Need help from all you crafty people out there.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

holdem

What is the best way to keep a sticker or decal to permantly stick to plastic. I was  thinking maybe after placing it I would spray some clear sealer over it ????????  ???  Thanks.

Don't know if that would help or not. Some plastics secrete resins/oils that are embedded to help protect them for UV and such and that ooze gradually loosens the adhesive. Sealing from the top keeps out moisture, but does nothing about the ooze from behind.  Is this plastic a surface you have had problems sticking things to before?  Decals stick great on somethings and not well at all on others - until you have tried one it is hard to guess what will happen.

We've had some success using rubber cement or fabric glue to re-attach decals that have loosened up over time.

holdem said:
What is the best way to keep a sticker or decal to permantly stick to plastic. I was  thinking maybe after placing it I would spray some clear sealer over it ????????  ???   Thanks.

go to michaels you can find sealant used for painting. Home depot also has non yellowing sealant, ask the paint guys. The reason I suggest this is two fold. One you can find one that has an UV protector in it and you also need to look for the kind that won't "yellow" with time. Simply apply that over the top after sticking it to wherever. You can get it in a spay can, there is all kinds. Matt, gloss, satin. I like satin. because it doesn't show. Gloss will make the colrs in the sticker more brilliant though. It will say it on the lable, non yellowing. I seal paintings ,cards ,stickers with it. I hand paint cards and seal the card with it. Prior to sticking it on take a fine sand paper, one of those sanding sponges you use on your nails will work fine. :lightly sand. Clean off with a clean water only rag to remove any dust. Put the clear bonding agent. I like using bonding agents that go into vehilce engins for permant stuff outdors because It is clear, withstands very high/low tempitures and is so stong and flexable, dries real quick. It bonds paper and plastic and medal good because it is made for putting seals into vehicle engines. But it's only 5 bucks at an auto place or harbor fright.

joelmyer said:
I used clear nail polish for labels on cassette tapes and boxes.

Hey Joel, cute, do you use your clear or pink tone???  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom