Myers trip to Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joelmyer

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Posts
1,057
Location
Georgia
We're on our way!

Left home 5/31.  Spent a couple of delightful days with the Revis' in NC.

We're at Bull Run Regional Park in Centerville VA painting on our renter house.

Plan to leave here 6/17, or sooner if we get done, and head west.

Shades of Joe Lacey - had my first black water os.  Dumped coming in to Bull Run since they are electric only.  Hooked up, pulled the handle, and the hose fell off the fitting!  os!!

Actually not too bad since they had a concrete trough and running water.

Morale of that story: Throw away the smooth sided fitting that came with the sewer hose & go buy one with ribs.
 

Tom

Administrator
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Posts
48,458
Sounds like we have a Joe Lacey II in the making  :)
 

Jim Godward

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Posts
5,906
Location
Hillsboro, Oregon
Joel,

Don't know what your schedue is but we leave on the 16th and should be back in Belgrade about July 10.  Drop by if you are in the area.  Parking in drive with W/E, dump about 3 miles away.

Diesel is down to $2.179 today.  :-((

Pat & Jim
 

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Posts
18,082
Location
Home is where we park it
joelmyer said:
We're on our way!

Left home 5/31.? Spent a couple of delightful days with the Revis' in NC.

We're at Bull Run Regional Park in Centerville VA painting on our renter house.

Plan to leave here 6/17, or sooner if we get done, and head west.

Shades of Joe Lacey - had my first black water os.? Dumped coming in to Bull Run since they are electric only.? Hooked up, pulled the handle, and the hose fell off the fitting!? os!!

Actually not too bad since they had a concrete trough and running water.

Morale of that story: Throw away the smooth sided fitting that came with the sewer hose & go buy one with ribs.

You are welcome to stop by Sam's Camp in Lewistown, Mt.  We have a full hookup site available.  We will be back in Sam's Camp around 5 july.
 

joelmyer

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Posts
1,057
Location
Georgia
James Godward said:
Joel,

Don't know what your schedue is but we leave on the 16th and should be back in Belgrade about July 10.  Drop by if you are in the area.  Parking in drive with W/E, dump about 3 miles away.

Diesel is down to $2.179 today.  :-((

Pat & Jim

Jim,

Sounds great.  Last I knew didn't seem like you would be back when we came through.  We'll have to rearrange a few things but plans are made to be changed.  A couple of nights right after the Yellowstone Rally?

http://joelmyers.net/Attach/sum05itin.htm
 

joelmyer

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Posts
1,057
Location
Georgia
Ron said:
You are welcome to stop by Sam's Camp in Lewistown, Mt.  We have a full hookup site available.  We will be back in Sam's Camp around 5 july.

We're planning on it!  July 22-23?
 

Jim Godward

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Posts
5,906
Location
Hillsboro, Oregon
Joel,

>>A couple of nights right after the Yellowstone Rally?<<

I'm not sure when the Yellowstone rally ends but we will not promise to be back before the 10th!!  BG

Jim
 

joelmyer

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Posts
1,057
Location
Georgia
James Godward said:
Joel,

>>A couple of nights right after the Yellowstone Rally?<<

I'm not sure when the Yellowstone rally ends but we will not promise to be back before the 10th!!  BG

Jim

Jim,

The rally ends the 10th so that would be pushing it for you.  We won't change any reservations yet and will play it by ear.

Our plan was to go up north of Helena stopping briefly at Missouria Headwaters Lewis and Clark Caverns; spend a couple of nights there and do Gates of the Mountain, then head for West Glacier.
 

joelmyer

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Posts
1,057
Location
Georgia
camper1b said:
Have a good trip, Joel.  We will see you at Glacier and Custer.

Thanks Rich

I better go look underneath my Sunnybrook before we leave here.  The DC area is miserable.  We're making progress on the renter house but I'm not optomistic about getting away from here early.
 

Jim Godward

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Posts
5,906
Location
Hillsboro, Oregon
Joel,

>>The rally ends the 10th so that would be pushing it for you.  We won't change any reservations yet and will play it by ear.<<

Keep in touch and we will let you know if we get home early.  I know we would like to make church on the 10th but that is not locked in concrete!!

You should be sure to check out Great Falls and the Lewis and Clark Interpretive center there.

Regards,

Jim
 

joelmyer

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Posts
1,057
Location
Georgia
Just an update: We're in Sheridan, WY for a couple of nights then Cody for a few, arriving Yellowstone on July 2nd.
 

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Posts
18,082
Location
Home is where we park it
If you are in Sheridan, WY highway 14 across to Lovell may be very tempting.  I strongly recommend avoiding highway 14 with an RV.  That road is severe enough they have a huge billboard sign near Burgess Junction that is mandatory reading for Trucks, MH, and trailer drivers.  It warns you if you proceed straight of the steep downhill grades and curves that are found on "OH MY GOD HILL"  The second choice is to turn left at Burgess Junction and go down Schell canyon where the grades are only 10%.  Beautiful drive but only in a small vehicle.

Highway 16 out of Buffalo is an acceptable route.

 

joelmyer

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Posts
1,057
Location
Georgia
Ron said:
they have a huge billboard sign near Burgess Junction that is mandatory reading for Trucks, MH, and trailer drivers.

Highway 16 out of Buffalo is an acceptable route.

This sign? (attached)

Think I'll take 16.

We saw several rvs up there today, but I don't think it would be an enjoyable drive in one.

The Big Horn are beautiful!
 

Attachments

  • 08_sign.jpg
    08_sign.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 35

BruceinFL

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Posts
3,205
joelmyer said:
Just an update: We're in Sheridan, WY for a couple of nights then Cody for a few, arriving Yellowstone on July 2nd.

Joel,
Cody is great. Take one day to drive over the Chief Joseph Hwy and then up the Beartooth to Beartooth Pass and back to Cody, or if you have time, in the park thru the northeast gate and into the  Lamar Valley for a while and then back to Cody. Stop in the Cooke City General Store in Cooke City if you have time. Don't forget, the East gate is closed from 8:00pm-8:00am. All the other gates are open 24 hrs. In Cody, if you like a neat hike, head towards Buffalo Bill Dam. On the right, you will see a turnoff and a bridge over the river. If you park there you can walk almost all the way along the Shoshone River to the bottom of the dam and back. There will be gates over the road but they're only for cars. The trolley tour of Cody is neat too. You can catch the free gunfight at the Hotel Irma at 6:00pm and then get on the trolley there at 6:30pm. Of course there's the museum. You can do it in a day and a half. Across the street from the museum parking lot towards the Ponderosa CG, is a wild sheep display...free. The rodeo is nightly at 8:30pm. Another neat ride is to turn out of the Ponderosa towards Yellowstone. Down the road towards Wally World, there will be a turnoff to the left for the south fork road which goes on the south side of Buffalo Bill Res. It's 40 miles to the end but a good place to see wildlife at dusk or early in the am. And, if that's not enough, thay have a really nice golf course. See why we stayed a week there?

If you are heading to W. Yellowstone, the going will be slow. Besides the delay for the construction inside the East Gate, the park is loaded with people. Get an early start out of Cody to beat most of it. But it will still be slow...people just stop in the middle of the road to gawk at animals and stuff instead of pulling off or using the turnouts. Speed limit iside the park is 45 mph most places but you will probably average about 30 mph.

Lessee, food. In Cody, plenty of places but we liked Maxwells. Ate at the Mayor's Inn one night, but they're only open for dinner Fri & Sat. Hotel Irma has good food and a great saloon. In W. Yellowstone, we had an elk medallion dinner at Bullwinkles. Was $27 but a huge meal. Enough for two so you can split it. Buckaroo Bill's has buffalo and elk burgers plus they have barbecued buffalo ribs for dinner. Another place for dinner is Rustlers Roost...not too many tourists there, mostly locals. Best diesel price in W. Yellowstone is at the Sinclair at the corner of Madison and Electric..$2.449 today. Best price food store in town is the Food Roundup on Dunraven between Firehole and Madison.
Have fun

 

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Posts
18,082
Location
Home is where we park it
joelmyer said:
This sign? (attached)

Think I'll take 16.

We saw several RVs up there today, but I don't think it would be an enjoyable drive in one.

The Big Horn are beautiful!

That is the one.

Joel good choice.  I hope you enjoyed the ride in the pickup.  Yes we took the 88 Bounder over that road ONCE.  I hadn't been that route for a long time and got a little mixed up on which road was better to take with the motorhome. You will see RV/s up there once in awhile but it is a pretty good bet you won't see the same folks there twice in their RV.  We have even seen a RV setting on the side going up the east side with a blown transmission,

Like I said before a beautiful drive in a smaller vehicle.  Did you see any moose while you were up there?

I think you will enjoy and appreciate highway 16 more when pulling.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
117,329
Posts
1,175,388
Members
121,545
Latest member
Steve in Allentown
Top Bottom