New 5er Purchase Shake Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well Lynx,

That is a good question. What make water hard is minerals in the water, such as lime, calcium, iron. Soft water is the lack of those minerals that is found to be in well water. You ever try to lather up with soap and the soap just won't lather up, that is the cause of hard water. I hate that, it is like taking a shower with rocks.

To answer your question if the water source is already softened what happens? Well, nothing happens. The water passes thru the softener without depositing any minerals onto the resins inside the tank.

Your question got me to thinking that the water may reverse the effects as the softened water would pull the minerals from the resins, but remembered that it takes sal****er to release the minerals from the resins.

I bought my house back in 1992 and had a water softener ever since and I am quite spoiled on soft water. So, my RV spring project a water softener and under the sink filtration system. I do not like to buy bottle water and have all that waste as in plastic bottles or jugs.

Having your well water tested is to determine what size unit is required and the depth of resin bed as in cubic feet for the amount of water you use on average and how many gallons of water softened before the unit needs a regenerate.

In an RV water softener, you won't have that automatic system, typically these RV Softeners you have to regenerate the tank manually when you experience poor water quality.

I know where I want to place and connect the Softener in the RV, but I need to fabricate a stainless bracket to hold the Softener in place. I don't have the softener yet for the dimensions. Have way too many projects right now and besides I am bleeding money from both arms. LOL. But when I get to this project you all will be a part this mess, I be asking questions and seeking advice.

Hope this answers your questions and if anyone else would like to chime in that would great. 

Steve, that is a great explanation of how a water softener works  ;D

I would suggest a whole RV particulate filter before the softener, then a second contaminant filter under the sink.  I got my filters from "RV Water Filter Store.  Dave was a wealth of information, and he had very good prices.

grashley said:
Steve, that is a great explanation of how a water softener works  ;D

I would suggest a whole RV particulate filter before the softener, then a second contaminant filter under the sink.  I got my filters from "RV Water Filter Store.  Dave was a wealth of information, and he had very good prices.

Thanks for the tip Grashley,

I will check out filter store. My rig has a whole RV filter system. I have not place a filter in the filter housing for this trip, being that it is brand new and the shake down was for a couple of days and then back to winterizing. Still need to get a battery maintainer for the RV batteries. Dang more $$$$$.

Back
Top Bottom