawl under and inspect it periodically for dirt.

ken

Thanks everyone for the congratulations and encouragement.  Gary, thanks, I'm sure I'll need some help and I have seen many posts from Jim about his 2000 American Dream and I know he is always willing to lend his expertise.  Robert and Ken, thanks for the info about the radiator.  When I was looking at it I noticed that it had a side mounted radiator, which I was glad to see.  I will check it to make sure it is clean before we go on our first trip. 

Many of you commented on the quiet, smooth ride and the power of a diesel.  When I test drove it I was a bit nervous because it is so much bigger than the other 2 Class A gas coaches that we owned before, but after I got behind the wheel and on the road I think it was much easier to drive than my front engine coaches were, and the quiet, smooth ride was amazing.  The diesel seemed to have plenty of power to move the big coach easily.  Both of my other coaches were built on the old Chevrolet P-30 truck chassis with the 454 engine and sometimes it was like wrestling a bear to drive them, especially in crosswinds or on an uneven road surface.  This coach tips the scales at 29,000 pounds which is more than twice the weight of my last coach so I guess it makes sense that it rides better and is more stable in windy conditions.

I can't wait to get it later this week and may have to take a trip in it pretty soon if all goes well.  I think I'm going to have to make a trip to Florida sometime in the next month or two and was planning to fly, but this may change that if time permits. ;D

WOW!! Love those American Coaches!! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!! :) :) :)

Dan

As I told you elsewhere, you have a great coach on a great chassis. If you are planning on being in the northern IN, southern MI area next spring/summer, maybe visiting Decatur for factory service, think about joining the Spartan Chassis chapter of FMCA and signing up for the annual Homecoming rally, probably around the first week in June at the factory in Charlotte, MI (20 miles SW of Lansing). The 44 point inspection is about the most thorough checkout of your chassis possible.

Dan,

I will be happy to answer any questions you have about your new coach! We love our 2000 American Dream. It, most likely, will be our last coach and I expect it will perform well in the coming years. We have about 80,000 miles on it now and it still gives us great performance. It appears you have the same color scheme as ours!! ;D

Thanks Bernie for that info on the Spartin Chassis Chapter of FMCA and the 44 point inspection.  That's something I may try to schedule for next year. 

Jim, thanks for the offer to answer my questions.  I'm sure I will have some once I get it and start using it.  I looked at the picture of your coach on this site and it does indeed appear to be the same color scheme.  My coach has only 35,000 miles on it so it's barely broken in. 

PPL has a pre-delivery check out and demonstration service that I got to make sure everything was working properly.  They called me yesterday and said there were only a few minor things that needed attention and that they are contacting the owner to get authorization to do the repairs.  Hopefully they will be done with that by the end of the week and I can go pick it up.

I asked them if they would sell the motorcycle lift for me and they are looking into that as well.

Dan

Dan,

Yours is far from broken in. Ours is just getting there! ;D ;D ;D We had some problems on this trip but one should expect that after 80,000 miles and almost 12 years of travel.

Dan

Jim is so right. I turned 113,000 miles this summer and I feel that it just got broken in, getting better fuel mileage and power than ever.

Well, I'm gonna try to finish breaking it in then since I hope to keep it for many years to come.  I appreciate that testament to the longevity of a diesel motorhome.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom