Need advice on rotten cable slide out wall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lennyp

I just bought my first 5th wheel to live in full time . So I know I was getting this camper cheap because of water damage. I was ok with it until I got it home. 2013 forest river cardinal 3800fl it has the 2 front slides for the living room . Those 2 slides are the cable system with one electric motor on the tops of the slide. The wall above the slide is rotton so severe I can put my hand threw it. I really need this to be my house it was every dollar that o have. I would assume that if I put them out it will rip right out of the side of the camper???? ....please tell me I am wrong ....or if there is anything i can do as far as supports. They would have to be very tall because these slides are way up there.....or maybe put a wood framing system under it??? I really would like some help thank you !!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221109-210530_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20221109-210530_Messages.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20221109-210521_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20221109-210521_Messages.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 25
It doesn't look good but we really don't have much information to base a response on. I would think that the slide mechinism would be attached to a frame member in the wall but that is only a guess. Even if you should get the slide out you need to repair the existing damage and make it water tight. One rot has begun it will continue to get worse as long as it is not repaired, even without further leakage. If the slides were out when you bought it they should go back out now. Is this what you have?
1668087295456.png

Yes that looks like mine. And I got it at an auction so I have not seen the slides out . It sat for a few years .....there is a electric motor and cables above the slide and under the slide it has a plastic guide system I guess to protect the wires ......so I did just get some good news . I learned that the cables are just to push and pull. And the support comes from iron bars underneath. So I do realize allot needs to be fixed but I think that supporting the weight of the slide and couch with people on it will be ok ? ......I can't even figure out the shore power and 12v power system yet to even try . The shore power alone will not work for the slides correct. I thought that if I hooked up the dead battery that the system will work and charge the battery. However if the battery is dead dead is that not the case?? Thank you so much!

The shore power alone will not work for the slides correct.
The shore power should be 120V and you probably have a 50a plug that looks like this? There are adapters to connect to other outlets but you get less power.
1668134131833.png 1668134345717.png
The slides use 12V powr from the battery and/or the 120V to 12V converter.

I thought that if I hooked up the dead battery that the system will work and charge the battery.
There is a converter that will charge up the battery if the battery is in good condition and if the converter is working. It should have a 70a converter according to the specs that I found online but it would take several hours and the battery needs to be in good condition and have proper levels of electrolyte. If the battery is dead but the interior light work you do have a working converter as the lights are 12V, as are most of the appliances. Outlets, microwave, and TV are pobably 120V and also the air conditioners.
However if the battery is dead dead is that not the case?
I would suspect that the battery has failed. Sitting for a long time is bad for the battery and if original it would be unlikely to still be good. I would pull the battery out and take it to a battery seller and ask them to load test it. They won't charge you for that and you should replace it with a quality, deep cycle battery.

I just bought my first 5th wheel to live in full time . So I know I was getting this camper cheap because of water damage. I was ok with it until I got it home. 2013 forest river cardinal 3800fl it has the 2 front slides for the living room . Those 2 slides are the cable system with one electric motor on the tops of the slide. The wall above the slide is rotton so severe I can put my hand threw it. I really need this to be my house it was every dollar that o have. I would assume that if I put them out it will rip right out of the side of the camper???? ....please tell me I am wrong ....or if there is anything i can do as far as supports. They would have to be very tall because these slides are way up there.....or maybe put a wood framing system under it??? I really would like some help thank you !!
<snipped>

I stand corrected. You did mention the water damage in for sale post. I apologize.

I'd say you need to dig in and find out how bad it is. THEN you will know what you need to do.
But I'm going to tell you Unless you are really good at DIY. sounds expensive.
Oh I'd work from INSIDE. don't break the skin (outside) less you have to.

And find the leak.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom