Need Hard wired internet.. help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SanDiegoRob

I recently accepted a job offer that will require me to have a "hard wired" internet connection for data submittal. I can not get this service here at Santee lakes RV park. Do any parks offer this service? Maybe via the cable tv lines? Any advice will be appreciated. Not sure what to do about this. ???

Some parks offer a hard wired connection, including a version of DSL. WiFi will probably be more prevalent, but that obviously won't satisfy the requirement to be "hard wired". Would satellite internet also be taboo?

Will you be traveling, or at a fixed location? If fixed, you could possibly have cable &/or DSL installed at your site.

Hopefully, others will chime in with their experience in this area.

Hardwired means ethernet via cable.  I suspect they're concerned about the security of any wireless connections, such as WiFi, cellular, and satellite.  Of course, if they used a VPN any connection (except satellite) would be secure and open up many more possibilities.  And a hardwired connection really isn't any more secure than a wireless one, unless you control the entire circuit from end to end.  Don't have that even with DSL or cable.

Thanks for the info. I am not sure the exact reasoning yet- I am looking into it. I think that there could be issues with lost connections while uploading large files etc. My WiFi seems to be somewhat reliable. And security should not be the main concern if Ned is correct regarding WiFi vs. hard wired in that sense...

File transfers should not be a problem using FTP with the server configured to allow restarts.  For security purposes, SFTP should be the protocol if the data is at all sensitive.  Or HTTPS could be used to transfer files securely over any type of link.  If your company is relying on you finding secure wired access, that won't happen :)  Security is the responsibility of the servers you connect with.

We have a friend who is a freelance loan officer and works for a number of different banks. Just a few years ago, she wasn't able to use any kind of wireless connection for any of her transactions. That changed in the last 1-2 years and she's been able to do most of her stuff via an air card.

We were recently at the Palm Springs Oasis RV resort in Catheral City, CA and they offered hardwired DSL internet to their long term campers.  We have motosat on our motorhome so we didn't check into it any further.

How is the Santee RV park?  The last time we were there they were putting in the new section and we have not been there since.  Is it nice?  We used to live in Bonsall near Fallbrook; but have since moved to central California.

Marsha~

Usually a park that offers telephone hook-ups at the site could accommodate DSL as well. Of course, that implies a longer term rental - you can't get a wired phone/DSL hook-up overnight or even for a few nights.  Some parks with cable tv may also be able to allow you to get cable internet over their lines. Depends on whether the park cable is from the local cable company or is merely a community antenna shared via coax. Again, this is a service you would have to pay to have set up at your site and would generally be feasible only for longer term stays.

pardon the silly question, but does DSL run over a standard phone line? I am here long term, so that may be feasible. Otherwise, the cable lines are just a community antenna supplied through direct tv, and I was told it could not accomodate internet.

Marsha- The Santee Lakes park is very nice. I have enjoyed the last few months here. The park staff is very friendly, and the grounds are kept up nicely. The trout fishing has been good too! My site is close to the water, so in combination with our weather here, I really cant complain. If you are ever passing through, I highly recommend checking it out. Very reasonable rates too.

You'll need to talk to the phone company. A DSL hookup requires that you be within a given distance of the central office and that the phone company can certify/guarantee the quality of the line. If the line isn't good enough, they' might run a new one for you, provided you meet the distance criteria.

IIRC I was able to check DSL availability with the phone company online. I was too far away from the C.O. and went with cable.

Some truck stops have hard wired, Some (I STRESS SOME) parks have hard wired, and they might consider a Hughes or I-Direct account to be hard wired (Since Wi-Fi hackers are not able to hack into them)

You will have to check with your employer on that

Else it's gonna be dial up if you are out and about.

But ask the employer about Hughes, Starband or I-Direct.  If you settle on Hughes, we have an installer on site here.

(NO, not me, but he was MY installer)

Yes, DSL shares a standard phone line, but it has to meet certain quality standards as well as restrictions on distance from the phone company's switch and restrictions on  intervening equipment, e.g. no intervening PBX in the campground. Call the local phone company and ask about having your site wired for phone service and DSL.

Back
Top Bottom