Need to choose between a travel trailer or motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrshall

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and wanted some advice. I tried to search this topic, but didn't find anything really answering my questions, so I will start a new topic. If this is covered elsewhere, please redirect me.

Anyway, my wife and I currently have a 37' Kountry Star gas mh. It was great when full timing, but we now only use it to travel for short trips, maybe a week at a time. We are planning on selling it and downsizing to something she would be comfortable driving. We also have a new Buick Enclave we want to be able to take with us. It is towable, but weighs nearly 5,000 lbs. The Enclave also has a towing capacity of 5,200 lbs., and I have talked with enclave owners who say it is capable and comfortable to tow a 5,000 lb. trailer.

We are trying to decide whether to get a class c mh in the 26 to 30 foot range, or an ultralite tt around 21 to 24 feet. My thoughts so far are:
1. New tt is only about 1/4 cost of 2 year old mh;
2. Enclave is very comfortable to drive;
3. TT would be at or close to max load for the car;
4. How well would class c mh tow a 5,000 lb. car;
5. Most of my experience is with class a mh, had 3 over past 12 years, and tt many years ago;

I know the final choice is ultimately ours, but hopefully some members have been through similar choices, and can offer their thoughts.

Thanks in advance, JR

I could well be wrong about this, but I think most women prefer to drive a motorhome when given a choice.  I've loved driving all of our various motorhomes and would not like driving a trailer because I believe they're harder to handle.  We have quite a few women on this forum who drive their motorhomes, but I'm not aware of any who drive their travel trailers, except maybe Lucy.  Some drive with horse trailers too.  Any other women out there who drive with their travel trailers?  I'm curious to know who drives what.

ArdraF

jrshall said:
We also have a new Buick Enclave we want to be able to take with us. It is towable, but weighs nearly 5,000 lbs. The Enclave also has a towing capacity of 5,200 lbs., and I have talked with enclave owners who say it is capable and comfortable to tow a 5,000 lb. trailer.

Both the Buick literature and Trailer Life Tables give 4500 lb as the nominal tow rating for the 2009 FWD Enclave, provided you have the optional trailer towing package.  Otherwise the rating is 2000  lbs.  The AWD is unrated.  Your Enclave owners are suffering from a case of ownership glow I fear.

We recommend that you allow a 10% safety factor and using a trailer's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating in judging towability.  Thuse your tow optioned, FWD Enclave should be limiited to a trailer with a GVWR of no more than  4050 lbs.  In the mountain or Pacific west, we bump the factor up to 20% with gas engines to allow for altitude and grades.  There the trailer should have  GVWR of no more than  3600 lbs. 

3. TT would be at or close to max load for the car;

That all depends on the particular trailer's GVWR.

4. How well would class c mh tow a 5,000 lb. car;

That all depends on the motorhome's tow rating and the limitations.  Remember gasoline engined units will suffer the altitude problems out west that any tow vehicle would suffer and you need to allow 20% for that.  (Diesels do not have the problem.)

5. Most of my experience is with class a mh, had 3 over past 12 years, and tt many years ago;

You know, there is a lot to say in that for not switching out at all. 

ArdraF said:
I could well be wrong about this, but I think most women prefer to drive a motorhome when given a choice.  I've loved driving all of our various motorhomes and would not like driving a trailer because I believe they're harder to handle.  We have quite a few women on this forum who drive their motorhomes, but I'm not aware of any who drive their travel trailers, except maybe Lucy.  Some drive with horse trailers too.  Any other women out there who drive with their travel trailers?  I'm curious to know who drives what.

Cindy drives our TT and even sites it.

Carl,

Glad to hear that.  Too many women won't drive their RVs at all.  Of course, we do have a couple of ex-military ladies who can drive just about anything!  ;D

ArdraF

I have a GMC Acadia, brother of the Enclave and a very capable vehicle and a lovely ride. However, I think towing 5000 lbs with it is stretching. Besides, you aren't going to find many 4000-4500 lb trailers with the conveniences you are accustomed to. Suggest you take a look at what you can get that weighs 4000-4200 lbs (GVWR, not unladen weight) and see if you can live with that.

I think the trailer is a wide move if you will only be doing weekends or a week here and there, but I think you are going to want something in the 25-28 foot range. Even at 24 feet, you are going to need a brawnier tow vehicle. The Keystone Passport Ultralight 24RB (overall length 27'9") weighs in at 4575 empty and has a GVWR of 6000 lbs. The 19 footer (overall length 24'5") weighs 3860 empty and the GVWR is 5930. Even only half loaded (1000 lbs), that 19 footer will exceed your Enclave's tow capacity.  http://www.keystone-passport.com/

You need to consider a hybrid like the Rockwood Roo if you want to stay with the Enclave (and I  can understand why). Even then, you are talking 17-18 feet to stay in your weight range. 

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/resources/brochures/Rockwood_Roo_2008.pdf

Also take a look at Trailmanor. They have fold down trailers that open up to a nice size and also a new non-folding ultralight model billed as the world's lightest 24 foot trailer.
http://www.trailmanor.com/

Ok, my personal bias------------

Forget about towing stuff. Leave the Enclave at home.

Sell the big RV and buy a 24 foot Class C.

Here's why.  With a 24 foot vehicle for your 1 week trips you won't need to tow a car.
    You can park in a regular parking spot at stores and attractions, yet can live reasonably well,
with a double bed (or two singles) and all the amenities that RV-ers expect.  You will have a
two burner stove, a toilet and a "so-called" shower.

You can go exciting places, remote places, places that are off the regular maps, eg the Arctic Circle,
Newfoundland, the Navaho and Hopi reservations in Arizona, etc etc etc.

I often wonder why my wife and I moved UP to a 37footer from our great little 24 footer.
Life was more exciting then.

JMHO
Rankjo

I agree with Rankjo....look at 24-footish Class Cs or even Class Bs. I was able to drive our 24-foot Class C, we could go just about anywhere with it, and it only took up 2 parking places. Would have kept it but decided it was too small for us for traveling 6 months at a time.

As for women driving trailers, my 80-year-old mother does all their driving, including the truck towing their 28-foot 5th wheel. She used to do part of the driving when they had a 35-foot 5er.

Wendy
Bolsa Chica SB

Wendy,

How could I have forgotten about Dixie??  Your mom is one neat lady!

I agree with the others who recommend a smaller Class C that you can take into parking lots for shopping.  We had both an 18' and a 22' and both were good for that type of thing.  We took them all kinds of places, including circumnavigating the country and to Alaska.  We next had a 30' with rear walkaround bedroom and it was still "relatively" flexible.  We tried to park it with the rear hanging over grassy strips but sometimes the curb was too high.  With that one we finally got a Chevy Tracker (lightweight) and having a small toad gave us more flexibility in shopping and sightseeing.  So, the "cutoff" point is somewhere around 26'.  Lazy Daze of Montclair CA makes them in that range, e.g. 30' and under.  They're a good quality Class C - we've had two, 22' and 30'.  People keep them forever so there aren't many on the used market.  There are others in that range too.

ArdraF

I drive a 39" class A and I drive it into parking lots and park it all the time with no problems. My girlfriend loves driving it.

The nice thing about a 24-foot is that it doesn't take more than 2 parking spaces.

Wendy
Bolsa Chica SB

ArdraF said:
Any other women out there who drive with their travel trailers?  I'm curious to know who drives what.

ArdraF

I drive our 5th wheel, but I'm not very good at parking it.

Jeannine

Thanks for all the replys. Maybe I should add some more info.

First, the class b and small class c rigs are pretty much out. At 6'2", the beds are just too short. Also, I really don't want to pull up stakes each time we want to go shopping, golf, movie, etc.

My concern with towing the Enclave behind a class c is the short wheelbase of a 30' class c. While I haven't personally towed with one, I have heard a big car can introduce a lot of sway.

The trailmanor and also Forest River trailers look promising to me. I have been looking around some lots and have seem some others that look good. Names escape me at the moment.

Tow rating on the Enclave is a little uncertain. 2008 and early 2009's are rated at 4,500 lbs. However, the 2009 Acadia, virtually the same car, is rated at 5,200 lbs. BTW, mine does have the tow package. I have talked with owners who tow much larger trailers with their Enclaves, but I don't want to push its limits.

Thanks again, JR

Let's cut to the chase.   Your Enclave is a small SUV. At the best you are fiddling with numbers that amount to 700 lbs of tow rating.  Your rig is not going to safely rtow much more than a super light under 20 foot TT, a hybrid TT, or a tent trailer.   Are you sure that you want to cut back that far after years of Class A motorhomes?  My wife and I tow a TT with a SUV rated at 6600 lbs towing.  Our trailer has a GVWR of 5400 lbs and a scaled weight of 4650 lbs.    We would  not want anything larger to tow or smaller to live in.

I fear that you are trying to fit too much trailer to a beloved tow vehicle.  Yes, you can tow a 5-6000 lbs, as loaded, trailer with an Enclave.  However you will eventually pay for it in truck maintenance and, most improtantly, safety.  Brakes, transmission and engine will all suffer from overloads.    Furthermore, where do you plan to use the rig?  If it would be in the 11 western states, you will be grossly overloaded with a 5000 lb trailer.

Go motorhome, and go for one that has the tow capacity for the weight of your Enclave.  Most of the old timer motorhomers around here seem to tow a car or light truck.  Shoot, Tom Jones, our Wizop,  tows a Suburban (!) with his class A Monaco.  I have seem more than one MH towing a Bronco, my tow vehicle.

Carl L said:
Go motorhome, and go for one that has the tow capacity for the weight of your Enclave.  Most of the old timer motorhomers around here seem to tow a car or light truck.  Shoot, Tom Jones, our Wizop,  tows a Suburban (!) with his class A Monaco.   I have seem more than one MH towing a Bronco, my tow vehicle.
Thanks Carl,

We have looked at several class c motohomes in the 30 foot range with tow ratings of about 6,000lbs. (GCWR-GVWR, and also the weight stamped on hitch), but I am concerned that a smallish mh may get pushed around towing a long wheelbase car. I'm not really concerned with power. The mh's we've been looking at have gvwr of about 14,000 and gcwr of about 20,000, and using the Ford V-10. Our current mh has gvwr of 20,000 and gcwr of 26,000 (about) with the older Ford V-10. It tows a 3,500 lb. car comfortably, so I figure the lighter, more powerful class c should handle the heavier car without trouble. I am just concerned with how it will handle with small mh and large tow.

Hopefully, someone on this forum will have some experience in this situation. If so, any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm not really concerned with power.

I hate to say it, but this is one of those "famous last words" statements.  As a motorhomer for 35+ years, I can guarantee you that you WILL be concerned with power.  Maybe not right away, but eventually.  When we were creeping over Eisenhower Pass (11,000+ elevation) at 25 mph in our gas Class C, my husband said "We're getting a diesel pusher."  And we started looking as soon as we got home and did get a DP within a year.  So, like I said, you will be concerned with power.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
I hate to say it, but this is one of those "famous last words" statements.  As a motorhomer for 35+ years, I can guarantee you that you WILL be concerned with power.  Maybe not right away, but eventually.  When we were creeping over Eisenhower Pass (11,000+ elevation) at 25 mph in our gas Class C, my husband said "We're getting a diesel pusher."  And we started looking as soon as we got home and did get a DP within a year.  So, like I said, you will be concerned with power.

ArdraF

Was that on the way to or the way from Centermost? ;D

ArdraF said:

ArdraF
Maybe I misstated that. I meant that I am not concerned that I will have less pulling power than I have with my current setup. My main concern is with handling.

Every long grade I pull, I think how nice a turbocharged diesel would be. But I don't want to tie up my money in one at this time, so I make do with the gas. Never had a situation that I NEEDED to get somewhere faster. Most grades I can pull in second at 40-45, while the DPs are going up at 55 or so. On the really steep, high ones, I may only be going 15-20. If you are behind me, sorry, I'm going the best I can.

I just stepped outside to verify that my old gas Bounder was sitting in the driveway.  I submit that as proof that it has climbed every grade that I have ever asked it to. :D  Favorable air currents from passing DPs may have assisted on some, however.  ;D

Power: We have a 28-foot gasser. We live in Colorado. We're certainly slower than diesel pushers but we've never had a problem getting over the many high Colorado passes. Even with our old 24-foot Class C we were still able to make it over all those passes. Got passed by VWs quite a few times but hey, the slower you go, the more you can enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Handling: Last year, we towed a Ford Explorer on a dolly. We traveled from Colorado to California to Arizona, up and down over the mountains, through the desert. Never had a handling problem. It was a little scary going from Julian down to Anza Borrego but that was more a steep, windy "oh my gosh, we're going to burn up our brakes" kind of a problem (the co-pilot was a wreck, the driver was just fine).

Wendy
rainy Bolsa Chica SB - it's a great day for surfing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macamiguin
Back
Top Bottom