Needing a paint/wallpaper tip for our camper reno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaLaSo

Hey guys!

New to the community.. My boyfriend and I used to own a converted Delica van and thought it was time for an upgrade. We got a 97 Bigfoot Oakland 3000 camper a couple weeks back and are excited to start the renovations. We were hoping that if anyone has done this, they might be able to send a few hacks our way but specifically, I was wondering about the walls. It looks like our walls consist of the thin wood "luan" layer and then that is covered with a sort of thin vinyl/plastic wallpaper. MY QUESTION IS: Has anyone peeled this outer plastic layer off and just painted the wood underneath successfully?? And if so, did you have to seal it to make up for the fact that its no longer covered in a plastic-y layer? We are from Vancouver Island on the west coast of Canada so moisture is a huge issue for us. Any light on the subject would be appreciated.

Have an awesome day, ya'll!

I added a picture.. just to give an idea of what were dealing with.. don't mind the quality! Cheers!

Attachments

• 45B74D38-52A1-4E4F-A5BF-094A46A7474B.png
    45B74D38-52A1-4E4F-A5BF-094A46A7474B.png
    342.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
If the vinyl is solidly adhered, leave it alone.
Wash the walls with TSP and let dry.
Prime with something like Kilz primer, let dry.
Paint with latex paint of your choice.
Remember RVs are inherantly dark to start with, so use light colors

Thanks for the advice, Donn. I'm not so sure that they "vinyl" is actually vinyl.. its more of a thick plastic? Like a plastic wallpaper? It's a material I've never encountered.. but I've never had a camper before. Also, it seems to be peeling in some areas quite easily so i'm hesitant to paint over it if it's just going to peel off anyways.. Have you painted the underwood before?

No, but Im guessing the same would apply. The problem would be the wood will be porous and even 2 coats of paint youll likely still see the wood.

We just glued where it was peeling with white wood glue and then painted over it. If you start peeling it you could damage the luan in other places and create a hell of a mess.

RV interiors like that usually are made with pre-finished wallboard, i.e. the "wallpaper" was applied by machine in the factory where the wallboard is made. The RV factory assembly workers don't apply wallpaper as the coach moves down the assembly line, so the adhesion is usually pretty good. If high humidity and heat has started peeling, glue it down again with a quality adhesive. Vinyl wallpaper paste rated for kitchen & bath use should be ok.
Definitely clean & prime the surface as Donn recommended.

You will rue the day you ever start to peels it. The work will be intense and the outcome questionabl. Use the TSP Kilz method suggested by Donn

Back
Top Bottom