My GFCI won't reset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marty G

If/when I have shore, or generator, 120VAC power AND either of the 2 "Output Breakers" on the face panel of my Heart Freedom 20 inverter/charger TRIP... some of the receptacles in my coach, (including some of the GFCI receptacles which will not reset without power) lose power/go dead.

Start at the GFI breaker. You need 120 volts out. The wire WILL go to the GFI in the bathroom. No need to trace wires. Check the voltage of the INPUT side of the gfi outlet. Black and white from the breaker are a pair. Voltage in. The outlet will not reset without 120 volts present. If it trips again remove the out going pair of wires and try again. If it holds then the problem is down stream of the outlet. Follow Gary's instructions on meter use.

MartyB said:
I have a multi meter.  With less than basic knowledge.
When I touch the meter to the wires I get really low numbers.  Not zero, but just weird / nonsensical.  That  gives me the courage to touch them.  They are not working.

With a digital meter, what you describe is called "phantom voltage."  It doesn't really exist.  It's just the nature of high impedance meters.  Put you meter probes into a known working  receptacle and see what a "good" reading is.  Should be solid 120V.  If you aren't seeing that same reading on the line side of your GFI, you have a breaker or wiring problem ahead of the GFI.  On a receptacle, the large vertical hole is neutral (white wire), the smaller one is hot (black wire) and the round one is ground.  You should read 120V hot to neutral and hot to ground.  Ground to neutral should be close to zero.

Well guys,  with your help I have been able to get most of it going again.  A couple phrases here and there and some you tube videos and it is going together.
For the most part, I'm gonna blame it on the crappy RV outlets.  We had a VERY rough drive through Detroit coming back from Texas.  I Believe the receptacles were jarred too much, combined with the draw from the heater.  (that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)  I am replacing them with household receptacles now.
However, my island receptacle has croaked.  It is on a different circuit.
Back to the drawing board.

MartyB said:
Well guys,  with your help I have been able to get most of it going again.  A couple phrases here and there and some you tube videos and it is going together.
For the most part, I'm gonna blame it on the crappy RV outlets.  We had a VERY rough drive through Detroit coming back from Texas.  I Believe the receptacles were jarred too much, combined with the draw from the heater.  (that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)  I am replacing them with household receptacles now.

Yep. you have 2 GFI circuits in your rig. Happy hunting.

AND..............
The final piece comes together.  I took apart the two rear most outlets.  They would get the most abuse going over bumps on the road and such.  That was it for the island outlet. 
I AM ALL DONE........EXCEPT
My grey water tank started leaking last week as well.

That is another chapter.

Thanks for all your input gang.  I owe you one.

MartyB said:

I would blame the heater more than Detroit roads. but  if the screws are loose in the breaker box..  then Detroit Roads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reggiejay1591
Back
Top Bottom