Need help deciding between two trucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbarnes52

Thanks for all your help on my previous post. I have found two used Ram Duallys and wanted to get everyone's opinion on which may be "Better". I know that is a relative term.

Going to be pulling a 2019 Keystone Montana High Country 5th wheel, 14,500 GVWR.

Here are the two trucks.

One thing I am considering is selling the truck in 5 years. The 2014 has low miles but will it be harder to sell in 2026 when it's 12 years old. Thoughts?

You cannot compare the two based on your parameters. Which is perceived value in 5 years. Which one is going to break down more over the next 5. One is a Denali one is a SLT. You have to buy the one you like best. Its like saying which burger should you have McD or A&W or Burger King.
Historicly GM holds its Value better than Ram but thats not enough to base your decision on

All things being equal I personally would go for the Ram. There were tons of improvements in those 4 years. SLT may not be top of the line dress wise, but still offers everything most folks want in a truck.

There are a lot of variables on used vehicle pricing. Year, mileage, condition, price.

There are a couple of other significant factors. Perceived "luxury", perceived reliability, perceived reputation.

If you are evaluating 2 vehicles at the same price point and the years are different and the mileage is different that explains things a little once you start thinking about it.

If the condition is the "same" I always lean towards the lower mileage vehicle. I think the GMC and Denali also have a slightly better reputation in the reliability and luxury department.

Whatever they are both worth today the initial depreciation hit has been taken by someone and I would ot be focused on resale. I would be focused on price and mileage primarily.

There are a lot of variables on used vehicle pricing. Year, mileage, condition, price.

There are a couple of other significant factors. Perceived "luxury", perceived reliability, perceived reputation.

If you are evaluating 2 vehicles at the same price point and the years are different and the mileage is different that explains things a little once you start thinking about it.

If the condition is the "same" I always lean towards the lower mileage vehicle. I think the GMC and Denali also have a slightly better reputation in the reliability and luxury department.

Whatever they are both worth today the initial depreciation hit has been taken by someone and I would ot be focused on resale. I would be focused on price and mileage primarily.
Thank you for your insight! It definitely makes it difficult to compare as it is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Honestly, I am just looking for something that is overall reliable, won't have significant repair bills, and I can get a decent amount for it in 5 years. If you had to choose, which would you pick?

All things being equal I personally would go for the Ram. There were tons of improvements in those 4 years. SLT may not be top of the line dress wise, but still offers everything most folks want in a truck.
Could you elaborate? The entire 1-ton truck world is new to me so I am curious what the newer models would include.

Thank you for your insight! It definitely makes it difficult to compare as it is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Honestly, I am just looking for something that is overall reliable, won't have significant repair bills, and I can get a decent amount for it in 5 years. If you had to choose, which would you pick?
I am actually in the market for a truck and am doing similar research to you. I have an anti-dodge bias.

If they both can do the same towing/hauling mission I personally (based on what I know) would pick the GMC/Denali. Older wouldn't scare me except for electronics package but the Denali is pretty high end so probably not an issue. Lower mileage would please me.

Resale will be what it will be but probably just the normal "post new vehicle" depreciation rate.

I also tend to hit the forums for the vehicle before I buy anything used to see what kinds of issues people are dealing with. I also tend to avoid the "luxury" marques because the more gee-gaws you have the maintenance costs tend to be higher.

So if these were the only two choices I'd land on the Denali in all likelihood.

One of our friends has a Denali. Nice truck with lots of 'bling'. It drives well and tows their fifth wheel very well.

However, at least three times when we've traveled together he has had engine problems that required limping or being towed to a dealership. Personally I wouldn't buy one.

I'm more neutral on Dodge.

Is there a reason you're not comparing Fords?

Newer trucks have higher tow ratings for one. GM only offers one, 3.72 gear ratio with the Duramax. Ram offers several along with two different transmissions. My Ram dually had 4.10 gear ratio. Other than,loosing maybe .5MPH it was a towing beast. I could run all day up hills, down hills with my cruise control set. Truck just did not care. The I6 Cummins has 20% free moving parts. The power comes on at a lower RPM. Which means in the real world pulling from a dead stop you get moving easier.
Year after year all mfgs have made vast improvements in their trucks, so IMHO all else being equal, IE miles, price, GVWR, GCWR I would always opt for the newer truck.

Just for giggles, start paying attention to what hot shoters are driving! Lots of Rams, a splattering of Ford's and almost never a GM product. And these guys tow heavy and drive a LOT.

I recently spend months researching this very subject. There is a lot of info out there and to be honest, either truck will do the job just fine. It is definitely more of a preference thing.

There are things to look out for when researching and that will help you weigh your decision. I would talk to diesel mechanics or browse forums if you are comfortable enough reading through all of the issues others are seeing.

A couple of things that come to mind and please don't let this scare you at all.

The 2014 Denali has the LML Duramax motor, which is a great motor, but has its things to look out for.
- Most commonly, the CP4 high pressure pump on these years sometimes goes out and can cause big $ in repairs. There are things you can do to help prevent and further the life of the pump (adding a lift pump, using lubricity additives in fuel, or even swapping out with a cp3 conversion).

I ended up with a GM Duramax (L5P) which didn't start until 2017 model years and has the updated Denso high pressure fuel pump.

The rams cummins are great motors but the issues I have seen that come up on those is more with the transmission failing prematurely. Also the rest of the truck feeling cheap and sort of "falling apart".

These are just my observations and are in no way comprehensive. This is just what I have seen while looking for trucks.

I also looked at the Ford's, but did not see your mention of looking at them right now.

I went through this purchase decision recently too, although I was looking at trucks about 10 years older than you are. I had a slight incoming preference for GM/Duramax (which is what I ended up buying), but wasn't going to pass up a Dodge/Cummins or Ford/Powerstroke if I found the right truck at the right price.

Tow capacity wise, buy the truck that will tow your trailer with room to spare. I think either option you posted will fit that bill. Trailer Life Towing Guides are a good universal resource that can help you quickly access those numbers when shopping various years/makes/models, although nothing beats the actual sticker (inside the driver's door or doorframe) which is an image you can request from the selling dealer.

Price wise, you are paying more than 3x what I paid for my 2005 Duramax -- but obviously yours will be much newer and way less miles than mine has. I'm somewhat surprised that the 2018 Dodge is priced almost the same as the 2014 GMC. Four years newer is significant... and reasonable to believe the 2018 will be worth more in 5 years compared to the 2014, assuming they would be equally treated by you as the new owner. Even if the Dodge does have twice the miles to start. Any of these trucks will typically run well beyond 300k miles (on the low end) if properly maintained, and there are plenty of instances of 500k and beyond on diesels. There's a general belief in the diesel community that 150k or lower trucks are still in their prime, so that may be a factor in 5 years depending on the miles you plan to drive.

When it's all said and done, buy the truck you like the best, that will meet your needs and you can afford. While resale value is certainly a consideration, there are way too many factors to consider that could affect that future assumption. I buy vehicles in cash for my own use and enjoyment while I own them, and any $$ I get back in later resale is just considered a bonus. ;)

That's an easy one for me just based on the two carfaxes. I would go with the Ram. It looks to be a one owner lease return with no accidents. It's also from the south. The GMC has had two owners and been in an accident. It also spent some time in Wisconsin which means salt and rust. History is important. I personally don't care for the GM trucks of that era (2007-14). In 2015 they got much better interiors. Ram is newer and also probably has better payload numbers. More miles on the Ram but still low for a diesel. Just my two cents.

I bought a ’15 Ram 3 years ago with 60k miles. Now has 92k.
it is a beast. With a 11k lb flat deck and excavator, I hardly know it is back there. The ‘18 will have even more torque.

Hey there, I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to revive it with my 2 cents (cause I just love trucks). Both trucks seem to be great options for pulling your 5th wheel. The 2014 GMC Sierra Denali has low miles, which is definitely a plus, but you're right, it might be harder to sell in 5 years because of its age. On the other hand, the 2018 Ram 3500 SLT is newer and may be easier to sell in the future.

Hey there, I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to revive it with my 2 cents (cause I just love trucks). Both trucks seem to be great options for pulling your 5th wheel. The 2014 GMC Sierra Denali has low miles, which is definitely a plus, but you're right, it might be harder to sell in 5 years because of its age. On the other hand, the 2018 Ram 3500 SLT is newer and may be easier to sell in the future.
Ultimately, it comes down to your personal preference and budget. Have you considered checking out trucks for sale on Used Trucks for Sale and Trucks for Sale - Comvex Truck Exporter? They have a wide selection of trucks to choose from and might have something that fits your needs and budget. Anyway, LMK what you've chosen eventually.

Back
Top Bottom