Need help with wind sway.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

padgett114

I have a 29ft 95 coachman santara with a 460 E350. I does have airbags on the back but not in the front. It seems to drive just fine but it will sway in the wind or if a big truck passes. How can i stiffen this up and not get blown off the road. This is our first Rv. Thanks

There are three products I'll tell you about.  but first

Many motor homes are  by nature top heavy, Sometimes the suspension on the chassis is such as to deal with that other times... Not so good.  Where I don't know but one motor home chassis intimately (mine, Workhorse Custom Chassis W-series) I know that some smaller vehicles are often put on a smaller chassis still.. This leads to newspaper headlines... YOU DO NOT WANT TO MAKE HEADLINES!!!! (unless they are the kind you get from cordoroy pillow cases)

The three products

Stering stablizers: These devices attempt to hold or help return your steering wheel to Front Dead Center: There are several makes and I won't even try to list them, There are a few types though

One type is a simple detent that tries to hold the steering centered
Another type uses a pair of springs to try to force it centered
Yet another uses a hydraulic Shock, in this there is an "A" and "B",  The "B" is made boy Blue Ox it has a valve and a control to allow you to re-center it FROM the driver's seat without using tools,  Very nice (True Center) Very not in production last I checked but very nice.. I have one

Trac Bars:  Does the tail wag the dog?  Many motor homes have this great big overhang on the back,  I mean that rear axle is nearly in the middle of the rig, not at the rear (Would drive much different if at the rear) this means that if there is any force acting on the REAR of the coach,,, Like wind from a passing truck, it tries to "Wag" the tail.  Makes it harder to drive.  Pan-hard bars can be put on the front or the rear.. .I'm told rear is more effective and plan on adding one later,  I have one on the front.

The idea of a trac bar is to keep the frame centered between the wheels right to left

Sway Bars:  "If the van's a'rocking, don't come knocking"  Imagine that the drive shaft is the center support of a teeter totter

As you drive down the road it teeters to one side, then totters to the other side then teeters then totters

Sway bars try to prevent this side to side "rocking" action  They do this by trying to keep the two sides of the frame the same distance ABOVE the axle  They allow up/down motion to compensate for rough roads. but require that both sides move up and down together. 

So, Which do you need?  Good way to figure it out is to have a partner follow you as you drive down the road.. Film it if possible and see.  But My guess is the Trac-Bar or Pan-Hard bar (2 names, same bar)

Roadmaster sells Davis Trac bars (What I have) Blue Ox has one and Ultra Power makes them for Ford and Worse. (or sells them) It's the one UP mode I'm considering,,, That's likely where I"ll get my rear trac  bar when I can afford it

As John has described, a track (panhard) rod is most likely to help. Another thing that would help would be a stiffer antisway bar - companies like IPD will have them for an E350-based motorhome.

But first get the rig weighed, axle by axle to see how you stack up against your GVWR and axle ratings.  All the add-ons in the world won't help much if you are just plain overlaoded.

Here's a question, if swaybars, track rods and such are so important why aren't they standard equipment ?  It seems a bit silly that so many people say they've added stuff like that and it's such a help, yet manufacturers don't just add them as standard equipment.
The answer is probably money - it usually is, but geez - seems kind of goofy

Yes, it's money, plus the fact that not every RV needs them. The bare chassis probably works fine without them, but once you pile on a huge motorhome body, which often ha a poor weight distribution besides, many entry level, gas chassis RVs do have handling problems. It's really the motorhome manufacturer that should add these things when needed (or specify that the chassis be equipped with them form the chassis factory), but most shoppers don't see or ask about the suspension and they do look very closely at the price, so...

So when I look @ Motorhomes I should ask about the suspension, but what should I ask and what do I want to hear ?  I'm starting to think I'm too dumb to get a motorhome !  There's SO MUCH to know !!  ARGH !!!!

Its all a tradeoff, mfgs can and do build motorhomes up to and including 36' with just a single rear axle and a long rear overhang. Longer than that they generally have a tag axle (single tires on each side) or double axles with duals. Smaller motorhomes of 30' or less handle better, as do the big coaches that are heavier, have more axles, and larger tires.
I own a 35' with one rear axle and have driven coaches smaller and larger and this has been my experience.

Woody

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anjoutdoors
Back
Top Bottom